therock

• +53/-65
    • View Profile
Democratic investigations
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/11/democrats-trump-investigations/

What you think of these

That link has a sample list but a longer list is here

https://democrats-oversight.house.gov/news/press-releases/oversight-republicans-block-11-more-subpoenas-for-a-total-of-64-motions-denied

But here the shorter list the site gave as examples

White House security clearances (involving Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, national security adviser John Bolton, and others)
The controversial addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census
The Trump administration’s Muslim travel ban
The State Department’s decision to close its cyber office
The Environmental Protection Agency’s use of a political loyalty list
The possible participation of Cambridge Analytica’s foreign employees in US elections
The deadly ambush in Niger that left four American soldiers dead
The use of private email by White House officials
Trump’s response to the hurricane that devastated Puerto Rico
The dealings of the Trump Foundation
Potential conflicts of interest between Kushner’s business actions and his policy advice
Payments the Trump Organization received from foreign sources
Russian intervention with state voting systems
Former national security adviser Michael Flynn’s contacts with foreign officials

mixed on some of these. Since some of them dont need an investigation..it just shows Trump being a dick but nothing illegal. Like how he handle the puetro rico thing...yea thats fucked up but not sure its illegal or something they can really get him on

The emulement clause and Trump companies...yea you kind of have to investigate that.  To stop people from the future of doing that. Since some of that obviously illegal. Surprise they didn't hit this harder at the start. Like Get not wanting the Russia thing...if you think it will start world war 3..or it an excuse for the dems. But some of the buisness stuff that just got to be stop.

Now one reason why they may not want to do this is it may not lead to actully making him pay for this. Since unless Trump caught strangling a hooker while putin sits in a corner and masterbate..the repunlican lead senate wont let them charge them. And even then the senate might not do that

But something to be said by making republicans publicly acknowledge they ignoring an obvious crime. Also again Trump may be protected by prosecution...people under him are not. Actully think Jared might be charged soon

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Democratic investigations
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Sounds like the next two years are going to set a benchmark in government productivity, efficiency and cross-party cooperation.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
Hopefully that means we will get properly vetted nominations before they get a seat at the table.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
Sounds like the next two years are going to set a benchmark in government productivity, efficiency and cross-party cooperation.

We had to hit rock bottom before we got better, in other words?

The cynic in me wants to say the Dems won’t have the balls to truly take down this administration and Trump will still be in office, trying to get re-elected in 2020.

NeoGreenLantern

• +93/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »
I kinda want the dems to float the idea they will leave him alone if he plays ball. The slowly chip away at him, getting him to do a 180 on some of the stuff he ran to bury any chance he has at a re-election. The finish him of when he is out of office.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
Looks like I was right to be cynical.  Pelosi took Trump's impeachment off the table.

https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-donald-trump-impeachment-table-immediately-after-democrats-win-1205769?fbclid=IwAR3Sw5Bjkhg8F78SwSQUOWs_Kxl-nkPvTBtjvlG9POkVSdlZYiqZbdXHgSM

And yes, I know impeachments have to go through the Senate, which is currently Republican, but I don't like that she seems so dismissive of impeachment.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:14:26 PM by AP »

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
I think it shows an admirable level of sanity on her part. Impeachment is (or should be) a Big Fucking Deal. As of now, there is nothing to support it. That may change in the future, but for now, it would be completely unproductive to start off the new year by making it a main goal of the Dems. How would anything get done?

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:28:30 PM »
I think it shows an admirable level of sanity on her part. Impeachment is (or should be) a Big Fucking Deal. As of now, there is nothing to support it. That may change in the future, but for now, it would be completely unproductive to start off the new year by making it a main goal of the Dems. How would anything get done?

Who said anything about impeaching Trump at this very moment?

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »

Who said anything about impeaching Trump at this very moment?

People criticizing her statement?

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »
I don't think anyone has said Trump needs to be impeached within the next few days or weeks or even months.  At least no one sane.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:48 PM »
I don't think anyone has said Trump needs to be impeached within the next few days or weeks or even months.  At least no one sane.

You said she was being dismissive of impeachment. I disagree. I think she’s being reasonable. Impeachment is not something that should be brought up or considered lightly. In the absence of anything substantial that would support impeachment, I agree with her statement that impeachment is not on the table. Obviously that can change if new things come to light. Saying “Sure, we’re considering impeachment” in the absence of impeachable evidence would be irresponsible.

AP

• +122/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
I would have mentioned the current investigations into his administration with a wait-and-see attitude if I were her.  A simple "there are no current plans" would have sufficed, really.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:45:29 PM by AP »

MTL76

• +1137/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
I would have mentioned the current investigations into his administration with a wait-and-see attitude if I were her.

I thought that was implied, so I don’t think we’re in disagreement in spirit. I read her statement with the understanding that this is her position at this time. If Mueller drops a bombshell on Trump, I would expect her to change course, and would not consider her to be going back on her word. This is her playing nice with Trump and the GOP because there’s simply no reason not to, and plenty of reasons to do so.

XerxesTWD

• +102/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »
I agree with MTL. I think the likelihood of provable, impeachable offenses exist, but there's nothing substantial enough to justify it.

Impeachment of a populist leader has to be absolutely rock solid.

therock

• +53/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
think there a lot of impeachable offenses if they really look into

think it time to find out if the emoluments clause is an actual thing or merely a friendly suggestion. because it startling to like the latter if they dont look into that

as well as obstruction