Herochat

Martin Luther... "Koon"?

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
Martin Luther... "Koon"?
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/al-roker-defends-local-meteorologist-fired-for-using-racial-slur-he-made-an-unfortunate-flub/ar-BBS23eK?ocid=ientp

Jeremy Kappell, a weatherman fired for apparently using a racial slur on air, says it was an honest mistake — and Al Roker is in his corner.

The chief meteorologist at NBC affiliate WHEC in Rochester, New York, was fired after he uttered the word [coon], which has been used as a racial slur against black people, while referring to a park named after the civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

In an interview with the Today show Tuesday, Kappell said he tripped over his words, accidentally combining “king” and “junior.”

“Two words mashed together incorrectly. What I said wasn’t even a word, it was a sound — people, I believe, read into that,” he said.

There's more, plus a video of the incident.

That's pretty fucking retarded, the dude got fired over stumbling over his words.

So... is this something? Or nothing?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:30:43 PM by Not BAMF »
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/03/19/show-3-19-19-clementes-bridge/ (Who are the definitive artists for Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Batman, and others! Also a review of 21)

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Luther... "Koon"?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
   I once worked at a car dealership and in an effort to not swear on the sales floor we used to refer to customers we didn’t like as “goons”. That was fine except that we had a young “developmentally challenged” guy who worked there as a gofer. Trying to be one of the guys he used the word a lot, except he mispronounced it “gooks”
   We would correct him sometimes, but nobody thought about what that word actually meant until the day an Asian family came in to pick up their new car, and Andy came out of the back room. You never saw so many salesmen try to cover one poor guy’s mouth at the same time.
   If this local weatherman just made an unfortunate mistake he should apologize and that’s the end of it. If it turns out that he’s a racist asshat who uses that phrase all the time, then you can burn him to the ground.
   Or does that make too much sense?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:50:14 PM by Not BAMF »
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
This is stupid.  If it was an honest mistake and the guy just stumbled over his words, he shouldn't have been fired.  There are a ton of news bloopers out there where news anchors say fuck by accident and stuff.  They don't get fired.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
Sooo stupid...!

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »
Yeah I saw the clip. The guy accidentally combined king and and the first part of Junior and got the second worst word he could accidentally say.

Honestly if I was in the same position I would have stopped and aknowledged the mistake to try and save face.

Bran Mak Morn

• +17/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
So I work at a community kitchen.
We run these corporate functions where we get groups of people (from various companies & organisations) to prepare large amounts of meals to feed the less fortunate.

The basic rundown is an introductory speech then they go into the kitchen to peel & chop vegetables...volunteers gather up the vegies & the chefs cook up big vats of curry veg & rice or pasta dishes.
Whilst the food is cooking, the corporate group gets sent back out for snacks & another talk. Once the food is cooked, they come back into the kitchen to package the food into take away containers with their company logo sticker on it.

The other day, we had a small group of probably 12 people. Mostly Asian, Indian & a couple Middle Easterns...none of them could speak fluent English.

Anyway they'd finished peeling & chopping & it was time for them go back to their seats so we could carry on with the cooking...

The head chef, instead of saying, "It's time to take a break. You can go back to your seats now..." yells out, "GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!"

The racial implications obviously flew above their heads but I was pissing myself with laughter.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 12:35:58 AM »
Yeah I saw the clip. The guy accidentally combined king and and the first part of Junior and got the second worst word he could accidentally say.

Honestly if I was in the same position I would have stopped and aknowledged the mistake to try and save face.
I’da been like ‘well, it was nice working here’ and then kept going.

therock

• +56/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
sounds like a freudian slip

But probally a mistake. Wouldn't have fired him along is it the only incident. After all I made many a spelling mistake. Never have a spelling mistake where I accidently* wrote something racist,sexist, or homophobic...but still understand the dude plight

*keywod accidently

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
  Spelling something out on a keyboard gives a person a chance to look over what they’re doing before it goes out to the world. Mispronunciations don’t especially when it involves a live mike.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.