Herochat

Is anybody else sick of the whole "We need Diversity/Boo Diveristy!" thing yet?

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
and now Immortal Hulk apparently.
What about it?

Yeah what about it?
I’m about to finally break down and get that damn book.

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Hulk smash white privilege.

Honestly, when I was reading it last week I was like "Wellll this is going to be a thing"

Jackie McGee is talking to the Hulk that because he's basically a white guy he can get away with his rampages and then be forgiven while her being black and woman, her anger is at best dismissed, at worst gets her shot at.

Jackie: We live in a world of---of MEN---white, college-educated men, men like Bruce Banner who just rant and scream and rage and---smash things------and the world bends over backwards to understand that. Reward that.

The Hulk admits he likes what she's saying because she's not ashamed of being angry.

That's apparently worth losing your mind over. A black character explaining her viewpoint of the world and the Hulk liking the fact that she's not ashamed of being angry about it.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
Oh dear God ppl are STUPID.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile

Honestly, when I was reading it last week I was like "Wellll this is going to be a thing"

Jackie McGee is talking to the Hulk that because he's basically a white guy he can get away with his rampages and then be forgiven while her being black and woman, her anger is at best dismissed, at worst gets her shot at.

Jackie: We live in a world of---of MEN---white, college-educated men, men like Bruce Banner who just rant and scream and rage and---smash things------and the world bends over backwards to understand that. Reward that.

The Hulk admits he likes what she's saying because she's not ashamed of being angry.

That's apparently worth losing your mind over. A black character explaining her viewpoint of the world and the Hulk liking the fact that she's not ashamed of being angry about it.

Clearly that woman needed to check her privilege, because Hulk identifies as a green man, not a white one.

In some bizarre way I'm sure she's not "wrong" per say, but it is exactly that, bizarre (or just completely wrong) to use the cliche ostracized nerd who became a monster who is largely hated, feared and still ostracized, even by his friends and enemies alike for what he is, as an example of "white privelege."

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
It's a bit heavy handed I'll grant you, and I knew it would ignite the fires so to speak, but it doesn't really bother me. It's just her point of view.

It's not something on the level of say Titania allowing Jane Foster to take she and the Absorbing Man in because Thor's suddenly a woman and that supersedes her loyalties and self-preservation. Now that I can see rolling one's eyes at because it, like Galactus puking, is just bad writing.   

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
^^^imo, it IS wrong of the character to have gone on that tangent, but, i know a ton of black ppl (many in my family when i was growing up) who dont care about the details, and just have blanket state of mind on the matter.
So, the scene seems to have been accurate as far that hies.
Some ppl just think what they think, and its not always PC.

AP

• +129/-56
    • View Profile
Yeah, Hulk has it easy and people have always been cool with his ranpages because he is a light shade of green.

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
^^^imo, it IS wrong of the character to have gone on that tangent, but, i know a ton of black ppl (many in my family when i was growing up) who dont care about the details, and just have blanket state of mind on the matter.
So, the scene seems to have been accurate as far that hies.
Some ppl just think what they think, and its not always PC.

or is as the case may be  ;)

NeoGreenLantern

• +97/-23
    • View Profile

I haven't gotten around to the current Hulk yet. Why kind of Hulk we talking about. Banner controlled hulk or regular hulk. If it's Banner controlled I'm sure he would agree Hulk has gotten off light. If It's Hulk Hulk I'm sure he would probably be pro anger.

So yeah I dont see what's the problem with the scene other than a character expressing a perfectly valid and real perspective of the world

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
it's pretty well Gravage Hulk.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
Yeah, Hulk has it easy and people have always been cool with his ranpages because he is a light shade of green.
Lets not even get into Grey Hulk’s status...!

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
  Carol Danvers has been Ms. Marvel/Capt. Marvel for decades (along with many other hero id’s) and was a supporting character long before that so using her for the movies makes complete sense to me.  Creating a new character who’s only attribute is the fact that it’s a black woman to take over for Iron Man does not.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
It's a bit heavy handed I'll grant you, and I knew it would ignite the fires so to speak, but it doesn't really bother me. It's just her point of view.

It's not something on the level of say Titania allowing Jane Foster to take she and the Absorbing Man in because Thor's suddenly a woman and that supersedes her loyalties and self-preservation. Now that I can see rolling one's eyes at because it, like Galactus puking, is just bad writing.

I recall an article on a website that talked about how inconsistent the Absorbing Man is in how he views/treats women. On the one hand, you get the chauvenist, where he remarks about how weak they are (I should note these portrayals never have Titania around), and yet in that instance with Titania and Spider-Man, he not only shows he loves her, but willingly acted weak so that she could get over her fear of him and regain her self confidence by "saving" him. Which a true mysoginist would never do.

And then there's the example you bring up, which fuck Aaron and the whole Jane Foster/Thor bullshit to begin with.

I've always been fine with Marvel trying to create and bring in new races and genders into their comics (provided its done well and tastefully).

I think the issue a lot of people are realizing in the most recent decade of entertainment media (although let me condense this area to just comics for now) is that for a lot of people, they have started to realize :

"Hey now that I think about it, there actually ARE A LOT of white/white male super heroes."

Obviously there's a reason why. Most creators and writers were/are white males.

And while many of them write with the progressive enough ideals to try and make more heroes for other races (Like how Jack and Stan made Black Panther specifically so young black kids could have a super hero),
there's only so much "experience" a white person has in portraying genders and races.

Either they come off as too pro-feminism (Like Claremont), or way too obviously try-hard *insert "new" race/gender hero to replace previous white male hero*, which no one wants. And then the problem begets that they get writers who only know how to very unsubtlely force a character's race, status, etc. (Miss America & Ice Man say hi).

The early Ms. Marvel with Khamala Kahn to me, was the best way to introduce a new character (or in this case, "replace" a previous one) but without forcing a race/gender/etc. agenda and actually making the CHARACTER be the focal point, with said gender and race being secondary.

therock

• +56/-65
    • View Profile
well can see why the other way is done

any new character no matter the race hard to get off the ground without some sort of connection

that why dc doesnt get as much shit for this because the idea of legacy character and different character taking the mantle is kind of a thing

it harder to bitch about a black Robin or Muslim lantern when you already had a bunch of Robin's and earh green lanterns

fuck grew up during milestone.  so this shit seem low key in comparrison. and most of that failed like most new things but you had a few characters that made it out

Panthergod

• +49/-85
    • View Profile
  Carol Danvers has been Ms. Marvel/Capt. Marvel for decades (along with many other hero id’s) and was a supporting character long before that so using her for the movies makes complete sense to me.  Creating a new character who’s only attribute is the fact that it’s a black woman to take over for Iron Man does not.

Laughable nonsense.

Ever heard of Jim Rhodes?

known legacy characters including demographics the vast majority of white fandom are self evidently uncomfortable with-- like Black women-- is just too much for some effeminate beta male cucks.

That being said, the climate of ANAD MArvel was obviously very forced, spearheaded by people who don't care about comics.