Herochat

Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
Curious about this topic because for this upcoming week's episode of my podcast, we read and review DC's New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke. And I REALLY didn't think it was a particularly good book. My buddy started shooting back a list of awards it has won in rebuttal, but I don't know... I thought it was shit.

Any celebrated works that you thought were not as good as their praise?
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
Re: Popular/Critically Acclaimed Comics That You Don't Care For?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:39:50 PM »
Is ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN  critically acclaimed? It wasnt my cuppa.

Are all the INFINITY books critically acclaimed? After the first one, and all the wat into the ANNIHILATION ones i’ve found them meh.

therock

• +65/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
all stat batman is deffintly not critically acclaimed people think he lost his mind

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »
Yeah, I was going to say, I thought ASB&R was widely considered a joke.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/04/23/show-4-23-19-the-avengers-quiz-show/ (A review of NextWave, and our MCU quiz challenge!)

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
Thank GOD.

Bran Mak Morn

• +18/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:52:53 PM »
Moore's Watchmen.

I've probably read it 4 times thru various stages of my life just to see if my attitude's changed.

Fun in parts, tedious in most...overall juz a bit too convoluted & self indulging on Moore's part.
"It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.
It won't work & you just end up annoying the pig."
-Judge Judy.

Dalek

• +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:52:41 AM »
Preacher was super uneven. Some parts were absolutely amazing but it was dragged down by a lot of the other content. It did not match the hype it was getting at the time.

Superman 775 got a lot of praise when it first came out. It failed to live up to the inherent potential of a Superman vs The Authority comic by making The Elite into monsters who enslaved a sentient being and did not care about the citizens they were supposedly protecting. Superman then proved his moral superiority by beating them up.

Planet Hulk was a letdown for me. The whole exile of Hulk was explicitly based on the fact that innocents were dying in his rampages. It was fine to introduce the idea the Hulk had not killed people but doing so mid story was very jarring. The idea of heroes like Hercules supporting him did not fit at all for me and the final fight with Sentry was weird. Still fun but a big step down from planet Hulk.

The Cosmic Cube sage was disappointing to me. Thanos had not really developed his voice yet and while there were a few cool moments it just did not do much for me.

Civil War was popular but I think most people on this board share my low opinion of it.

The Death of Superman was a huge letdown. I remember collecting all the issues of Reign as a kid from secondhand stores and loving it and finially tracking down his battle with doomsday and being insanely disappointed that Superman died fighting like a total idiot.

Final Crisis never did much for me. It was full of fun ideas but a lot of them had already been introduced in Rock of Ages which was a stronger story and the new ones were just thrown out there without really doing much with them.

Wonder Woman League of One was a fun comic but the fact it totally ignored the civilians dying during the events of the story and WW letting that happen took me too out of the book to Really be able to enjoy it.

AP

• +135/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 05:25:38 AM »
I've never been much of a Garth Ennis fan.  He seems to be dark and shocking for the sake of being dark and shocking.  It never really appealed to me.

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
I'll agree on Action 775

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
also Planetary.

You'd think that would be right up my alley, but I just didn't care for it as a whole. There were some good issues and I love their 'crossovers' but as a whole, not my thing.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
I found PLANETARY great, but the crossovers were meh. 

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Any well-regarded main event book. Outside of our board, that would be at very least Civil War and fucking Secret Invasion. Oh and Planet Hulk. If 52 falls into this category (I don't really think it should) I make an exception there.

I never really liked Walking Dead too much despite being a lifelong zombie fan.

I admittedly didn't go more than a few trades in, but Fables always left me a bit disappointed.

also Planetary.

You'd think that would be right up my alley, but I just didn't care for it as a whole. There were some good issues and I love their 'crossovers' but as a whole, not my thing.

I love it....except how rushed/forced the ending felt. I know that's not a novel criticism, but it is a warranted one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:56:35 AM by Whiskeyclone »

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
Civil War is iffy, but was popular and influential, so yeah; in no reality is Secret Invasion an acclaimed book.

I agree with the mentioning of Preacher and Ennis. Such nonsense extreme-for-extreme’s-sake crap.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:59:57 PM by Not BAMF »

Accel

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
Preacher is great for the first couple of story arcs, but after Jesse gets separated by Tulip and Cassidy, it just kind of meanders for me.  Seeing more of Ennis's other works might have soured how I look back on it too.

I had trouble getting into Transmetropilitan.  I checked out the first 12 (I think) issues and I just found it kind of dull.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
I had trouble getting into Transmetropilitan.  I checked out the first 12 (I think) issues and I just found it kind of dull.
I’d firgotten about this one, for just the reason you pointed out. It was Dull.

Not a fan of Secret Invasion, Infinite Crisis, Death of the Family, Knightfall, Battle for The Cowl....SO many Bat Family events really.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:39:33 PM by Riv1 »