Herochat

The Purge

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
The Purge
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Anyone going to watch this? A ten ep. mini series on USA. I’m gonna carch it, as there’s not a lot on TV right now, and the movies have been interesting to decent.

Dont recall anyone discussing the movies here.

scourge broke first

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: The Purge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
I think the concept works better as an anthology for telling smaller stories, rather than for films.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
Really, the films -are- an anthology, each taking place in a different time in the Purge’s existence.

scourge broke first

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Really, the films -are- an anthology, each taking place in a different time in the Purge’s existence.

That's true. But I think the movie format is a lot more limiting for an anthology. Movies are big and expensive, and come out infrequently, so they lend themselves to big concept stories that play it safe. A TV anthology is cheaper and comes out far more frequently. It would allow for smaller, more intimate, and more experimental stories. If they take a chance on a concept and it doesn't pan out, big deal, you have nineteen more episodes. If a story does pan out, you can always bring those concepts or characters back in another episode, even establish some continuity, which fans tend to go crazy for.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
Ah, very true you’re right!
USA has ten hours to play with. Even w. Commercials thats like 3 more movies worth of time, w. way more flexibility.

scourge broke first

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:11:30 AM »
First ep. wasnt too bad. Had a few interesting moments, and should pick up now that the purge officially started in story.
-There was a party where the theme of masks was famous serial killers/mass murderers, because they paved the way at the cost of their lives & freedom, knowing the healing power of violence.
-Also a cult where a ‘high father’ still unseen, has convinced troubled teens to give themselves on purge night, basically feeding them to maniacs out on the streets.

scourge broke first