Herochat

Weakest characters who can touch Infinity Stones

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
Weakest characters who can touch Infinity Stones
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »
In the MCU, touching an Infinity Stone bare handed can monkey you up in one way or another.  The Orb blew up the Collector's assistant, the Aether infected Jane Foster until it found a more powerful host, and the Tesseract teleported the Red Skull to Vormir so the Soul Stone would turn him into a ghost.  Considering the Red Skull was more or less Captain America's equal, how strong do you have to be to handle a stone?

Loki held the Tesseract and Maleketh had the Aether.  So Asgardian/Dark Elf level?  Would Ronan be above or below them?  He held the Orb for a few seconds.  Starlord held the Orb with help from the Guardians, so I guess Ronan is as physically powerful as all of them combined, which would make him pretty insanely strong, considering what they were capable of in later movies.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
Re: Weakest characters who can touch Infinity Stones
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »
Topped.  I think this could be a good discussion.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
You know, i’m just gonna say it. I’d put my money on Cap.

you’ll never see me coming...

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

I dunno.  Red Skull couldn't do it and the seemed to be equals.  Of course, there's definitely a power creep involved as Cap has pulled off some crazy feats since his first flick but I think the general idea is still that they are on the same level.

Gree

• +42/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »
He would use his will

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »

I dunno.  Red Skull couldn't do it and the seemed to be equals.  Of course, there's definitely a power creep involved as Cap has pulled off some crazy feats since his first flick but I think the general idea is still that they are on the same level.
I thought about that.
In FIRST AVENGER its pointed out the SSS makes makes you more of what you are, so what Cap and Skull are/were is pretty diffent at its core.
I also thought about him shifting Thor’s hammer, and of course, the power ceeep.

I think he’s got a great shot.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »
So do you think the Stones might have more to do with mental strength as opposed to physical strength?  A combination of the two?

TURBODERP

• +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:23 PM »
So do you think the Stones might have more to do with mental strength as opposed to physical strength?  A combination of the two?

Probably a combination of the two, but I feel the Power Stone is likely somewhat different, since it's radiating a bunch of power (the Guardians combined could only take it for a short amount of time and that was with Quill's heritage helping).

Cap might be able to hold the Tesseract for some time, but I don't think he-or even Loki for that matter-could hold the Power Stone unprotected.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:19 AM »
Yeah, i think combination.
I also think you have to take each stone on a case by case basis. The power stone, like TURBODERP pointed out, seems to operate differently. So does the soul stone. I mean, it came off as sentient to me, demanding sacrifice and all.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 05:55:17 AM »
True.  The Aether was slowly killing Jane as opposed to blowing her up and the Tesseract would just teleport people away if they couldn't handle it.  The Mind Stone seemed to hae some side effect as the Hydra test subjects all died except for the Maximoffs.  So some stones seemed to have a different mode of killing an "unworthy" host.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 06:03:23 AM »
I’d drawn a blank on the examples you just pointed out, thank you!

Wonder if someone like Killgrave could survive the mindstone. What think you?

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 07:49:14 AM »
I’d drawn a blank on the examples you just pointed out, thank you!

Wonder if someone like Killgrave could survive the mindstone. What think you?

It's hard to say since we don't really know what happens when organic beings touch it.  We've only seen Vision and Ultron touch it by hand.  Loki held it in a scepter so he never had it directly in his hand (although he held the Tesseract just fine).

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 08:29:59 AM »
Shoot, i hadnt thought of that. No direct human contact.
You’ve really thought this through.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 09:07:06 AM »
Just something I noticed after a while.  It also speaks well of Thanos' mind and body.  Ebony Maw said few beings can hold two Infinity Stones at once, so him holding five n his gauntlet is pretty damned impressive.

I'm wondering what non-MCU movie characters can hold this.