Herochat

Is anybody else sick of the whole "We need Diversity/Boo Diveristy!" thing yet?

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
   What part of my opinion did you think was “laughable” exactly?
   Yes, I’ve heard of Jim Rhodes, and if you were paying attention you would have realized that he fits the criteria that I approve of.  Like Carol D. He is a long time character who takes over a hero persona in a logical and story driven way.  I also enjoy the young female Arabic character who took over the Ms. Marvel monicker from Carol.
   Or don’t you care about minority’s who aren’t Black
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile

👆🏿👆🏿👆🏿
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Riv1

• +71/-1062
    • View Profile

👆🏿👆🏿👆🏿
LOL

’One broken scourge, coming right up!’

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile

Clearly, there aren't enough black characters, since we're drowning in Hispanic & Middle
Eastern ones.

Oh wait.

Riv1

• +71/-1062
    • View Profile
^^^noooice, lol

’One broken scourge, coming right up!’

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
^^^noooice, lol

In all seriousness, I'd argue that both (especially Hispanics) have gotten royally shafted in American comics. Black representation is significantly better than it used to be. There are extremely popular black male and female characters that have assumed lead roles in team books and have led successful solo series.

Now apply any of that to Hispanics. You won't even get a 1/10th of the same representation (or respect), despite the large amount of hispanic artists Marvel's had over the years.

And in case someone mentions Miles Morales, as much as I like him, his hispanic heritage is almost nonexistent, save for his last name. He is almost 100% of the time portrayed as just a normal black kid, which is fine, there havent been many of those characters incomparison to caucasian ones, but fuck, there can't be just a Spanish (and not a mixed race) character for once?

TLDR, Jelly doesn't have a pot to piss in for this argument. Black characters absolutely get props. Spanish ones don't.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:17:25 AM by Red Exodus »

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
Asians gets shafted in a different way. There might be a little more Asian characters but they are almost always either martial artist or scientist.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
Asians gets shafted in a different way. There might be a little more Asian characters but they are almost always either martial artist or scientist.

A few years ago when people decided they were pissed off about Iron Fist being a white guy instead of an Asian, I couldn't help but think they were playing into some Asian stereotypes.

That said, I'm still baffled as to why Marvel hasn't brought back Silohuette.  She is an Asian woman who is also disabled.  She is three minorities in one and has been around since baout 1989 and yet, there's no love for her.  It's probably because she was a New Warrior.  Marvel just doesn't want them to be awesome anymore.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:03:40 PM by AP »

ProjectCornDog

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
As a minority, I hate it.

From a marketing point of view, I see it as the lazy easy thing to do. Why?

Make someone a tranny, flip the gender, flip the race, and you'll have a slew of news outlets begging for stories like that sharing it and you get instant buzz. The strategy and marketing guys have tangible results to show their bosses the next day and the cycle continues.

But I think there's plenty of examples where effort and passion can have the same results and you don't have to pander to do it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
How often do changes like that actually happen though? Especially in the actual comics. The only example I can think from the comics is Iceman coming out. Yeah we get more diverse legacy characters but they are all new characters.

We see it sometimes when a property gets adapted into a different format but again I can't think of an instance where it fundamentally changed the character.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile

A few years ago when people decided they were pissed off about Iron Fist being a white guy instead of an Asian, I couldn't help but think they were playing into some Asian stereotypes.

That said, I'm still baffled as to why Marvel hasn't brought back Silohuette.  She is an Asian woman who is also disabled.  She is three minorities in one and has been around since baout 1989 and yet, there's no love for her.  It's probably because she was a New Warrior.  Marvel just doesn't want them to be awesome anymore.

The New Warriors had a pretty diverse line up at times with some interesting concepts. Wish marvel had given them a push instead of writing them off. They could have had a nice revival.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile

The New Warriors had a pretty diverse line up at times with some interesting concepts. Wish marvel had given them a push instead of writing them off. They could have had a nice revival.

I know, right?  Most of the members were female and/or non-white.  They would be perfect for the current climate but Marvel has just been inexplicably shitting on them for the past 20 years or so.

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
Yeah I would love for them bring back the NW. Especially if they can reverse the bullshit from Civil War lead up.

It would be really funny to see how the boo diversity people would handle the return of Silohuette.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile

I know, right?  Most of the members were female and/or non-white.  They would be perfect for the current climate but Marvel has just been inexplicably shitting on them for the past 20 years or so.

Yeah they would have been an ideal fit for the current climate. Major arcs in the original included

Eco terrorists fighting corrupt corperations.
Night Thrasher identifying areas he fell were ignored by other heroes and talking about the need for. New perspective.
The Warriors not accepting international law and intervening in war zones.

All that was part of the title and fit the characters involved pretty organically. The team could be really well recieved by a lot of people today.

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
This is adjacently related but Doug Tennapel, creator of Earth Work Jim and a person not too keen on diversity, seems mad at DCs upcoming vertigo series , Sun-Man and Jesus: Second Coming. Basically it's about Jesus's return and he's rooming with a Superman stand in so he can rebrand himself as a superhero.

I'm not sure how that's offensive but apparently people aren't happy about it.