Herochat

The Rock & Statham - Hobbs & Shaw

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
Re: The Rock & Statham - Hobbs & Shaw
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 05:57:51 AM »
^^^yup

Was she in law enforcement?  Were you a criminal?
She was the criminal, i was routinely sent to opium centeal.

We managed not to cross paths though.

Oh shit, really?

^^^Yeah, family business.

Re: Han’s death, i noticed the incongruity of it in Shaw’s joining the team.
I cant recall the movie, but they had the same situation and the friend killer really stepped up, same as Shaw. Cue happy ending, only for one of the characters to kill that guy, in revenge. I was fully expecting the same w. Shaw. 

But, it is what it is.

It gets discussed with (and handwaved, imho) Chris Morgan here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/movies/2017/04/15/fate-furious-han-shaw-chris-morgan/amp/

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
I love stuff like that. People will make entire petty outrage videos over stuff like that. The finest of satire.

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
It’s weird that Hobbs still has a personal vendetta against Shaw but not Toretto.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Dom’s cool, though.

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
It’s weird that Hobbs still has a personal vendetta against Shaw but not Toretto.

Why would he have a Vendetta with Torreto?

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
Thats why i said he (Dom) was cool. Other than the usual at odds stuff there was nothing really to match Shaw’s killing.

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »

Why would he have a Vendetta with Torreto?

No, Toretto does not have a vendetta against Shaw but Hobs has a vendetta against Shaw.

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 10:33:54 PM »
I get what you're saying. I'm asking as to your critique, why would Hobbs have a vendetta in the first place with Torreto? They settled up.

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 05:30:55 AM »
I get what you're saying. I'm asking as to your critique, why would Hobbs have a vendetta in the first place with Torreto? They settled up.

I never said Hobbs had a vendetta against Toretto.  I said he had one against Shaw.

I mentioned Toretto not having a vendetta against Shaw when he should have one for killing Han.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 06:12:05 AM »
Yeah, no one on the team should logically be okay w. Shaw.
Thats why i said i felt it was handwaved by Chris Morgan.

I mean lets be honest, if Deckard Shaw had been played by someone as low on the acting totem pole as Luke Evans (no offense to him but Statham has a way bigger following and sells tickets) who played his brother, he likely wouldnt have gotten the backstory he did, and Dom shooting him dead wouldnt have been a swerve, but a fitting end to the guy who killed Han.
Someone else would have been written to save Dom’s kid, maybe Scott Eastwood’s newbie character, stepping up and getting everyone’s respect, possibly stealth filling the recently vacated handsome white guy spot of the late Paul Walker in subsequent movies and we wouldnt be having this conversation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:20:23 AM by Riv1 »

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
Yeah, no one on the team should logically be okay w. Shaw.
Thats why i said i felt it was handwaved by Chris Morgan.

I mean lets be honest, if Deckard Shaw had been played by someone as low on the acting totem pole as Luke Evans (no offense to him but Statham has a way bigger following and sells tickets) who played his brother, he likely wouldnt have gotten the backstory he did, and Dom shooting him dead wouldnt have been a swerve, but a fitting end to the guy who killed Han.
Someone else would have been written to save Dom’s kid, maybe Scott Eastwood’s newbie character, stepping up and getting everyone’s respect, possibly stealth filling the recently vacated handsome white guy spot of the late Paul Walker in subsequent movies and we wouldnt be having this conversation.

That might also be why he has a spin off with Hobbs.  It would be too awkward to have Shaw and Toretto being best pals but Statham is too bankable to kill off or remain a villain so they just teamed him up with Hobbs.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
The trailer makes Hobbs seem more like Rock than Hobbs and thismeta element is very odd.

I love Shaw though

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
Oh yeah. They went full on meta humor for Hobbs. He's a satire of the grim, brick wall from Fast 5.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
I hate being a hater as I thought Fast & The Furious 5 (the Brazil one) was the pinnacle of action movie world building, with awesome multi-movie character arcs and just the right amount of evolution of the stunts and action, where suspension of disbelief was bent but not broken. The only thing they could have done better was somehow tie Boswell (from Tokyo Drift, an underrated movie) into it.

But since then the franchise has been a victim of its own success. I agree that considering what Shaw did to Han, there’s just no way he could have been forgiven. This comes off as fan service.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Wyntyr

• +115/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
Everybody shits on Tokyo Drift, but it's at least a thousand times better than 2Fast
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches