Herochat

Tug Of War - Xena Warrior Princess vs a Roman warhorse

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
Tug Of War - Xena Warrior Princess vs a Roman warhorse
« on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:46 AM »
Xena's been captured by Caesar again and has been sentenced to death in the arena. One of her arms is chained to a huge pillar and the other to a huge warhorse, 18 hands high and weighing 1500lbs. The link to the warhorse is 10 feet long and her legs are unshackled. A soldier beats the horse repeatedly to drive it forward

Xena has to drag the horse with one arm so its back hooves come over a marker 4 feet away from her before the animal rips her arm out of its socket.

Who wins?
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
Re: Tug Of War - Xena Warrior Princess vs a Roman warhorse
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »
I never really watched the show, but i have to think she's done weirder shit than this?

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:18 AM »
She wasn't as wildly inconsistent as her version of Hercules but I could see her winning or losing based entirely on what the writer wants to have happen.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
I never really watched the show, but i have to think she's done weirder shit than this?

She had one outright crazy feat where she broke free from chains and kicked down a massive cell door but that seemed like one of those 'mother lifts car to free toddler' style deals

For straight-up strenght, more often she's in the 'athletic human' range but can kick opponents hundreds of feet. She easily beat Draco, a jacked warlord, at armwrestling, has thrown Gabrielle high into the air with one arm and once heaved over a rider AND horse in a gladiatorial contest

I'm not convinced she's outmuscling a big stallion though, much less with one arm. She often had a real fight on her hands restraining feisty horses in the show.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
She wasn't as wildly inconsistent as her version of Hercules but I could see her winning or losing based entirely on what the writer wants to have happen.

Pretty much how I see it.

I just saw two threads elsewhere where the popular opinion was that she was stronger than either MCU Cap or Buffy and I just don't think that's the case. I could see Conan pulling this off but not easily. I couldn't see Red Sonja doing it and I don't think Xena's any stronger than Sonja - in fact, Sonja's high-end strength feats are better.
Hyrkanian Badass

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »
Xena

shadowknight

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
The problem was both Hercules and Xena were inconsistant, plus almost every  male antagonist were written with PIS. Depending on the needs of the plot Herc and to a lesser intent Xena could defeat an small army or struggle against half a dozen no name characters.

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
I feel like she's not supposed to be strong enough to do this, by which I mean that the writers might have her do feats that are indirectly comparable but would shy away from writing a straight strength scene of this degree.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »
I feel like this is the exact type of strength scene that would be good for her

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 08:53:15 PM »
I must be misremembering Xena, or misremembering Roman warhorses, because I think this would be something she'd do without a problem.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
I must be misremembering Xena, or misremembering Roman warhorses, because I think this would be something she'd do without a problem.
That was my opinion too.
Thread has been food for thought, though.

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 06:05:40 AM »
I feel like she's not supposed to be strong enough to do this, by which I mean that the writers might have her do feats that are indirectly comparable but would shy away from writing a straight strength scene of this degree.

That's pretty much my view. We see loads of the Loony Tunes kicking armoured men over the horizon-type feats from her but very few straight-up displays of brute strength, and any big feats tend to be super-explosive bursts of energy, not sustained displays of power. In that feat with the gladiator in the arena I mentioned, it took her a few seconds of grappling to drag the horse over.

The writers seemed to prefer to reserve the brute strength displays for Hercules ... even Atalanta, who was definitely stronger than Xena IMO, didn't get many raw power showings, at least not in the TV shows. In the comics, Atalanta was shown carrying huge anvils around on her shoulder and chokelifting guys with one arm; Xena had a cool feat in one comic where she scared a loudmouth by grabbing the wheel of the chariot he was in and flipping it over.
Hyrkanian Badass

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 02:07:06 PM »
I don't see her outmuscling it, so much as do some sort of weird flippy thing and using the momentum to pull it down, before doing rolling thunder and leaping onto its back as it gets up, swinging the chain which has broken from its mooring as she does a battle cry

alternately, reading the OP, she just has to get it at four feet, which she could probably do.

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 08:09:15 AM »
I don't see her outmuscling it, so much as do some sort of weird flippy thing and using the momentum to pull it down, before doing rolling thunder and leaping onto its back as it gets up, swinging the chain which has broken from its mooring as she does a battle cry

Alternately, reading the OP, she just has to get it at four feet, which she could probably do.

I still think dragging a huge straining horse back against its will six feet with one arm might be expecting a lot of our Xena. I've seen Conan really struggle with stuff like this in the comics and I've no doubt he's stronger than Xena usually.

I could see it going like your first para in the actual show though, Sam and Rob LOVED giving Xena crazy shit to do. I saw a clip the other day where she got a soldier with a rana but instead of him landing at her feet, as happens in pro wrestling, she released him 3/4 of the way through the move and he went flying into a water trough about 100 feet away ... they showed him zooming over the heads of onlookers :D

Interestingly, I was reading an article on the net with little-known Xena facts and one was that Kevin Sorbo actually believed that Xena was every bit as strong as Hercules physically but was pissed off about that and believed Herc should be 'the strength guy', although he didn't have a problem with Xena being as tough a fighter as Herc. I don't know if there was some bitterness about Xena's success there, the article hinted that Sorbo wasn't comfortable with how Xena outgrew his own show.
Hyrkanian Badass

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 11:31:40 PM »
I thought she was a Conan class girl