Herochat

Would a united Korea be good or bad

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
Would a united Korea be good or bad
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:08:25 AM »
Not a lotta chatting going on, so wanted to ask.

A united Korea (not under Kim Jong-un/Norh Korea's govt., but Moon Jae-in/South Korea’s govt.), what would it mean, if anything.
Does it change the balance of power in the world and in who’s favor?

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

Uhtceare

• +33/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Would a united Korea be good or bad
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:25:56 AM »
That would be a wonderful thing. Millions upon millions of people free of one of, and quite possibly THE most horrific dictatorship on earth.

As for the balance of power: it would most likely make America even more powerful, since the South Koreans have been close allies, and even the North Koreans don't like China. North Korea puts up with China because it has no one else who would even want to be allies with it. That would evaporate quickly once they were reunited with their South Koreans brethren.

There is a small chance that Korea, having gotten what it's wanted for decades, would want to bow out of international alliances. In which case we might lose our bases there. But we'd still have bases close by enough that our power in Asia wouldn't be badly damaged.

And even a Korea that tried to be neutral would face the same problems that Vietnam did: they are right next to China, which wants to control virtually all of the shipping routes in the pacific. I.e. the nine-dash-line problem. China's ambitions means Korea would de facto side with us on pacific ocean issues even if they want to be neutral.

And since they would be siding with us as a united and powerful country, we'd benefit greatly even if they boot our bases out.

So yeah, America wins in the event of a united Korea. It's only a small question of whether we win a little more than we lose, or we get an around the world grand slam with a cherry on top of wonderfulness when it comes to Asia.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:54 AM »
Well hell, thanks man that was great!

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »
Bad idea.

Economically, while South Korea is one of the wealthiest countries in Asia, they still don't have the infrastructure to support the population of another country, which would inevitably happen.  North Korea has been stripped of most resources and its people are often uneducated so there would be little of value for that part of the peninsula.  It doesn't help that South Koreans have a tendency to look down on North Koreans despite giving them refuge.  It's not uncommon for North Korean refugees to feel alienated.  This resentment would only grow if these groups were lumped together with the wealthier side feeling like the poorer side doesn't pull its weight.  You know how some people in the West look down on migrants and immigrants?  Same deal here.  Except Western countries are better at embracing foreigners than Korea who has a long history of being "The Hermit Nation" due to a combination of Confucianism and spending centuries fighting their neighbors who kept trying to invade.  I would imagine there would be an increase in crime, loss of jobs, and a lot of instability neither side is prepared for.

This reminds me of a friend back in South Korea who ran a school.  He had a summer program where they took North Korean refugees from a different school and had his students spend a weekend with them.  He said you could almost tell who was from the North and who was from the South just by looking at them.  Culturally speaking, they are two different countries.  The Southern kids all had expensive clothes, were a bit lazier, and generally took everything for granted.  The Northerners were more appreciative of what they had and humble since they came from a third world country.  They even looked differently physically since the Northern kids were usually shorter and in better shape while the Southerners were taller but fatter by comparison.  The kids at this camp got along, mind you, but it was obvious they came from entirely different backgrounds.  On a small scale it worked but on a national one, it would take a lot of time before things settled down.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:26:22 AM by AP »

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
^^^this seems really likely yeah.

A couple of guys at KMC brought this up too, comparing it to East & West Germany’s unification, but saying it would be much much worse.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:20 AM »
The best thing for Korea as a whole would be to eliminate the barrier between
them and of course, to remove the Kim line.

They'll never be a truly "united" country, they've been in a way, at each other's
throats for too many years with too much stress towards one another. Their
cultures are so different from one another that even with the above done, they'd
still act like different countries despite being "united."

I don't think there will ever be a one nation one leader thing unless the North
gets a huge social, political, and cultural reformation.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm not Korean and I've never been there. One of my best friend's is Korean American and I'm pretty close with his family so most of my opinion is informed by his parents.

I think it has the potential to be a good thing and is something worth hoping for. That is a vast oversimplification. Sure, the whole thing could go tits up, and there will be a LOT of issues along the way, but we need to look at it as a multi-generational process. The way things are right now are awful. I think I heard someone on the Joe Rogan podcast - probably Michael Malice - refer to the entire population of North Korea as being hostages. Millions of people being held hostage by a cult of personality, an entire country that is an open-air prison camp. It would absolutely be a good thing if this changed, even though it will be an economic hit to South Korea. It will be messy and chaotic, and it won't be perfect. But neither was Germany's reunification.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:12 AM »
I'm not Korean and I've never been there. One of my best friend's is Korean American and I'm pretty close with his family so most of my opinion is informed by his parents.

I think it has the potential to be a good thing and is something worth hoping for. That is a vast oversimplification. Sure, the whole thing could go tits up, and there will be a LOT of issues along the way, but we need to look at it as a multi-generational process. The way things are right now are awful. I think I heard someone on the Joe Rogan podcast - probably Michael Malice - refer to the entire population of North Korea as being hostages. Millions of people being held hostage by a cult of personality, an entire country that is an open-air prison camp. It would absolutely be a good thing if this changed, even though it will be an economic hit to South Korea. It will be messy and chaotic, and it won't be perfect. But neither was Germany's reunification.

The difference between East and West Germany wasn't as extreme as the difference between North and South Korea and they were not a part for as long.  There are more people alive today that remember two Koreas than remember one.