Herochat

Is anybody else sick of the whole "We need Diversity/Boo Diveristy!" thing yet?

Panthergod

• +49/-85
    • View Profile
The character doesn't know or care about the circumstances.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile
The notion that Banner has been given a pass for ANY reason - let alone because he’s a white male - seems pretty ridiculous to me. If the US government could have killed him they would have gladly done so. They’ve certainly tried to. At best, they’ve tried to use him/given him a wide berth at times because they can’t kill him. It’s the kind of statement a writer should be giving a character to make them look foolish or uninformed, but from what I understand it’s presented as something the writer believes, which makes the writer seem like the uninformed one.

Actually from an in universe perspective of someone who did not pay close attention and only followed the general headlines I can see the Hulk being seen as being given a huge amount of leeway.

First off he is seen as being a dangerous threat with multiple violent rampages and he is given the chance to join the Earths Greatest Heroes as a founding member of the Avengers. He leaves right away and goes back to being seen by the public as a violent menace.

He gets a full pardon during the Peter David era and then does a bunch of illegal stuff working with an Authority style group before seeming to fully lose it again and going back to being seen as a dangerous menace. During this period he also committed public crimes while smart like taking over an entire town and declaring it his.

During Hickmans run he is again an Avenger in good standing. From the public perspective he was let onto the team and forgiven again and in Immortal Hulk is now once again a violent monster.

That is just off the top of my head and it leaves aside the numerous times heroes worked with Hulk in public and engaged with him on good terms, letting him go him way with no issues only for the public to get reports of the hulk acting like a violent menace a few weeks later.

Also I imagine a lot of people would blame Banner for turning himself into the Hulk.

I would honestly be very surprised if ,given the information the average comics citizen has, a large portion of the general population did not feel Banner had been treated with excessive leeway. Especially if they only followed the major new stories casually.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
^^^ The Hulk’s whole schtick is that he’s unstoppable and unkillable. What, exactly, is the US government supposed to do with him? If they could have killed him, they would have by now. They’ve certainly tried. He isn’t given leeway, he’s managed, in the same way people manage hurricanes in the Caribbean. You know one is coming every year, you know you can’t stop it, so you make the best of it. The authorities do that by finding use for the Hulk since they’re essentially stuck with him.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile
There have been many times in the past that the Hulk could have been imprisoned.

Narratively of course the Hulk would come back even angrier but looking at it from an in universe perspective the heroes of earth have defeated beings much more powerful then the Hulk so the argument the Hulk is unstoppable would not carry much weight.

BTW totally willing to continue the discussion of public opinions on the Hulk in a new thread or via PM if you want but I do not want to derail the discussions on this one so I will cut off here.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
BTW totally willing to continue the discussion of public opinions on the Hulk in a new thread or via PM if you want but I do not want to derail the discussions on this one so I will cut off here.

Agreed, good talk though.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium