Herochat

Social Justice Media

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Social Justice Media
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 05:06:11 AM »
At least English language has almost no noun gender issue.
That shit is becoming ridiculous here.

Yeah, with the romantic languages having genders for nouns, I'd imagine that would be difficult if people decided to stop using gender specific words.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
At least English language has almost no noun gender issue.
That shit is becoming ridiculous here.

Yeah, with the romantic languages having genders for nouns, I'd imagine that would be difficult if people decided to stop using gender specific words.

The main reason English lost all those genders and inflections is because of all the invading done by the Vikings and the French. With all those new words coming in and people mixing, it was just easier to drop a lot of that.

Also, they're called the Romance languages not because of their connection to romance, but because they evolved from the Roman language. In southern France, they weren't at war as much as other parts of France, so most of their literature focused on love, and was written in the local vernacular so the word romance evolved out of that . Not sure if anyone knew that but I thought it was interesting.

Thorne

• +35/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
I started a little bit of a troll thread and got knowledge dropped on me... you guys are awesome!

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun รจ fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 11:14:17 AM »
Give me a break, I'm trying to figure out how I should define you in Italian language, no clear translation for "it".

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 12:14:22 PM »
Yeah where I work we hand-out caps for the kids to take home. We were instructed yesterday that we can no longer assume the pink ones are for girls & the blue ones are for boys...
We must let them choose themselves what colour they want...suffice to say, the girls still choose pink & the boys, blue.

I'm not surprised. I also think it's fine to give the kids a choice.

The point was it was never a big deal to begin with...we never bothered to hand out individual caps. We just dumped them on the table & told the kids they could have one.

It was just ridiculous that we had to have a staff meeting where the topic was deemed "serious & sensitive."

Basically, real life interactions are a lot smoother than Internet ones. Humans are social creatures and mostly, we don't want to make waves. I don't think using someone's desired pronouns is a big deal. I would find it off-putting if someone came out and made a demand that I use a certain set of pronouns if they didn't match their appearance (while Tina was Tina, she wore a dress, make up, the whole nine yards, which made it easy.) And I find it more than off-putting when people say that if someone didn't internally believe that Tom was now a woman, they're an awful bigot.

Yeah I had an uncle who years after separating from my aunt, decided he felt more comfortable wearing female clothes. His mother, close relatives & friends were fine & accepting with it.

However the times I visited him, he felt ashamed & would resort back to male clothing. I always wanted to tell him that I knew & had no issues.
Maybe I guess deep down he didn't want to "taint" the memories of being married to my aunty.

The meeting should have been an email that said "we are making it or official policy kids get to pick their own hat. "Cool? Cool."

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Also, they're called the Romance languages not because of their connection to romance, but because they evolved from the Roman language. In southern France, they weren't at war as much as other parts of France, so most of their literature focused on love, and was written in the local vernacular so the word romance evolved out of that . Not sure if anyone knew that but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, I thought that was common knowledge.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
yeah, and here we are speaking Germanic like some common Germanian.

Clownprince23

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »

Yeah, I thought that was common knowledge.

Yeah, I figured the majority of people here would know that. I'm listening to a podcast on the history of the English language, and don't have anyone in my immediate circle that would be interested. So when I saw a thread on pronouns I got excited.

One thing about pronouns is that they've changed and evolved so much that the current trend to get rid of the gender should make sense, I feel like this is being forced where as all the other changes evolved over time.