Herochat

Superman & Flying...

Bran Mak Morn

• +17/-15
    • View Profile
Superman & Flying...
« on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
Has it ever been explained how Supes controls his ability to fly & manoeuvre?

I mean I assume it's a mental thing where he tells himself to speeden up, slow down, turn left, turn right, hover...

Has it ever been explained in more depth?

AP

• +132/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Superman & Flying...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
I think Byrne tried but I'm not sure how canon that is anymore.

MTL76

• +1138/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
He uses dials. Sometimes they get turned up to eleven.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Abhilegend

• +26/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
It was theorized once that he bends time and space to fly, essentially warping reality by his presence.

But other than that? No. And honestly that's for the best.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
John Byrne wrote that his powers (like flight), were essentially psychokinetic in nature.
Its not consistent among most writers, but apparently it kind of pops up every now
and again.

Bran Mak Morn

• +17/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Cool.

I was jus curious with the different mannerisms depicted on screen with the various actors that portrayed him.

I seem to recall Reeves would fly with both arms outstretched then would lower one depending on which direction he was turning.

Superspeed was either one or both arms outstretched & casual flying was usually both arms by either side.

I was juz curious whether it was for dramatic effect or actually served a purpose...

Animalia

• +12/-7
  • Ca nisciun รจ fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:56:55 AM »
John Byrne wrote that his powers (like flight), were essentially psychokinetic in nature.
Its not consistent among most writers, but apparently it kind of pops up every now
and again.
Problem is: if we have to give credit for what Panthergod says, Superman has lot of mental blocks, he's some kind of a retarded, he shouldnt be able to fly.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
and again.
Problem is: if we have to give credit for what Panthergod says, Superman has lot of mental blocks, he's some kind of a retarded, he shouldnt be able to fly.

You're far too stupid to comprehend this concept. Stop trying.

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »

True, but I always figured that under a Yellow Sun, it gave Clark the
ability via some kind of manipulation of his own personal gravity.

Cause you know, "Aliens."

Dlbiininja

• +118/-13217
  • Destroyer of father of socks self-esteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »
Kryptonian gassing.  Even in space it allows him to fly very very fast. 
Due to his Kryptonian nature their very resilient to flames. 
So, he'll never be able to light a fart with a match.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

There's no question that some portrayals--many even--explicitly confirm most of what Panther says about Superman. The question as more to do with how we should view Superman on the whole? Are those portrayals definitive or is Panther somewhat guilty of cherry picking. To be honest, he and I disagree a fair bit on Superman. That said, for the longest time the board was typically more wrong when it came to Supes than Jelly, even if one believes that jelly sometimes went a bit too far.
People used to deny that there was any real evidence to suggest that Superman's powers are more dynamic than your average flying brick's. Actually, the board's opinion of Superman's formidability has come a long way over the last 10+ years.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
I've suplexed most of this board's Superman haters into accepting the facts, and they still can't stop being whiney bitches about comic book characters. Pretty hilarious.

There's no question that some portrayals--many even--explicitly confirm most of what Panther says about Superman. The question as more to do with how we should view Superman on the whole? Are those portrayals definitive or is Panther somewhat guilty of cherry picking. To be honest, he and I disagree a fair bit on Superman. That said, for the longest time the board was typically more wrong when it came to Supes than Jelly, even if one believes that jelly sometimes went a bit too far.
People used to deny that there was any real evidence to suggest that Superman's powers are more dynamic than your average flying brick's. Actually, the board's opinion of Superman's formidability has come a long way over the last 10+ years.

You've been corrected on this subject many times, going to the writers, editors etc own accounts. This subject and questions you raise have been answered ad nauseum, and then you'll pretend that the answers you are given --by the creators-- are somehow less valid than those of contrarians who hate the character because you want to pretend to be 'objective". you aren't. you're just trolling at this point.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
You are so all or nothing. We are simply in disagreement as to the degree to which creators regard certain elements of Superman's power set as "core" and non-negotiable elements.
I don't think dynamic power is as core an element of Superman's power set as Flying or Heat Vision. Certainly not yet. So I don't necessarily believe that we should interpret every Superman portrayal as having the same kind of dynamic potential that Loeb or others have credited him with *IF* that writer or creator hasn't said he has such potential (in or out of comics). That's really it. You seem to think that Superman's dynamic power is as unanimously agreed to as Hulk's, and always characterized in the same manner, as the Hulk's is. I don't think that is necessarily the case.
All you've given me before is examples of creators who do credit him with a degree of dynamic power--and I agree. But that power is often characterized in a different way, and I still don't think we can assume that every time Superman loses a fight that the writer in question felt that Superman could have won if he could have 'dropped his mental blocks' or whatever.

ProjectCornDog

• +16/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
Did you guys see Stan Lee talking about this exact subject?

It's gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFhygYr7fc&t=21s

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
You are so all or nothing. We are simply in disagreement as to the degree to which creators regard certain elements of Superman's power set as "core" and non-negotiable elements.

All this nonsense. and all you have to do is READ THE COMICS for the answer.
I don't think dynamic power is as core an element of Superman's power set as Flying or Heat Vision. Certainly not yet. So I don't necessarily believe that we should interpret every Superman portrayal as having the same kind of dynamic potential that Loeb or others have credited him with *IF* that writer or creator hasn't said he has such potential (in or out of comics). That's really it.
So in other words, you are beginning with the assumption that a given writer disagrees with the canonical facts about the character because they either don't care or ignore an ability he is proven to have.

By this reasoning, any writer that hasn't displayed, say, freeze breath, in a given superman story, therefore That portrayal of Superman doesn't not have that ability.

Or super speed.

Guess wha--saying NOTHING about a issue doesn't mean they necessarily DISAGREE. Maybe they just DON"T CARE either way. Maybe they have something else to say abut the cracater beyond parsing out his power mechanicsSaying NOTHING about this issue is not a "No" it is a 'neutral' at best. And that does NOT counteract the established, proven published portrayals they are meant to be continuing.
No, give examples of writers portraying Superman as NOT having dynamic power. Stan Lee, for example, specifically write that Thor's innate strength cannot increase as he fights, in contrast to the Hulk in Thor 385.

THAT would be an example demonstrating your stance borne out of desperate yearning for approval from people who go out of their way to lie about this character.

By contrast, Byrne, the creator of the Post Crisis Superman, absolutely portrays Superman as having dynamic strength-- and yes, every subsequent portrayal of that character REQUIRES any given writer to have read and e familiar with his portrayal, as you full well know. the editorial regime's continuity-- collaborative, collective mapped, with everyone sharing subplots and overarching themes, INCLUDING Superman having hidden potential power starting in Byrne, highlighted in the Eradicator-Krypton Man/ Red Glass/ Satannus-Blaze War and culminating in DoS.

You seem to think that Superman's dynamic power is as unanimously agreed to as Hulk's, and always characterized in the same manner, as the Hulk's is. I don't think that is necessarily the case.
All you've given me before is examples of creators who do credit him with a degree of dynamic power--and I agree. But that power is often characterized in a different way, and I still don't think we can assume that every time Superman loses a fight that the writer in question felt that Superman could have won if he could have 'dropped his mental blocks' or whatever.
If that is specifically shown, then you have a case.

Give the examples.

Otherwise, nearly every major Superman portrayal for 30 years has dynamic power-- period-- and any claim to the contrary is a purposeful lie.