Herochat

Battle of the Week: Captain America vs Deathstroke

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
Battle of the Week: Captain America vs Deathstroke
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
Nominated by Animalia.  Standard gear for Slade.

Captain America

VS

Deathstroke

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Week: Captain America vs Deathstroke
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:20 PM »
Mmm ::)

I'm gonna say DS takes this 6/10 for now.
Cap has probably less low showing than DS but the latter has actually defeated some of the best DC MA or at least had the edge against them, it seems Cap ha no notable victory ovwr

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
I'm giving this to Deathstroke honestly. Obviously close as fuck and it would be a bloody mess.

They're gonna have to put Captain America back in ice to repair his injuries after this.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »
Cap wins. More skill and superior improv.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
Standard gear for Slade is, what? His staff, a couple of guns, sword, maybe a few grenades and knives? While he certainly has more offensive options at his disposal, none of them are anything that Cap has not faced before. The only thing that may be a "surprise" is the staff's ability to blast. That might catch Cap off-guard, though I'd like to think Cap would recognize Slade setting up his moves to put Cap in line for a shot from the staff more often than not. I think Cap gets the majority.

Cap, 6/10.

Not BAMF

• +22/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
In a straight random encounter, Cap wins 60%-ish.

pittfox

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »
Yeah I also have Cap.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Cap rarely loses against any street leveler--I think I might be able to count his straight losses to them over the last 50 years using only one hand.

He takes the majority, but Slade makes him really work and hurt for it.

Red Exodus

• +14/-22
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Who's the idiot that gave Cap 90-100%?

Like come on, Slade isnt that weak.

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
He rarely loses, sure...but at the same time, despite having veen claimed to be one of the most skilled fighters out there and at the same time having superior stats, he has basically defeated no one.
By "no one" I mean elite MA.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
He rarely loses, sure...but at the same time, despite having veen claimed to be one of the most skilled fighters out there and at the same time having superior stats, he has basically defeated no one.

That's fair up to an extent, especially depending on how you define elite, but keep in mind the same applies to a lot of Marvel A-listers (e.g. What are Shang Chi's elite MA victories again?). Even without straight wins against the creme de la creme (which I think happens to be more hero heavy in the MU vs DCU, and that affects outcomes), he's usually shown as superior in some way whether or not the fight ends up interrupted, they stop fighting because of his status as the most inspiring and respected hero on the planet, etc.

Taking your argument at face value, I don't think it'd be fair to say Slade could manage more than 50/50--you could argue that Cap's actual win ratio wouldn't guarantee him a majority over Slade, but Cap's infinitessimal loss % is definitely  a strong barrier vice versa.

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »

That's fair up to an extent, especially depending on how you define elite, but keep in mind the same applies to a lot of Marvel A-listers (e.g. What are Shang Chi's elite MA victories again?). Even without straight wins against the creme de la creme (which I think happens to be more hero heavy in the MU vs DCU, and that affects outcomes), he's usually shown as superior in some way whether or not the fight ends up interrupted, they stop fighting because of his status as the most inspiring and respected hero on the planet, etc.

Taking your argument at face value, I don't think it'd be fair to say Slade could manage more than 50/50--you could argue that Cap's actual win ratio wouldn't guarantee him a majority over Slade, but Cap's infinitessimal loss % is definitely  a strong barrier vice versa.
Sure, I can see 50/50 here with Cap's shield being a counter for DS weapons and healing factor.
My only point is that DS has been shown(by feat ) to be on average better than all other street levelers.

Dont get me wrong, if I were to write Cap, I would write him as being " superior"the same way but I dont think Marvel would allow this...
Wolverine is a better counterpart imho, he and share lot of low showing despite their status.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Sure, I can see 50/50 here with Cap's shield being a counter for DS weapons and healing factor.
My only point is that DS has been shown(by feat ) to be on average better than all other street levelers.

Kinda, but he's also been shown to be more beatable by them. Slade's couple victories over Batman have either been double KOs (Priest) or pyrrhic wins where be was so messed up from the fight a tied up normal human was able to kick his ass (Wolfman); Nightwing has also managed to make Slade look pretty bad, more than once.

I can't think of anyone taking it to Cap like that, and he's scuffled with pretty much everyone, except for Spider-Man-fighting-strength Kingpin back in the early 70's. His worst showings tend to be inconclusive fights where he was either shown as superior or dead even.

That said, I wouldn't quibble with 50/50--that's not a crazy opinion or anything.

Dont get me wrong, if I were to write Cap, I would write him as being " superior"the same way but I dont think Marvel would allow this...
Wolverine is a better counterpart imho, he and share lot of low showing despite their status.

Agreed on Wolverine being the best counterpart for a fight like this, despite Logan's inferior intelligence. I loved their brief fights and one-upmanship in the Titans/X-Men crossover.

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »
Slade wins first fight. Cap narrowly beats him in rematch.

Abhilegend

• +24/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »

That argument has always been bullshit.

Cap was called basic level fighter by Danny, almost killed by Flash Venom while holding back, matched by Daredevil everytime (except Streets of Poison) and conceded a skill edge to him, overpowered by Deadpool etc.

Kinda, but he's also been shown to be more beatable by them. Slade's couple victories over Batman have either been double KOs (Priest) or pyrrhic wins where be was so messed up from the fight a tied up normal human was able to kick his ass (Wolfman); Nightwing has also managed to make Slade look pretty bad, more than once.

While Cap has never been able to beat Daredevil despite his strength advantage.

Also Batman used prep against Slade under Priest using anti Superman weaponry.

Slade has beaten Nightwing at half strength.

I can't think of anyone taking it to Cap like that, and he's scuffled with pretty much everyone, except for Spider-Man-fighting-strength Kingpin back in the early 70's. His worst showings tend to be inconclusive fights where he was either shown as superior or dead even.

That said, I wouldn't quibble with 50/50--that's not a crazy opinion or anything.

Deadpool has overpowered Cap under Duggan. Flash Venom almost killed Cap in one punch too.