Herochat

Doc Ock's face turn: Your thoughts?

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
Doc Ock's face turn: Your thoughts?
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
So as of Amazing Spidey #800, as thanks for his assistance in battling Norman Osborn/Carnage/Red Goblin, Spidey told Doctor Octopus that the slate was clean between the two of them, and like Venom before him, Otto has moved to San Francisco to start his anti-hero career. He's even getting his own ongoing.

1.) It was controversial when Spidey gave his blessing to Eddie Brock, a multiple murderer. And Otto's criminal career has been much longer and bloodier. Did Pete do the right thing? What do you think about Octopus being let go?

2.) Do you like the idea of Doc Ock trying to go heroic?

3.) How long do you think it will last? Spidey's rogues have a mixed bag when it comes to going straight; some of them pull it off, others eventually fall again. And there's few Spidey villains more iconic than Doctor Octopus.
Truten forever!

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Ock's face turn: Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
Ock works best as a villain who doesn’t think he’s a villain, but a man with worthy goals who will do almost anything to accomplish them. Not a fan of a full-fledged hero turn. Maybe he’ll do something about the public defecation problem in SF.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• +44/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
I kind of like it.

Mark your ground

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:36 AM »
I love it

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:57:35 AM »
1. No he didnt do the right thing.
If Doc wants to reform he should turn himself in and/or get a legal pardon.

2. I can take it or leave it.

3. No idea.

scourge broke first

Strawman Abridged

• +21/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:21:16 AM »
I can dig it. Good to see Spidey and Co. have made a difference by turning some major baddies around. Helps make up for some of the other depressing bleak shit: Curt Connors killing his kid, Sandman murdering his ex...Nevermind the fact that Aunt May has lost not one, not two, but THREE fucking men in her life by now. That's some Saving Private Ryan level of absurd personal loss.

Of course, it'd be best if writers were to come up with some reason explaining why said "redeemed" former villains don't just own up and willingly turn themselves over to rot in prison, however contrived; government-mandated pardons in return for civil service/espionage, getting kidnapped or forced out by some villainous force, anything really that renders willful imprisonment impossible. But then, there'd ideally also be fresh new villains created to permanently supplant them to engender some narrative progression.

Bring on Professor Vampire Squid and Infection already.