Herochat

Your favorite Marvel event crossover(s) of the event age, in retrospect (2000s)

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
Looking back at the myriad crossover events that were foisted on us in the wake of Avengers Disassembled (itself not an event-proper) with some distance, which do you look back on as being the ones you most enjoyed or think most fondly of? Why? What were the highlights for you?

Maximum Security (actually pre-dating the Bendis-led "event era")
House of M
Annihilation
Civil War
World War Hulk
Annihilation: Conquest
Secret Invasion
War of Kings
Siege
Fear Itself
Shadowland
Messiah Complex
Chaos War
Avengers vs. X-Men
Age of Ultron
Infinity
Original Sin

We'll cut it off there. I had all but forgotten about some of them. I tried to mostly keep it to big ones, and with an exception or two, company-wide ones. If, like me, you didn't like the main books of just about any of them, you can always judge by the best tie-ins.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:40:20 AM by Whiskeyclone »

Not BAMF

• +22/-13
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite Marvel event crossover(s) of the event age, in retrospect
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:39:56 AM »
Age of Apocalypse

Does the original Secret Wars count? Or was the first one Secret War? The one with the symbiote's first appearance.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
Nah, just starting in the 2000s. I just edited the title to clarify that.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
I'd like to be able to say Maximum Security, for mixing cosmic & Earth-stuff and being pre-Bendis, but I honestly remember the writing being pretty mediocre.

I had a lot of beefs with Annihilation, but I'll mention it just out of gratitude for the Terrax/Stardust one-shot that came out of it, haha.

It seems like people settled into accepting Civil War as the best of the main events a while ago...I'd have to revisit.

I actually though Annihilation: Conquest was written better than the first, but it certainly lacked for big, fun names.

Secret Invasion had some solid tie-ins, starting with the fantastic opening arc of Captain Britain & MI-13 and extending to good stuff like the Black Panther stuff, the Thunderbolts stuff, the X-Factor stuff, etc.

Fear Itself might be my favorite of the actual events just because it was so fun and battle board-y. The writing wasn't anything great, but it was good pop-corn and also had some high-end tie-ins (Thunderbolts, Alpha Flight, Journey Into Mystery, etc).

AvX & Age of Ultron have got to be among the utter worst. I wanted to like Original Sin, but it wound up fucking things up pretty bad, including starting Thor down the endless run of degradation he's been on since.

As far as more contained ones, I feel like Utopia wasn't awful and I kind of liked what was going on around then (Dark Avengers, Namor with the X-Men, etc)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:22:38 AM by Whiskeyclone »

Not BAMF

• +22/-13
    • View Profile
Ohhh... ew.

Since 2000, the only Marvel events I have slightly enkoyed have been Annihilation, Civil War, and House of M. Pretty much everything else has been middling-to-awful.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
Yep, that's the challenge!

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
Yeah, it is difficult.

Annihiliation, I guess?  It's the only one that didn't seem to be a rehash of some Secret War or Infinity whatsit while also staying true to characters.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
I felt a lot of the characterization was a bit off or revisionist actually. And their efforts to make it a big ground-war Starship Troopers kind of thing meant they had to sacrifice a decent amount of common sense and add in PiS. Plus, the narration wound up feeling forced and hackneyed "War is Hell!"-heavy.

But it definitely had its moments.

ProjectCornDog

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
Cool topic, I like this:

1) Civil War. I know it's as controversial as the bill itself but I really liked this one. Most of the tie-ins were fun and there wasn't a clear 'good' or 'evil.' I've been waiting for a story like this since I was a little kid and loved that it happened. I enjoyed how a version of it eventually became a great fun film.

2) Annihilation: Conquest. Before this I wasn't big on the cosmic people and always thought a lot of them were loopy or just too OP. This was really fun and really changed the dynamic for me. Made me view comics differently honestly so much so I understand the cosmic beings in DC more.

3) Dark Reign (if that counts)

4) Siege

5) World War Hulk

6) Infinity

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun รจ fess!!!
    • View Profile
Damn, starting from 2000...otherwise I would have said act of vengeance, a good idea at the time.
I 'd say Siege and Axis werent bad.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
Anhilation
infinity
Conquest
Civil War
Secret Invasion

Special nod to Spider-Verse since it wasn't an event. That shit was so much fun.

ProjectCornDog

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
Anhilation
infinity
Conquest
Civil War
Secret Invasion

Special nod to Spider-Verse since it wasn't an event. That shit was so much fun.

DAMN thats not considered an event? I mean jesus, so many good Spider-characters died. One right off the bat was Spider-Girl's badass one-legged/robotic leg Spider-Man.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
It's not an event in the sense it was basically contained within Spider-Man.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
Also I've been told having a bad ass one legged old Spider-Man running around us immasculating.

ProjectCornDog

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
Also I've been told having a bad ass one legged old Spider-Man running around us immasculating.

Lmao. And yes that is true it was contained to the Spider-Worlds. But it did have an impact with other titles in a way such as Exiles, Spider-Man 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, soon-to-be Spider-Gwen. But ultimately, yes, contained.

Poor Spider-Man and his amazing friends :-(

(although its kind of funny)