Herochat

Captain Marvel Trailer

ProjectCornDog

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Marvel Trailer
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Fake news!!!

I never predicted Captain Marvel to take out Thanos herself. My worry is that she is going to become the strongest Avenger when there's no comic precedence, there's not natural progression, only because she's Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman.

Let me clarify though, I have ZERO problem with Captain Marvel being a top-tier character. And it has nothing to do with gender. If Marvel introduced Sentry to the MCU, I'd be way more angry. At least Carol Danvers is interesting, Sentry comes out of nowhere and can stalemate Galactus. Fuck characters like that and fuck writing that ends up going that route.

Carol was pretty powerful during her Binary days.  Granted, it's hard to say she was the most powerful Avenger as Marvel isn't the sort of universe that has an established hierarchy but Carol can amp herself to some insane levels.

That is true. Like I said, I have no problem with her being top-tier. She was consistently in Iron Man's league in the comics. If she gets a slight power boost for the movies, sure. But I don't want her to be the Superman of Marvel where she's the undisputed strongest.

XerxesTWD

• +98/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 02:38:56 PM »
Why is there no natural progression?

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 05:36:52 PM »
What would you consider ‘natural progression’?

POW! SCOURGE! BREAK! THWACK!

ProjectCornDog

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »

All of this might end up getting covered in the film since we're dealing with time travel and having a "she's already been here" time plot.

HOWEVER, I think Bendis showed with Sentry, saying a character was there we just don't remember enough to recall em, shows it's certainly no magic bullet.

I think Thor and Hulk for example have natural progressive character arcs. They had their own thing (in Hulk's case more than once) before meeting the other Avengers. They proved themselves solo, proved themselves in a team up, and then continued to grow even further (as seen in Ragnarok) in skill and strength. And even then, both of them got their asses handed to them in Infinity War (which resulted in Thor getting an upgrade and we assume Hulk will get some type of boost/redemption).

I think it should make sense that a girl who just got abducted by aliens, had 50% of the universe wiped out, and never met the other Avengers would be a bit timid to say the least versus stealing the show and outshining everyone (again, not saying this will happen, just hoping it doesn't).

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
This movie takes place in the 90's.

XerxesTWD

• +98/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:35 PM »
Completely forgetting that fact is the only reason I can think of for why he made that post.

NeoGreenLantern

• +91/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:59 PM »
You would think the blockbuster and deaged characters would have been a good enough reminder.

ProjectCornDog

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:50 PM »
If you're talking to me, I obviously know it takes place in the 90s hence why i started with "All of this might end up getting covered in the film since we're dealing with time travel and having a "she's already been here" time plot." It seems like she might gets suspended in an alien ship or something considering how she looks normal in the present and the rest of the world changes.

AP

• +112/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
If you're talking to me, I obviously know it takes place in the 90s hence why i started with "All of this might end up getting covered in the film since we're dealing with time travel and having a "she's already been here" time plot." It seems like she might gets suspended in an alien ship or something considering how she looks normal in the present and the rest of the world changes.

You mentioned Sentry.  The issue with that character is that he met everyone and was still living in the MU this entire time.  It was just inserted into the cnaon in a ham fisted way.  In this movie, it seems Nick Fury and maybe Coulson are the only major players who know about her.  Previous movies and the Agents of SHIELD series already showed they have been aware of aliens and superheroes for some time.  Hell, even the first Iron Man movie shows that both men have been around long enough to see some shit.  So it makes sense that Fury has known about her this entire time.  It's a much more natural fit.

I'm not sure what you mean about the time plot.  Time travel might be involved but I think it's a safer bet that she's just been on the other side of the galaxy fighting the Kree/Skrull War.  After all, Fury is contacting her at the end of Infinity War and I doubt he would be doing that if she had been lost in time.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »
What AP and Project Corn Dog think will happen:

I thought I was supposed to be the SJW of the board.

Funny you bring that up.  This reminds me of a tweet I saw.   Where what I guess is a comicgater or someone of that ilk felt she didn't smile enough.  https://twitter.com/TFMonkeyYouTube/status/1042171852221763584?s=19

I loved her response to that nonsense:

NeoGreenLantern

• +91/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
Not too long ago I said the easiest way to not look racist is not referring to monkeys when talking about black people. Well the easiest way to not look sexist is not telling women to smile more.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »

All of this might end up getting covered in the film since we're dealing with time travel and having a "she's already been here" time plot.

HOWEVER, I think Bendis showed with Sentry, saying a character was there we just don't remember enough to recall em, shows it's certainly no magic bullet.

I think Thor and Hulk for example have natural progressive character arcs. They had their own thing (in Hulk's case more than once) before meeting the other Avengers. They proved themselves solo, proved themselves in a team up, and then continued to grow even further (as seen in Ragnarok) in skill and strength. And even then, both of them got their asses handed to them in Infinity War (which resulted in Thor getting an upgrade and we assume Hulk will get some type of boost/redemption).

I think it should make sense that a girl who just got abducted by aliens, had 50% of the universe wiped out, and never met the other Avengers would be a bit timid to say the least versus stealing the show and outshining everyone (again, not saying this will happen, just hoping it doesn't).
I got it now, thanks.

TBF though, the whole Sentry written into history thing sucked because Marvel did a sucky job executing it (planting the fake WIZARD story was just ridiculous).

Well, that and Sentry is an awful character.
Blue Marvel was give a similar, subtler write in to Marvel history and he’s done fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:23:55 AM by Riv1 »

POW! SCOURGE! BREAK! THWACK!

ProjectCornDog

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
Exactly my point. If it's more subtle, it can be done right. But damn, Marvel never needed a Superman so to force Sentry and make so many stories focus around him? Blah.

Thank you for that scan RIV, I never saw that hahaha. I cant believe Marvel is bringing Sentry back after he crashed and burned so much they had to outright make him a villain.

As far as Carol Danvers goes? MY GUESS Is that she will be suspended in an alien ship and will somehow break free and wake up in the modern world, not having aged when the rest of the world has. I could be completely wrong and maybe AP is right (your prediction may be 100% right, that she's just on the other side of the universe and that a distress signal from Fury makes her come back).

NeoGreenLantern

• +91/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2018, 09:56:24 AM »
You really think they are going to give her the space Captain America origin?

ProjectCornDog

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
In a way yes.

I don't remember if they had this type of plot in the comics, but I know in the great "Earths Mightiest Heroes" show, there were several heroes aboard a skrull ship (I believe for years) as prisoners. Add time suspension for some reason (either because they are traveling at such weir speeds or because they want to preserve her to study in order to make a Super Skrull or something).