Herochat

Virginia's Democratic Party : A Sinking Ship?

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +15/-2
    • View Profile
Virginia's Democratic Party : A Sinking Ship?
« on: February 07, 2019, 09:11:30 PM »
CNN's Cillizza is a tool, but..........

That sound you hear is Virginia's Democratic Party collapsing on itself.

In the last six days, the following things have happened:

Gov. Ralph Northam said he was in a picture in his medical school yearbook of two people -- one in blackface, the other in KKK robes. He then recanted and said he wasn't in that picture. But he added that he *had* darkened his face to look more like Michael Jackson for a dance contest in 1984.

A woman named Vanessa Tyson accused Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of assaulting her during the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston. Fairfax angrily denied the allegations. Then on Wednesday Tyson released a statement, in which she said in part "what began as consensual kissing quickly turned into a sexual assault."

State Attorney General Mark Herring, in a statement released Wednesday morning, acknowledged that he, too, had appeared in blackface at a party. "In 1980, when I was a 19-year-old undergraduate in college, some friends suggested we attend a party dressed like rappers we listened to at the time, like Kurtis Blow, and perform a song," Herring said.

_______

Michael Moore decided to rub some salt in the festering wound

https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10155783805331857?__tn__=K-R

In Virginia’s 2017 Democratic primary for Governor, Democratic voters were convinced to vote for the “moderate” Democrat, Ralph Northam — because, as a “moderate,” he could “pick up Republican votes.” Democratic voters were told to reject the progressive candidate, Tom Perriello, a fearless Dem congressman backed by Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Now Virginia Democrats have learned what centerism and moderation got them. A hood & some shoe polish.

Avatar : Glynis Barber, as Harriet Makepeace
Sig : Casi Davis, as Cammy White

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia's Democratic Party : A Sinking Ship?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »
That's the Democratic Party in a nutshell. Closet racists that support eugenics based genocide of the Black race.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:39 AM »
Michael Moore decided to rub some salt in the festering wound

https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10155783805331857?__tn__=K-R

In Virginia’s 2017 Democratic primary for Governor, Democratic voters were convinced to vote for the “moderate” Democrat, Ralph Northam — because, as a “moderate,” he could “pick up Republican votes.” Democratic voters were told to reject the progressive candidate, Tom Perriello, a fearless Dem congressman backed by Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Now Virginia Democrats have learned what centerism and moderation got them. A hood & some shoe polish.

Honestly, can you blame Moore? At the end of the day, the establishment in both parties routinely end up being worse than ideological purists on either side.

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
who knew this guy

Would be more mature then politicians when dealing with playing a black celebrity. People got that he was doing michale Jacksom without the nail polish

People getting mad..that going after people over this stuff hurts the dems because the other side dont hold themselves to their standard. Well you shouldnt be going after them because you think it will force the other side to be held by the same standard (spoiler they wont) or it make you look less hypocrtical.  You should be going after your guys because  what they doing is wrong. Dont be groping women and dont dress as Klan members

And know when to seperate Bullshit scandals from real ones

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »
What do you guys think the right resolution to this is?  I've seen calls for all three to step down, calls for 2 out of 3, etc.

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
Issue in the age of no shame you can't really force the. To. They might just try ride it out

Rather it will work who knoww

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »
Issue in the age of no shame you can't really force the. To. They might just try ride it out

Just clarifying, you'd like all three to step down, regardless of the consequences?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious to see what the (mostly liberal I think) posters here regard as the right thing to do when the fourth in line is a republican who would presumably govern in a manner opposite to their values. 

Imperial

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:08:07 AM »
Northam and Herring should be gone already. If Fairfax is guilty, he should also go.

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »

Just clarifying, you'd like all three to step down, regardless of the consequences?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious to see what the (mostly liberal I think) posters here regard as the right thing to do when the fourth in line is a republican who would presumably govern in a manner opposite to their values.

Get the hesitation, some of the bills and polices they sign are pretty good. Like allowing X felons to vote..which they should because they serve their time. Now wouldn't put all 3 in the same caterogry. The one in black face might be lless fucked up then the person sexual assulting people they have. Hell can fogrive Ted Danson for his shit. But then agian Ted Danson not representing the state

But think they have to step down to at this point since it will always be the air. Virgin may simply not need this shit. its a bad reprensinative of the state. It just a bad fucking look. Since it just make it seem your state run by racist assholes. Then the mother fucker tried to moon walk. And he tried to lie about. And the michale jackson thing was in the fucking 80's. Come on man. So yea got to go

Is virgina one of that state where the governor fire his second in command and hire a new one.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
It’s so weird. If the photo was from the 1920s, I could chalk it up to “it was the culture at the time.” But it was from the 80s! Who was doing blackface in the 80s? That wasn’t that long ago. You’d think even hardcore racists would have thought that was corny by that time. Virginia must be a very different state.

On one hand, you could chalk it up to youthful shenanigans. He was young, young men do irreverent and edgy things, etc. But he wasn’t that young, and again, it was the fucking 80s, not the 20s. But being 22 and in school is not quite like being 22 and in the workforce.

It doesn’t seem like there’s anything in his adult life to suggest he’s treated black people unfairly. And in general I’m against people’s lives being ruined for what is essentially a harmless prank from years ago. If he had any other occupation it would be less of an issue. But as Govorner, he represents black Virginians, and of I were a black Virginian I might be far less objective about this. Though I’ve seen a poll where the majority of black Virginians don’t want him to step down, so who knows.

In general I like to err on the side of stability. He won the election, having him finish his term and then not run again. This is probably the most stable resolution to this. It’s definitely a compromise.

As for the Lt. Govorner being accused of sexual harassment, that is a more serious allegation, but it’s just an allegation and he denies it. Let the charges be investigated, and if found to be corroborated he can step down/be charged with a crime. Until then, he should just do his job.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:47:42 PM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »
No black person is surprised this happened in the '80s. Hell, look at how the CIA flooded black nehborhoods with crack cocaine.

As for what should happen, I say it depends on their records. Has either shown a bias against POC? What policies have the pushed/campaigned for? I can forgive past transgressions if I see real growth.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
No black person is surprised this happened in the '80s. Hell, look at how the CIA flooded black nehborhoods with crack cocaine.

I’m not surprised at the racism, I’m just surprised at the anachronistic way it was expressed. It’s like seeing a barber shop quartet on the top 10 singles list in 1987. I’m aware that probably sounds really naive, though.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »
Didn't we have a topic about some celebrity going as crazy eyes (from orange is the new black) in black face

That pops up every now and then. And there were a lot of people arguing  "Wha...what the big deal" on social media

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
all that said little iffy about dems say Zero tolerance when it comes to some of this stuff

Since Zero tolerance it just lazy sometimes and not thinking

Like what they doing with Omar iman. I would of worded what she said differently but some of the controversy bs. Namely since she said the same similar about saudi Arabia. And it not like the lobbying group she refering to doesn;t have a huge amout f power and money isn't involve. I mean punishing people for boycouting is one huge example. Pointing that out shouldnt be the same as saying F the jews

Imperial

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
Ilhan Omar's tweet could be said to be poorly worded or lacking awareness. But many of her critics are hypocritical to the max. These are people, including the house minority leader, who have skirted around/carried water for/even re enforced comments by Donald Trump and Steve King. As well as virtual signaled to actual bigots.

Democratic leadership is full of shit anyway. All they really care about is checking diversity boxes for window dressing sake. But those diversity people are not supposed to question the status quo. But rather, are expected to look different but keep the "old white guys" set system production line going. If they get out of line, they get smeared or slapped down. Just see Bernie Sanders and AOC.