Herochat

Aquaman (spoilers)

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Aquaman (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 02:50:03 AM »
Personally I thought the movies was decent with Jason's Aquabro and the visuals really keeping the movie interesting.

It still feels like DC is playing catch-up with Marvel though there is a lot of parallel elements between the two. Some superficial and not that big of a deal but you got things like Queen Atlanna and Janet van Dyne almost having the exact same story with the exception of the setup.

Also Black Manta was basically a stripped down poor copy of Killmonger.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
Aquaman was more of a killmonger than Black Manta.

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 12:11:11 PM »
I really think they should’ve had Vinny Chase as Aquaman

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
Movie was like equal parts Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, Fast and Furious and Thor Ragnarok. It had moments where there was this beautiful-aloof connection between the two leads ala Disney. And then moments were there were two traveling across exotic Vistas and locales to rap music like Fast and Furious. Then it had this oversaturated color pallate - Jack Kirby feel, with synth music like Thor Ragnarok. And then there's a whole lot of mystery finding cave-searching Indiana Jones puzzles and detective work. Swashbuckling laugh and clap moments galore.

That being said, as cool as the action sequences were and for all the moments they nailed character eise. The film felt disjointed and unauthentic at points.

6-7/10

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »

Same can be said about Orm

But I mostly mean they are both mercenary types who hate the main hero because of daddy issues except KM was much more fleshed out and his motives were well developed.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 05:22:55 PM »

Same can be said about Orm

But I mostly mean they are both mercenary types who hate the main hero because of daddy issues except KM was much more fleshed out and his motives were well developed.

Aquaman's story is pretty much identical to Killmonger's story except he's a good guy.  And he lost the king-duel thing.

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:48 PM »
Hmm good point

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »
Yeah but Orm wanted to kill all the oppressive people, and Aquaman wanted to live together in peace.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/01/08/show-1-8-19-a-semi-serious-discussion/ (A discussion on diversity and legacy characters, uh-oh! And we review Black Beetle)

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 09:32:25 PM »
Yeah but Orm wanted to kill all the oppressive people, and Aquaman wanted to live together in peace.
That’s the “except he’s a good guy” part.

therock

• +53/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
Personally I thought the movies was decent with Jason's Aquabro and the visuals really keeping the movie interesting.

It still feels like DC is playing catch-up with Marvel though there is a lot of parallel elements between the two. Some superficial and not that big of a deal but you got things like Queen Atlanna and Janet van Dyne almost having the exact same story with the exception of the setup.

think ocean master had more I'm common  with killmonger

namely with the motivation

Panthergod

• +47/-85
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
You're all rights in that their were similarities. And may of them were comic accurate going back 50 years if you know the Canon.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »

The motivation is all they had in common.  Aquaman's story is pretty much beat-for-beat Killmonger's story aside from trying to take over the world.

1) Aquaman/Kilmonger was born from a normal person and a member of a royal family from an advanced race.

2) When Aquaman/Killmonger was young, his royal parent was accused of treason and seemingly executed.

3) Aquaman/Killmonger grew up resenting the advanced race.

4) One of the only people from the advanced race who were aware of Aquaman/Killmonger's existence was an adviser to the king.  Said adviser seriously pisses off the king when he realizes he had been lied to decades later.

5) Despite his anger toward the advanced race, Aquaman/Killmonger was groomed to learn their ways and eventually dethrone the king who is related to him (granted, Aquaman's grooming was more subversive while Killmonger chose to go his path).

6) Aquaman/Killmonger comes to the conclusion that the advanced race are not only assholes but a threat to his adoptive people so he heads to their country to fight.

7) Aquaman/Killmonger confront the king for his throne in an ancient fighting ritual where they attack each other on a cliff with pointy weapons.

8 ) Aquaman/Killmonger succeed at one point or another and becomes king.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:59:12 PM by AP »

therock

• +53/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

The motivation is all they had in common.  Aquaman's story is pretty much beat-for-beat Killmonger's story aside from trying to take over the world.

1) Aquaman/Kilmonger was born from a normal person and a member of a royal family from an advanced race.

2) When Aquaman/Killmonger was young, his royal parent was accused of treason and seemingly executed.

3) Aquaman/Killmonger grew up resenting the advanced race.

4) One of the only people from the advanced race who were aware of Aquaman/Killmonger's existence was an adviser to the king.  Said adviser seriously pisses off the king when he realizes he had been lied to decades later.

5) Despite his anger toward the advanced race, Aquaman/Killmonger was groomed to learn their ways and eventually dethrone the king who is related to him (granted, Aquaman's grooming was more subversive while Killmonger chose to go his path).

6) Aquaman/Killmonger comes to the conclusion that the advanced race are not only assholes but a threat to his adoptive people so he heads to their country to fight.

7) Aquaman/Killmonger confront the king for his throne in an ancient fighting ritual where they attack each other on a cliff with pointy weapons.

8 ) Aquaman/Killmonger succeed at one point or another and becomes king.

but you were referi g to black manta in the post I responded to

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2018, 05:16:55 AM »
Neo said Black Manta was Killmonger.

HalloweenJack

• +40/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Watched it tonight. Was sort of a mixed bag. There were legitimately good moments and then there was alot that was pretty 'meh'. I'll give it two and half out of five, putting it on par with Wonder Woman for me. Maybe MOS can sit at their table.