Herochat

Kyle Rayner

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
Kyle Rayner
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
What has he been up to?

Haven’t read GL since Johns started and ruined everything, but wondering what he’s been up to the past couple years

NeoGreenLantern

• +97/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle Rayner
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
There was Green Lantern and the New Guardians which was ok. The best part was him stealing Carol from Hal. Then there was Omegamen which was fantastic. It was a really good character study for him. After that was Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp which was a huge step back for Kyle personality-wise. Up next he's supposed to be showing up in Titans which I'm excited for because he will be on the team with Donna.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
I actually JUST read Omega Men this week (we're reviewing it on my podcast tonight because we are on a Tom King kick), and I thought it was garbage. I, personally, thought the character in OM was "Kyle Rayner" in name only, and the story did not interest me at all.

Last I read of Kyle was Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps #17, which was an entire issue dedicated to shitting on Kyle, and then pointless stripping him of the one thing that DC let him be special for in the last 15 years (being the White Lantern). I dropped the title immediately.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/02/05/show-2-5-19-secretary-of-manga/ (Battle Angel Alita review, AND we name who would be a villainous Presidential cabinet)

NeoGreenLantern

• +97/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
Yeah it didn't get any better after that

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:43 PM »
Is that the one Kyle said he looks up to Hal?

How can writers justify comments like that? Other than extreme bias

NeoGreenLantern

• +97/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »
Yep that was in that title

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »
Such bullshit.
Kyle earned the GL name. If they wanted to bring Hal back he should have become his own deal. Like Guy when he had the yellow ring.
Have Hal in his flight suit/jacket adventuring through space.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:05:30 AM by Riv1 »

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 05:38:16 AM »
Such bullshit.
Kyle earned the GL name. If they wanted to bring Hal back he should have become his own deal. Like Guy when he had the yellow ring.

That would be a neat idea.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »

I don't have any problem with that, but what I hated was that Hal has a full-page monologue TO KYLE about how he (Hal) is the single greatest GL there ever was, and no one can do what he can do. But he tells Kyle that Kyle is also pretty okay because he mastered the emotional spectrum and became a White Lantern. And then the issue ends with his losing that power! So the comic had the main character tell us that Kyle is garbage except for one aspect... and then immediately took that aspect away.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/02/05/show-2-5-19-secretary-of-manga/ (Battle Angel Alita review, AND we name who would be a villainous Presidential cabinet)

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
Such bullshit.

Thanks.
I like Hal, but there would have been nothing wrong (and a lot right) w. him passing the torch.

That would be a neat idea.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »

I don't have any problem with that, but what I hated was that Hal has a full-page monologue TO KYLE about how he (Hal) is the single greatest GL there ever was, and no one can do what he can do. But he tells Kyle that Kyle is also pretty okay because he mastered the emotional spectrum and became a White Lantern. And then the issue ends with his losing that power! So the comic had the main character tell us that Kyle is garbage except for one aspect... and then immediately took that aspect away.

Telling him he looks up to him is fine.

Hal’s reply of “everyone knows” is ridiculous. In addition to that whole comic

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
Hal Jordan has always seemed like a bland character to me. Him turning evil was the first time I can remember liking him.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
Hal Jordan has always seemed like a bland character to me. Him turning evil was the first time I can remember liking him.
That was the whole point of turning him, yeah.

NeoGreenLantern

• +97/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
Oh and Kyle Rayner started appearing in Titans in December apparently. I thought it was still like a month off.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »
Ah, shit. Another book to start buying.