Herochat

Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 03:30:50 AM »
The Dark Knight Returns. I just hate the art. It's just ugly.

The Laughing Joke. I hate the ending. Batman should not have laughed. Simple as that.

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 03:34:59 AM »
Oh. And Bendis' Avengers run. It's the Transformer movies of comics. You had the usual Bendis speak, him not knowiing what to do with characters...but my favorite worse moment had to be his Mighty Avengers where he used word balloons to help the reader understand one important factor of the team--they all hated each other.

Ms. Marvel: Gee, Tony that's a great idea.

Ms. Marvel thinking: Stupid manwhore and his idiot plan."

Stuff like that. Just a very special of stupid that stuck with me all these years.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
SCALPED.
Always heard good things, and saw rave reviews, but, upon checking it out? Did not like.

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 05:44:03 AM »
Oh. And Bendis' Avengers run. It's the Transformer movies of comics. You had the usual Bendis speak, him not knowiing what to do with characters...but my favorite worse moment had to be his Mighty Avengers where he used word balloons to help the reader understand one important factor of the team--they all hated each other.

Stuff like that. Just a very special of stupid that stuck with me all these years.
The word bubbles were also weirdly overused and random, like Bendis thought that we needed to know what the characters were thinking at all times without taking the time to see if it actually fit. 
I remember one panel of Ms. Marvel giving a formal report to Tony following a battle with a villain and she has a thought bubble saying, "Don't screw up! Don't screw up!" or something like that.

NeoGreenLantern

• +101/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »

The Laughing Joke. I hate the ending. Batman should not have laughed. Simple as that.

The ending works when it wasn't supposed to be in continuity and was suppose to be ambiguous if Batman snapped and finally killed The Joker.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
I’m w. Prop on this one. It was an ok story, but even w. what you just said, the ending doesnt work fir me.

Thanos6

• +22/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »
Preacher, Watchmen, Sandman, pretty much anything by Bendis.
Truten forever!

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
^^^Watchmen was ok, i just think it could have been shorter and wasnt the end all-be all of comics greatness, which marks me as a heathen to many fellow nerds.

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »

The ending works when it wasn't supposed to be in continuity and was suppose to be ambiguous if Batman snapped and finally killed The Joker.

That ending sucked if it was in continuity or not. Just check out the context of the story: You have Batman who wants to end this rivalry with the Joker because  him, the Joker, and countless others will pay. You have the Joker who is of weaker character who just admits he can't do that and gives in to the insanity. James Gordon had his bad day and didn't break, the Joker did. Batman should not have broke, Batman should not have laughed.

It should have been Joker laughing like a lunatic at his own joke and Batman standing over him; the two never being able to meet because the inner strength difference between the two being world's apart.

Also, this story gave us one of the worst DC animated movies ever. :)

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »

The word bubbles were also weirdly overused and random, like Bendis thought that we needed to know what the characters were thinking at all times without taking the time to see if it actually fit. 
I remember one panel of Ms. Marvel giving a formal report to Tony following a battle with a villain and she has a thought bubble saying, "Don't screw up! Don't screw up!" or something like that.

Yeah, that's confusing.

And let's not forget Avengers Dissembled--dear lord was that a mess. And feel sorry for Kurt Busiek. He does everything in his power to make the Scarlet Witch an awesome character--and Bendis just took a dump on all his years of hard work.

Oh, and another one--I remember an annual where Wonder Man and a bunch of heroes wanted to get rid of the Avengers because of--reasons.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »

That ending sucked if it was in continuity or not. Just check out the context of the story: You have Batman who wants to end this rivalry with the Joker because  him, the Joker, and countless others will pay. You have the Joker who is of weaker character who just admits he can't do that and gives in to the insanity. James Gordon had his bad day and didn't break, the Joker did. Batman should not have broke, Batman should not have laughed.

It should have been Joker laughing like a lunatic at his own joke and Batman standing over him; the two never being able to meet because the inner strength difference between the two being world's apart.

Also, this story gave us one of the worst DC animated movies ever. :)
Whenever i bring up that ending everyone says its great/perfect. Nice to see i’m not alone.

Jabroniville

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Legion of Super-Heroes: 5 Years Later can suck my ass for all time. HIDEOUS rubber-faced art, stupid-looking characters, everyone's dressed in garbage-bags, and it's endlessly bleak stupidity. Giffen was just fucking around, and it destroyed the LOSH for years- they had to reboot continuity to fix what he'd fucked up, and that left the Legion constantly struggling under "this isn't the REAL Legion" for the rest of their history.

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Dull? I thought Transmetro was a riot! That and Planetary definitely represent Ellis' pinnacle period for me.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
Dull? I thought Transmetro was a riot! That and Planetary definitely represent Ellis' pinnacle period for me.

I liked it all the way through but the first issues definitely feel different then the rest of the series. The issue that had Spider chatting with the drunken beast was the start of a pretty major change in the tone of the book. I can see the issues before that being a lot more hit and miss for people.

Propeus The Fallen

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 04:06:29 AM »
Another one for me. Kraven's Last Hunt.

To me a good Spider-Man story has humor, this...I just think J.M. DeMatteis gets Spider-Man and Batman confused. That's the only way I can explain the way he wrote Spider-Man.