Herochat

Wolverine and Sabretooth question

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine and Sabretooth question
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »
I should have guessed that Pak and Van Lente would remember. They're really good at remembering and bringing back plot points from years ago.
Truten forever!

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
If not wrong I remember i read Claremont saying how in his mind Wolvie was supposed to be the underdog in this foght.

Of course he should be! Wolverine being able to expect wins against Sabertooth is just lazy writing.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »
Um, this actually happened a few months ago in Weapon X I think.   I'll see if I can pull up the issue.   But yea!  This was an attack on old man Logan vs the current Logan.   And Old Man Logan's Hf has been on the decline as ewell as other aspects.

It was March actually:

Haha DAMN who won?

I actually didn't know Sabretooth did that. That's fucking metal ahahaha.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
If not wrong I remember i read Claremont saying how in his mind Wolvie was supposed to be the underdog in this foght.

Of course he should be! Wolverine being able to expect wins against Sabertooth is just lazy writing.

It's called character progression.

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Character progression = whose ass you can beat?

I guess that is the Superman model.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Character progression = whose ass you can beat?

I guess that is the Superman model.

A main character learning to overcome one of his oldest most personal foes after years of a rivalry is  one way character progression is expressed in superhero action comics, yes. Fights are often used to illustrate challenges to certain characters as well as emotional, moral or philosophical challenges, often at the same time. This goes for villains as well, since you're too dense to comprehend this idea.

not as much for Superman, who is about being challenged by the attempt to manifest altruism in himself and society, not uncontrolled aggression typically.

But nice attempt with the projection of your idiot logic, where a main character never being confident in his ability to overcome physical threats is the definition of good writing(pssst-- overcoming hubris is also a part of character progression). Typical adolescent plebe reasoning.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:55:03 PM by Panthergod »

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
So villains don't get to progress as well? Recurring villains are a pretty huge part of ongoing superhero comics, and ones that strike a chord with fans all the more so. Sabertooth is clearly one of them given he's had multiple anti-hero turns, received power-ups of his own, been brought back promptly from ill-wrought deaths, etc. He & Wolverine as rough equals? Sure. But when stories have been written to actually give reason why Sabertooth should be at least keeping pace with Wolverine and the former has developed as well, it's just back to lazy writing when he gets brushed aside so the hero can show off how tough he is. And then Sabertooth is so tied to Wolverine in most people's minds that he's going to be put in Wolverine stories again and again, and his defeat will just bring increasingly diminished returns. You waste a character for nothing, essentially.

Not BAMF

• +23/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
Um, this actually happened a few months ago in Weapon X I think.   I'll see if I can pull up the issue.   But yea!  This was an attack on old man Logan vs the current Logan.   And Old Man Logan's Hf has been on the decline as ewell as other aspects.

It was March actually:

I don't know why, but I love that Wolverine has Sabretooth saved in his cell phone.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2019/03/26/show-3-26-18-hulks-planet/ (Review of Planet Hulk! And a discussion on who would be the DC Illuminati?)