Herochat

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse review thread (spoilers)

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse review thread (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
I loved this movie. I'll probably see it again.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »
I wonder who will be the first person here not to enjoy it?

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
Gaara's due for a comeback.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »
Quick pop in to say this is the best Spider-Man movie to date. Period. One of the most visually compelling animated movies of all time with an adventure story that is spot on.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
Only debate here is which song on the soundtrack is best? Mine is “What’s up Danger?”
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 12:10:21 AM »
Only debate here is which song on the soundtrack is best? Mine is “What’s up Danger?”
WTF? Who in here tryna start a riot?!

TURBODERP

• +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 11:01:04 PM »

Agreed, that song is amazing.

Spidey-Bells is hilarious and great too.

The movie is fantastic, and it's really that simple. Pretty much every aspect of it-characters (development and interaction, which can be hard with that many Spider-people), art style, plot-was on point.

I was really surprised by Kingpin flattening Peter Parker in the opening, it really sold how intimidating the guy was. The Doc Ock reveal was really great too, I didn't see it coming at all.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 12:57:35 AM »

The movie is fantastic, and it's really that simple. Pretty much every aspect of it-characters (development and interaction, which can be hard with that many Spider-people), art style, plot-was on point.

I was really surprised by Kingpin flattening Peter Parker in the opening, it really sold how intimidating the guy was. The Doc Ock reveal was really great too, I didn't see it coming at all.
It was because Peter was already wrecked and in a prone position. It seemed like maybe his back was broken. This Kingpin was able to throw vehicles, so he was pretty strong.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 01:48:30 AM »
Another thing I really liked about the movie was that, even though it's never actually stated, it seems like the reason Peter was so successful in Miles universe was due to him not hiding who he was and letting MJ and May support him fully. I am pretty done with the whole "most keep my secret and push everyone away to protect them" trope.

TURBODERP

• +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »

It was because Peter was already wrecked and in a prone position. It seemed like maybe his back was broken. This Kingpin was able to throw vehicles, so he was pretty strong.

Oh yea, Peter was definitely really badly hurt before that. I was talking in a...more cinematic sense? I figured Kingpin would kidnap Parker and they'd have to rescue him or something, or even if it was a death, it'd be via gun not just being flattened.

It really sold Kingpin as a threat, the way it was in frame though. I think that was really well done.

I did like how it came back to Kingpin now having the multiverse of his wife and kid watching him almost kill yet another Spiderman, and him losing all of them once again (or a bunch). 100% deserved and it tied up everything really nicely.

Bran Mak Morn

• +17/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 07:08:29 AM »
My all time fav comic book artist is Bill Sienkiewicz.

I've always loved his abstract portrayals & his use of pastels & watercolours (pre- Dave McKean). A refreshing change from the clean cut inked outlines & colour-by-numbers style that's dominated comic books.

When Kingpin 1st appeared on screen, his sheer bulk ( head lost in bulk muscle & fat ) reminded me of Sienkiewicz/Miller's Elektra.

Then Kingpin has a brief flashback of Vanessa & child & the entire short sequence are painted panels reminiscent of Sienkiewicz...though there is no mention of him in the credits.

Later I find out that Bill loved/enjoyed the movie, he did a limited edition movie lithograph poster.

Best line in the movie, "THWIP & RELEASE!"

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »
Another thing I really liked about the movie was that, even though it's never actually stated, it seems like the reason Peter was so successful in Miles universe was due to him not hiding who he was and letting MJ and May support him fully. I am pretty done with the whole "most keep my secret and push everyone away to protect them" trope.

As a teen hero (or even an adult, really) it makes sense to let your closest people on on the secret. They can help with alibis and it's one less thing to worry about. Secret ID's make sense when it comes to the geberal public. But your parents? GF/Wife or best friends? No.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
^^^i guess it comes down to, do you trust those ppl.
I mean, i loved my mom as a kid, but, trust her with the fact that i had super powers? Nooo.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 03:49:28 PM »
Yeah it makes sense to not tell people you don't trust even if they are friends or family.

But the idea that someone who is close to you that you trust is better protected if they don't know is some faulty logic.

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »

As a teen hero (or even an adult, really) it makes sense to let your closest people on on the secret. They can help with alibis and it's one less thing to worry about. Secret ID's make sense when it comes to the geberal public. But your parents? GF/Wife or best friends? No.
Telling some petty high school boyfriend or girlfriend is risky.