Herochat

Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 04:10:37 AM »
Dull? I thought Transmetro was a riot! That and Planetary definitely represent Ellis' pinnacle period for me.
It's been a while, but I just remember treading through the first dozen issues of Transmetro and thinking, "Okay, the future's weird.  This city's weird. I get it already. Can something actually happen now?"  I liked the issue with the photographer waking up after being frozen for years, but that was about it.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »
Another one for me. Kraven's Last Hunt.

To me a good Spider-Man story has humor, this...I just think J.M. DeMatteis gets Spider-Man and Batman confused. That's the only way I can explain the way he wrote Spider-Man.

^^^I liked that one.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:59:08 AM by Riv1 »

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:08 AM »
Double post

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 01:35:41 AM »
I was never fond of The Long Halloween.

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
Dull? I thought Transmetro was a riot! That and Planetary definitely represent Ellis' pinnacle period for me.
It's been a while, but I just remember treading through the first dozen issues of Transmetro and thinking, "Okay, the future's weird.  This city's weird. I get it already. Can something actually happen now?"  I liked the issue with the photographer waking up after being frozen for years, but that was about it.

That's my favorite stand-alone issue for sure. But I felt like the ideas were usually fun and interesting, and it picked up urgency and narrative unity more as it went, with the world & players already kind of established. I also am a big Hunter S Thompson fan, which helps no small amount. Wouldn't mind doing a reread now that we're talking about it....

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »
Ah, another one that just occurred to me: not really a fan of most of Peter David's Hulk.
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
Ah, another one that just occurred to me: not really a fan of most of Peter David's Hulk.

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
The Dark Knight Returns. I just hate the art. It's just ugly.

The Laughing Joke. I hate the ending. Batman should not have laughed. Simple as that.

The ending works when it wasn't supposed to be in continuity and was suppose to be ambiguous if Batman snapped and finally killed The Joker.
The only "ambiguity" of "if Batman snapped and finally killed the Joker" was in people putting something there that isn't there.

The story itself is unambiguous. He didn't. But people read into it in a weird way and now it's a pet theory.

Some fucking Game Theory level shit, but hey people invent subtext when there isn't any all the time so this isn't new.

Mightily Oats

• +80/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
Also:

Most of them

I'm wondering how now 30 year old me would take Sandman, which was previously my favourite.
But I read it once when I was 19, so that could very easily change.
In retrospect, while I greatly enjoyed the character of Lucifer Morningstar, I didn't actually like Carey's work all that much.

Got to read Miracleman/Marvelman finally, a few years ago. Like 5?
It was decent, but Alan Moore can't write a fucking comic book fight to save his life, and he has zero sense of power scaling. I can't say that such a thing really undermines the power of his narrative, or the intent of his writing, but for me it does create a huge, momentary disconnect that hampers the overall enjoyment of the story.

Everything is chugging along nicely and then it's like, Miracleman is either too powerful for everything, ever, or he's weaker than, and there's zero in between. Things are monstrously easy, or monstrously hard.

Based on what I've heard of his Swamp Thing, that's pretty well how that goes, too.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
I read Sandman for the first time in my early 20's and loved it. Re read just a few months ago, and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I read Lucifer when it came out and loved it just as much, but I haven't gone back and re read it, though I'm sure I would still like it.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »
Recently read Omega Men after a LONG time of really wanting to, and it turns out I hated it. Just didn't care about anything that was going on, and I felt like the main character was "Kyle Rayner" in name only.

Easily the worst Tom King I have personally ever read.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:51:14 AM by Not BAMF »
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 03:42:54 AM »
Yeah, he can be nine panel Bendis when he doesn't know a character or just decides to just to just go with whatever.

And speaking of, I know it's not finished, but I'm not liking Heroes in Crisis at all. It's just boring to me.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »
I read Sandman for the first time in my early 20's and loved it. Re read just a few months ago, and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm the opposite.

I read & loved Sandman in my early 20's but now I'm in my late 40's it just cringe worthy teenage angst to me.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »

I'm the opposite.

I read & loved Sandman in my early 20's but now I'm in my late 40's it just cringe worthy teenage angst to me.

I do not mind that too much because the main characters immaturity was the driving force of the series.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »

And speaking of, I know it's not finished, but I'm not liking Heroes in Crisis at all. It's just boring to me.

Yes, I agree with Heroes in Crisis. It's so boring, and nothing happens at all. The majority of the pages are just talking heads doing their therapy sessions.