Herochat

Do you find Superman boring or interesting?

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
Do you find Superman boring or interesting?
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »
Note, this is unrelated to battleboards.
I admit I cant understand the appeal, aside few runs in the past, like Byrne' one( hated by Sups fans) I find him pretty boring, a bit less when in Jla.
Now, I have also sometimes  found boring other guys like the Hulk and Wolverine but Superman? Damn, I find the whole concept dull.

You?

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
Re: Do you find Superman boring or interesting?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »
I love the character.

That said, he’s overpowered af.
I can get on my soapbox and rant about fanboys only caring about feats, and him being written that way to make them happy, but i wont.
It is what it is.
At his core he’s the most powerful DC hero (without necessarily being the strongest, fastest, or smartest), he has one of the richest supporting casts in the game, and is a humble guy, because he knows he IS basically the top dog.
Its what Byrne did so well w. the character, and why a lot of modern fans turn their nose up at that version.

I grew up on pre Crisis Supes, the Crisis itself, and got Byrne’s version firsthand.
Bottom line his Supes was WAY more interesting than what it replaced.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:44:35 AM by Riv1 »

scourge broke first

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:20 AM »
Unequivocally boring. His most interesting version was the one from the Justice League cartoon because even though he was immensely powerful, he wasn't invincible and at the precipice of being able to do basically anything. And he had issues; he often had to hold back still, some people and leaders of Earth were skeptical of a man with all that power, and him being part of a team with a laser weapon pointed straight at Earth. THAT Superman I can support.

But the one where Riv laid out the "the twelve labors of Superman" which included holding a singularity in a single hand, read every single medical text and learn surgery without having to practice a single time, have the stamina to bench Earth for 5 days and ask if there was any harder challenges available, etc? Fuck that guy. The stories and possibilities are boring.

There's a crime, I wonder what GOD Is going to do to solve it!? Omg a hard circumstance has been presented! How is GOD going to handle it!? OMG a new super villain, I wonder what GOD Is going to do to stop it!?!??!?

Yeah, not fun. 

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
Spamming an article I wrote fairly recently on the matter for my site, but I dig Superman. At least, a LOT more than I do Batman, who I find to be the truly boring character.

https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/07/30/the-s-stands-for-superior-why-superman-is-better-than-batman/

https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/12/04/show-12-4-18-animated-feature/ (The Top Ten cartoons based on comic book characters!)

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
He can be interesting but I feel a lot of writers fail at making him interesting.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
I find him interesting for the most part but writers and the fans who just care about feats make him boring.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
Superman can be good, but he almost never is.

Tjackflash

• +6/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
  Superman like Capt. America can be great characters when they have the right writers.  Supes as was mentioned with John Byrne, or the series done by JMS and Cap with Mark Waid all have done marvelous jobs on books that others later turned into steaming piles of dog-crap.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
Superman can be good, but he almost never is.

☝️☝️☝️
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Uhtceare

• +20/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
I very much liked All-Star Superman, but am not a big fan generally. I think the number of writers who can make what is essentially Jesus in spandex work is quite small. There is something quietly engrossing about reading something like All-Star Superman. It's not thrilling in the action-adventure sense, but it is very enjoyable.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
Universally, everyone who finds any character "boring" due to power levels are laughable excuse for fans of speculative fiction and imagination in general. Universally the useful idiot masses of fandom.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
I very much liked All-Star Superman, but am not a big fan generally. I think the number of writers who can make what is essentially Jesus in spandex work is quite small. There is something quietly engrossing about reading something like All-Star Superman. It's not thrilling in the action-adventure sense, but it is very enjoyable.
I actually find that version pretty boring.

A lot of Supes versions to me arent so much boring as bad. New 52 Supes, w. his emphasis on feats, frat boy ‘tude, no lois, banging WW, was exciting. Just awful to me as a fan.

scourge broke first

INDRA THUNDERER

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »
Superman wins!...is all that matters! ;D

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »

If you understand what Morrison was getting a it's that much more enjoyable. Literally a treatise for this Aeon, if you're hip to it.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
Superman is awesome. He’s a character with a great supporting cast, awesome rogues, interesting back story, a cool look, and a deep continuity. I like his moral consistency and his personality is the definition of a superhero. Yes, he’s powerful, but power levels of characters are relative to the stories they are in.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium