Dragonball Super: Broly
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Anyone else see the movie? It changes the series in many ways

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Super: Broly
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:33:12 PM »
Just got back from seeing it. I loved it. Just a shit load of smashing.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
The Gotega v Brody fight worth it?

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
Everything from the beginning fight of Vegeta vs Broly to Goget vs Broly is all goodness. I'm also fully on board with the ending.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
Everything from the beginning fight of Vegeta vs Broly to Goget vs Broly is all goodness. I'm also fully on board with the ending.

Yup. It seems up the best dragonball universe we have had in a very long time. I am excited for whats next :-)

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
So pumped for this!

The animation looks spectacular!

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »
The animation was spectacular. Though I prefer Toriyama and Takahasi's harder lines to the softer art on this one. But yeah, the 360 camera pans, the 3D animation and the choreography to this fight is beyond anything else in the series. Not even close, honestly.

Emotionally I didn't count on Broly being as likable or sympathetic. But seeing everything that has shaped him, and then seeing him lose it. Frieza becomes a better monster because of it. 
And the Space Force soldiers that befriend him aren't annoying and Paragus was a good dad. He was using Broly like in the last one. Honestly that's what made the movie endearing, a story of fathers and sons. Vegeta to Vegeta, Bardick to Goku and Paragus to Broly.

SPOILERS:

Broly survives and Goku and him end on friendly terms. It'll be interesting to see how often he'll make an appearance, if at all moving forward. But Goku said he wanted a training buddy and that Broly, "...maybe stronger than Beerus."

Battle board stuff: Goku does a little better against Broly than Vegeta and and more pissed off Broly at that. Broly doesn't go full Legendary Super Saiyan until after Gogeta shows up and Gogeta has so go SSGSS in order to gain an edge over Broly, but he does look comfortably above him after doing so. Their fight breaks a realty barrier. Prepare to have a seizure from all the colors.

Critiques:
I felt Vegeta would not have been content to give up against Broly and just easily let Goku have a go, especially considering Vegeta hadn't maxed out against him.
Not enough of Broly's Legendary Super Saiyan form. It was awesome and only got a few minutes of screen time.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:07:30 PM by Bandido »

Gree

• +47/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:38:58 PM »
Is this online yet

altoon

• +12/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:00 AM »
Wonder why they decided to change Bardok story so much?  They must have plans for him down the line for them to go through the trouble.  He really played no part in the Broly story so I'm curious what they have planned for him.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »
I felt Vegeta would not have been content to give up against Broly and just easily let Goku have a go, especially considering Vegeta hadn't maxed out against him.
Not enough of Broly's Legendary Super Saiyan form. It was awesome and only got a few minutes of screen time.

Agree with your full analysis Bandido! I want to see it again, more like three more times. For the Vegeta aspect, I think the reason he didn't max out against Broly was so Vegeta fans could finally have a movie where Goku did infinitely better than him purely because he is stronger. They left wiggle room for why that was, IE Vegeta didn't max out.

Wonder why they decided to change Bardok story so much?  They must have plans for him down the line for them to go through the trouble.  He really played no part in the Broly story so I'm curious what they have planned for him.

Look up Dragonball Minus. It was basically Toriyama's way of making his manga story canon. Community is divided for sure on whether or not they prefer the original Bardock story or Toryiama's version.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »
Did anyone else love the moment of clarity for Goku where he decided to talk Broly down instead of keep fighting him? As much as I loved how they imbraced Goku as a childish meat head I was very happy he showed a level of empathy everyone else didn't have.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
Did anyone else love the moment of clarity for Goku where he decided to talk Broly down instead of keep fighting him? As much as I loved how they imbraced Goku as a childish meat head I was very happy he showed a level of empathy everyone else didn't have.

1000%, its important for Goku to be Goku. Meanwhile, Vegeta literally tried to kill him. I think it was a good moment for Goku to yell "NO, VEGETA!" during that moment too. Vegeta is still a much better person but its well aligned for his character that he would have less patience than Goku for a Saiyan gone mad and releasing planet destroying energy blasts needlessly.

Bandido

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »

That was an issue I had. Mainly because the original Bardock story was so awesome, with the Bandanna soaked in blood.

ProjectCornDog

• +17/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »

Probably because at the time, it led to that nonsensical bullshit followup movie where Bardock fought against
Freiza's ancestor, and it had turned out that Bardock was the "legendary" Super Saiyan of legend. Which was
fucking retarded.

Also they needed to make Broly's transformation and power a little more "unique", as it seems that just about
any Saiyan can go Super, so for the form to actually carry some kind of legitimacy to being called "legendary",
they retconned the previous lore and replaced it with the new explanation, that its an extremely rare kind of
power level that drives a Saiyan insane because they can't handle all that power, and makes them highly
destructive.