Herochat

Your favorite Marvel event crossover(s) of the event age, in retrospect (2000s)

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Annihilation for me. it was good to see the cosmic stuff getting some focus, and it helped get us the Guardians of the Galaxy we know and love on the big screen

ProjectCornDog

• +5/-14
    • View Profile
Annihilation for me. it was good to see the cosmic stuff getting some focus, and it helped get us the Guardians of the Galaxy we know and love on the big screen

It absolutely did.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
Yeah, but wasn't Conquest where they really started to come together? I could be off, but that's how I remember it.

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
Yeah it was Conquest but all of the stuff starting at Anhilation lead up to it. a/a:c/guardians/WoK was like I've big story by Abnett and Lanning.

Riv1

• +62/-1052
  • but doctor i am pagliacci
    • View Profile
Nah, just starting in the 2000s. I just edited the title to clarify that.
Either didnt read, or didnt care, for anything listed. Those excessive crossovers are one of the reasons i wuit collecting Marvel, before i quit comics altogether.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
Oh, I hear you - but you probably read some tie-ins to some of them, right? Like I said, on almost all of them, my favorites are just a matter of which had the most high quality arcs in other books. I agree, the writing in almost all of the main books was atrocious.

Riv1

• +62/-1052
    • View Profile
The tie ins were awful, derailing the comics i collected for no real reason.
A once a year or two event, for an issue, i could deal w. that. Those events were coming out so close together the comics seemed 90% tie ins.

Example. The HERC comic (where he was depowered and doing street level action). It only lasted 10 issues.
4 were FEAR ITSELF tie ins.
2 were SPIDER ISLAND tie ins.
My opinion is, thats WHY it only lasted 10 issues.

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
I said to letters thats the reason why Marvel was struggling and not some secret liberal agenda to immasculate men and he couldn't wrap his head around it.

Personally I just read them online. If marvel and DC decides to take their heads out of their asses and slow down with the crossovers I might start collecting again.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
I stopped because the editors clearly don't give a fuck about anything. But yeah, events quickly grew to be an overly frequent, flat waste of story time.

That said, I maintain that gifted writers managed to spin good material out of events, such as Mi:13 & Journey Into Mystery's big tie ins.

Speaking of Herc, which event was it with the God Squad tie-in arc? Was that Secret Invasion?

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
Secret Invasion where they fought a Skrull god and again in Chaos War.

Riv1

• +62/-1052
    • View Profile
I said to letters thats the reason why Marvel was struggling and not some secret liberal agenda to immasculate men and he couldn't wrap his head around it.

Personally I just read them online. If marvel and DC decides to take their heads out of their asses and slow down with the crossovers I might start collecting again.
Well, letters isnt that smart.

I think Marvel’s cut back on the crossovers. Or at least they arent including every title for no reason anyway. I collect a few Marvel books now, and havent seen any tie ins which is a blessing.

Visitor-Q

• +12/-0
    • View Profile
I tend to hate sprawling crossover events, and the more sprawling the event in # of titles/issues/writers, the worse I usually find it--so most of the crossovers on your list were hot messes to me.

Out of what you listed, the ones that were "good or decent but flawed" IMO were Annihilation, Infinity, and Maximum Security, in descending order. Siege, if you include the Dark Reign stuff, had little bits and pieces I really liked, but serious execution issues. Same for AvX.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:12:32 PM by Visitor-Q »

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Yeah, but wasn't Conquest where they really started to come together? I could be off, but that's how I remember it.

yeah but I tend to lump those two events together. I know I shouldn't, but I do

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
Maximum Security - missed it

House of M - didn't read it (not a big X-men fan)

Annihilation - 8.5/10; brilliant book, best space battles I've seen in a comic.

Civil War - 9/10; not my favourite on this list (that would be WWH) but I recognize this as the 'BIG ONE' on this list. Does everything an event should. I remember being so hyped for that Issue #4 and the teased Thor return, bastards.

World War Hulk - 8/10; so much fun and the battle board stuff after was epic

Annihilation: Conquest - 4.5/10; poor man's Annihilation

Secret Invasion - 4/10; good idea, just never warmed to it, art was suitably creepy though.

War of Kings - missed it

Siege - 7/10; loved the art, would have liked a proper Thor vs. Sentry clash though. One of the better books from Bendis, notably shorter/less decompressed.

Fear Itself - I need to go back and read this again, can't remember the ending so I won't rate it

Shadowland - missed it

Messiah Complex - missed it

Chaos War - 6/10; big Herc fan and it was decent enough I suppose

Avengers vs. X-Men - 5/10; I liked the idea but not the execution, nice art though, FU Emma Frost.

Age of Ultron - 2/10; didn't do it for me

Infinity - have toyed with buying the trade but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet

Original Sin - 5/10; mixed feelings on this due to the whisper bullshit but it was an interesting book

altoon

• +9/-5
    • View Profile
I loved Messiah Complex. And Second Coming.  Although I really hated that Bishop bullshit it was stupid came out of nowhere and didn't help make the Cable series any good.