Herochat

New Shazam trailer!

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
Re: New Shazam trailer!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
Not sure what my thoughts are on superpowered Sivana, but the rest of it is great.
Truten forever!

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
I still reserve judgment

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
This movie looks really goofy and lame to me. I don’t know if it’s the movie itself or I’m finally succumbing to nihilism and existential dread, however I hope it does well.

Whenever a movie has an extended trailer I think that’s a negative prognostic indicator.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
Preach

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
This movie looks really goofy and lame to me. I don’t know if it’s the movie itself or I’m finally succumbing to nihilism and existential dread, however I hope it does well.

Whenever a movie has an extended trailer I think that’s a negative prognostic indicator.

As someone who is still a optimistic child at heart this movie gives me the warm fuzzies.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
I don't want Ares this and all, because I'm not really a Captain Marvel/Shazam fan and I'm glad DC's breaking the whole 'everything must be dark' kinda mentality, but I never really saw the character as being goofy like this.

Now humor can and has worked with properties in the past, like GOTG and Thor, but I dunno, this just doesn't seem right to me.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »
I don't want Ares this and all, because I'm not really a Captain Marvel/Shazam fan and I'm glad DC's breaking the whole 'everything must be dark' kinda mentality, but I never really saw the character as being goofy like this.

Now humor can and has worked with properties in the past, like GOTG and Thor, but I dunno, this just doesn't seem right to me.

Oddly enough, making it this goofy also makes it more realistic (which was what they were initially going for).  If a 13 year old boy gets powers, he's not gonna be all noble and heroic.  He's probably gonna goof off with his friends, try to buy beer, and generally be a doofus about it.

Uhtceare

• +35/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 06:51:01 PM »

Yeah, I've always seen as being more like the current movie Spider-Man, only even more painfully kind. The sort of character who embodies gentle innocence. I could totally see comic Captain Marvel apologizing to people for forgetting their names while saving them like Spider-Man did in the Thanos fight.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 07:14:00 PM »

Oddly enough, making it this goofy also makes it more realistic (which was what they were initially going for).  If a 13 year old boy gets powers, he's not gonna be all noble and heroic.  He's probably gonna goof off with his friends, try to buy beer, and generally be a doofus about it.

that's not really Captain Marvel though is it? I mean Nu 52 maybe, but that isn't really who he is.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
No one really seems to agree with how he should be written.

Personally I think he should be written as a young teen in a man's body even with the wisdom of Solomon nagging at him. Which I think we will be getting here because in one trailer you see him trying to get beer but in a other trailer they show him walking out with soda.

MTL76

• +1141/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »
The way I see Captain Marvel is that when he’s in Captain amarvel mode, nobody should be able to guess he’s really a kid. He acts like an adult, though an earnest and unjaded one. When he’s a kid, he’s a kid.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »
but I never really saw the character as being goofy like this.

I guess if there's a sequel then there's potential for the kid to be less goofy as he grows more into a teen.

Like Harry Potter, the story & dialogue became more serious as the cast grew older.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
The way I see Captain Marvel is that when he’s in Captain amarvel mode, nobody should be able to guess he’s really a kid. He acts like an adult, though an earnest and unjaded one. When he’s a kid, he’s a kid.

See that doesn't make sense to me. The only aspect of his power that should change is personality is the wisdom of Solomon and there isn't really any aspect of that says don't act like a goofy kid (ie doing the floss dance)

On the other hand wisdom telling him to put the beer back and get soda makes sense.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »
^^^yup.

What part of kid at heart dont ppl understand.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 06:29:48 AM »

See that doesn't make sense to me. The only aspect of his power that should change is personality is the wisdom of Solomon and there isn't really any aspect of that says don't act like a goofy kid (ie doing the floss dance)

On the other hand wisdom telling him to put the beer back and get soda makes sense.

True.  Wisdom has nothing to do with personality.  Doing the Floss is not unwise or anything so it makes sense he'd do it because he's a kid.  We would all be doing the floss if we had powers and that dance existed when we were kids.

Although I get the notion that Wisdom is something he has to unlock by the climax.  It seems he has to learn how all his powers work and with Silvana being the big bad, I'm wondering if the climax involve him finally understanding Wisdom and figuring out a way to defeat him.  Just a hunch.