Herochat

No Marvel/DC crossovers?

ultrabender

• +2/-2
    • View Profile
No Marvel/DC crossovers?
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
The last crossover between Marvel and DC comics was the 2003 comic JLA/Avengers, they have not made any crossovers for a very long time. What is stopping them from making new team up stories?.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:38:40 PM by ultrabender »

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
Re: No Marvel/DC crossovers?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
Crossovers aren't as exiting as they once were.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
I remember reading that DC and Marvel tensions heightened since their last crossover. I personally would love to see another one.

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
   In times like this I always look to the Robert Heinlein quote.  "Whenever you ask, why do "they" do something the answer is always money."
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:54:45 PM »
Also Disney owns Marvel now so it would be more difficult and there competitive on so many more lvls now because of it.

Uhtceare

• +20/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
Yeah, it's no longer a few poorly paid comicbook creators competing with some other poorly paid comicbook creators and occasionally getting together to make a few crossover bucks. Now it's Disney vs Warner Brothers. These huge corporations have zero interest in making one penny for their enemies.

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:06 AM »
Now it's Disney vs Warner Brothers. These huge corporations have zero interest in making one penny for their enemies.

In times like this I always look to the Robert Heinlein quote.  "Whenever you ask, why do "they" do something the answer is always money."

I miss my innocent youth, when i thought comics were made using magic. :(

Knock knock. Who’s there? I broke scourge. HAHAHAHA!

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:26:46 AM »
Fuck, you were a dumb youth
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:50:48 AM »
Yeah.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
Good point about Warner Bros and DC. That's pretty sad though. I have no problem with corporations going at it but sometimes art should supersede everything.

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
^^^You sound like a filthy bohemian!

But you’re right, of course.

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
Good point about Warner Bros and DC. That's pretty sad though. I have no problem with corporations going at it but sometimes art should supersede everything.

I love comic books, and have loved them since the days when they cost a quarter and were rolled up in your back pocket after reading them.  Comic books are not art. They are and have always been a business. They are produced to make a company money. This is not a bad thing. It is why they make cars, and TV shows and toilet paper. All these things make all our lives better.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »

I love comic books, and have loved them since the days when they cost a quarter and were rolled up in your back pocket after reading them.  Comic books are not art. They are and have always been a business. They are produced to make a company money. This is not a bad thing. It is why they make cars, and TV shows and toilet paper. All these things make all our lives better.

It has always been a business but you can't ignore the art aspect of it. From the beautiful innovative designs, to attempts to make it more realistic in today's society, to predicting futures, to making statements about life in an almost Seinfeld type way, to political stances. Of course there are top figures in the industry only looking at the return in investment but there are plenty, plenty of writers, illustrators, inkers, etc who value the art.

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
...but there are plenty, plenty of writers, illustrators, inkers, etc who value the art.
And fans.
Try telling some of us all the financial and business related reasons we cant have a crossover, and while we can understand them, we dont really care, we just want fun cross continuity clashes we can drool over for years to come.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
Probably because the crossovers were poorly written trash and "victories" were only based on fan votes?

They were fun to read when you were younger, but they were always shit.