Herochat

Does you're state have a lot of amusement parks?

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
Does you're state have a lot of amusement parks?
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
Or if your not in the US are amusement parks a thing in your country and what are some good ones.

I was just thinking about this because I'll be taking my daughter to Sesame Place on Sunday and it will be the 4th amusement park we go to this summer, the other three being  Dorney Park, Hershey Park, and Knoebels. All of them within driving range of where I live and it doesn't even scratch the surface of different parks I can drive to. Even more so if I count water parks.

Thanos6

• +21/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Does you're state have a lot of amusement parks?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
South Carolina's biggest is Carowinds, right on the border with North Carolina. And down in Myrtle Beach there's Family Kingdom, The Pavilion, O.D. Pavilion, plus a few water parks and animal attractions.
Truten forever!

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »
Both Illinois and Missouri have a Six Flags.  Both states also have a lot of water parks like Raging Rivers.  Missouri has Silver Dollar city as well which is a folksy amusement park/historical center that was really fun.  I remember there were rides and shows based around the gang that used to rob trains back in the 1800's, demonstrations on how people made shit back in the day, a funhouse that was styled as an old timey mansion, etc.  St Louis also has a sort of indoor amusement park called City Museum which is sort of a giant playground that adults can enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:25:44 AM by AP »

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
As for South Korea, there was Everland, Lotte World, and Seoul World as well as Carribean Bay.  Korean parks tend to be pretty blah considering they're rip-offs of American parks (a lot of things in Korea are rip-offs).

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
Yes, California has 25. 10 of them are the large "Disneyland" types.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
OK has a few, none of them great. Like everything else in Oklahoma. Although Bells was fucking fantastic back in the 90s. Frontier City is a but like SDC, on a smaller level. It's pretty fun too
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

Sidenote is anyone surprised New Jersey has Action Park the unsafe park that inspired the new movie Action Point?

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »
New Jersey has a few, mostly known for the Six Flag parks. The main park within Six Flags is cool since it also has a Jungle Safari and at the end you can feed giraffes. I havent been there past summer but apparently its open through October to the point they always have Halloween themed events. I was just at the water park over the weekend, good times.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
Growing up in PA I would always see commercials for Six Flags but we never went. A couple years ago I went and I was highly disappointed. Everything seemed run down. We didn't even do the Safari because there was a really long wait.

The following year we went to Busch Gardens and I was worried we would have the same experience but that place exceeded my expectations.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
Ive heard great things, I need to go there. Problem with amusement parks up north, not like you can put a tarp over the rides during winter. These things get beatings.

I was in Florida recently and I was looking at older cars and my god, they look so much newer than those same cars up in Jersey. Makes ya wonder about the stability of these amusement parks long term and exactly how they determine whats safe to work. I will say though, the water park over the weekend? Three rides were closed due to safety concerns.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
You missed the glory days of Six Flags, Neo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:50:55 PM by Wyntyr »
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
Ive heard great things, I need to go there. Problem with amusement parks up north, not like you can put a tarp over the rides during winter. These things get beatings.

I was in Florida recently and I was looking at older cars and my god, they look so much newer than those same cars up in Jersey. Makes ya wonder about the stability of these amusement parks long term and exactly how they determine whats safe to work. I will say though, the water park over the weekend? Three rides were closed due to safety concerns.

I agree keeping a park in the north maintained is hard but Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and Darian Lake in upstate New York are all much better maintained and maybe only Hershey Park has the same level of name recognition.

ProjectCornDog

• +11/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »

I agree keeping a park in the north maintained is hard but Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and Darian Lake in upstate New York are all much better maintained and maybe only Hershey Park has the same level of name recognition.

Dayumn and it should be even harder to maintain it in upstate New York. They must have a solid ass team keeping that afloat and rocking.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »
Ironically Darian Lake was a success Flags until it was bought out and fixed up.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Has anyone been to Cedar Point? It's on my bucket list.