Herochat

Superman & Flying...

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Superman & Flying...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 12:19:19 AM »
I think it is more analogous to Superman's 'Super Intelligence'. It's clearly an established and recurring element of Superman's mythos/character. There are plenty of clear examples of Superman having very high intelligence. However, there are also counter examples. And among author's who credit Superman with some kind of super intelligence, there is no real consensus on its exact nature. Super memory is fairly common. Sometimes any special intelligence, if granted at all, seems to come from his super speed like Flash. Sometimes it's a 'super brain' of some kind. Sometimes it's a combination of the last two. Sometimes he has great scientific acumen; sometimes he needs Steel or Professor Hamilton. Sometimes Supes is smart because Kryptonians have more advanced brains--even without being supercharged by a yellow son. Sometimes Superman gets credit for having the DNA of Jor-El, who was the greatest Kryptonian scientist, etc.

Same thing with dynamic power. Sometimes it is 'mentally regulated' power. Sometimes it's simply that he holds back more than others, and that's it. Sometimes this holding back is made more extreme: into 'mental blocks'. Sometimes Superman draws in more Solar energy like a magnet when he gets emotional. Sometimes you get a combination of some or all of the above.

At any rate, that's all I have to say to you on this Jelly. I was extending an olive branch, but you are still too confrontational. Still, we definitely agree that anyone who says that, on the whole, Superman's power level is no more dynamic than your average hero is just plain wrong, for whatever reason.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »
The other explanation is one that mirrors Luthor's theory.

Superman's race developed anti-gravity organs to handle Krypton's enormous gravity, so when he's here on Earth, our significantly less gravity allows him to
control his own gravimetric field (i.e.
personal gravity) and allow him to fly.
With a yellow sun super charging him, it further augments this ability.

Probably the most "realistic" understanding imo, but I'm not sure if this is just jargin or if this the generally accepted norm.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »
The other explanation is one that mirrors Luthor's theory.

Superman's race developed anti-gravity organs to handle Krypton's enormous gravity, so when he's here on Earth, our significantly less gravity allows him to
control his own gravimetric field (i.e.
personal gravity) and allow him to fly.
With a yellow sun super charging him, it further augments this ability.

Probably the most "realistic" understanding imo, but I'm not sure if this is just jargin or if this the generally accepted norm.

Weird but I like it