Herochat

withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and Syria

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and Syria
« on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
I think most of you know me well enough that I am staunchly opposed to war, so getting out of that region in any capacity is a good thing to me but I am curious about a few things so I thought we could discuss it:

1) We've withdrawn troops before, only to send a lot more back in some time later.  Is this the same sort of yo-yo effect?

2) Trump is ding the withdrawing so I can't help but think he's doing this for some nefarious purpose.  It's like when Dr Doom or someone helps the heroes beat a villain... you know there's a reason why he's doing it.

So what will come of this?  Is it ultimately a good thing?

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
Re: withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and Syria
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
I'd love for us to completely withdraw from the middle East but we always do at the wrong point causing volatile power vacuums and I don't think this is any different. I have military friends who are worried about this because they are currently home and think it's only going to lead them going back.

And Trump's trumpyness only makes things worse when he's tweeting about defeating ISIS one day and how ISIS still a threat the next. That kind of mixed message from our leaders doesn't give out a sense of certainty shit won't get worse

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +13/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »
Trump probably is doing it for nefarious reasons. Perhaps mixed with bolstering his reelection in 2020. The reasons the U.S. has been so involved in the middle east to begin are largely because of nefarious reasons though. It's largely about continuing a never ending money and exploitation pattern that benefits the super elites and military industrial complex executives.

America has spent the first two decades of the century throwing away trillions of dollars and likely millions of mostly innocent lives on all sides just to further feed the rich. It's past time it stops. America's never ending need to exploit and control resources is a primary reason the nation is disliked, mistrusted, and a target of radicals.

Granted, this probably sucks for the Kurds. Who by and large are more favorable than many in the general region. But lets face it, the American media and elites don't give a crap about the Kurds. Just like they don't care about civilians in Yemen being killed by American weapons and intelligence. They just use whatever angles and bywords they need to continue propping up hoped for endless military engagement.

That is what CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, The WSJ, WaPo, the Times, etc. etc. really care about. Ad money. They get it from defense contractors, weapons manufactures, aerospace, big pharma, big insurance, big energy, etc. etc. And they spout those povs. The few who don't play ball tend to be marginalized.

Neocon politicians and neolib media have simply cried wolf too often. To the point where even if they have an arguable pov, people turn away because they are just not credible at all anymore.
Sig : Anna Nystrom

ProjectCornDog

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »
I support withdrawing from essentially all of our interventions currently.

Dlbiininja

• +118/-13216
  • Destroyer of father of socks self-esteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
Our going into the middle east has fucked up a lot of shit & wasted lives & money.   Our past actions have been a cumulative problem that's helped us garner enemies.  And despite Saddam's death.  He played a part to stabilize that region.   Trump announced the withdrawal without thinking of long term affects in the region.  And he hasn't been a strong voice against Russia.  Putin is fucking happy at this decision.   China has been making moves into Africa.   And Nk hasn't stopped with their nukes.  I'm not liking the potential long term here. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
We've been basically throwing ragers in the middle East and leaving before the cops show up for decades now. We either need to stop the party or stay long enough to deal with the aftermath.

therock

• +53/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
I a mixed. I am leaning to leaving...but lets not pretend things about to get fucked up if we do

And we letting an ally that we kind of promise to protect get fucked up. Which will make people less likely to make deals with us

But not saying dont leave. Because what the alternative we stay there forever? So the smart move is used this as a lesson to not get involve in situtions where our two choices going to be

1) Stay forever

or

2) Well Looks like we fucked this place up...Welp(looks at watch) we best be going. Good luck with all that

Propeus The Fallen

• +35/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »
I would love to say I like leaving...but they way Trump is doing it is just going to make things worse.