Herochat

Don't "Monkey It Up" says Trumpanzee candidate in Florida

Not BAMF

• +20/-13
    • View Profile
Re: Don't "Monkey It Up" says Trumpanzee candidate in Florida
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »
Add me to the list of people who have never heard "monkey it up".
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/09/18/show-9-18-18-study-hall/ (Is Marvel Munchkin any good? We play it and let you know. Then we discuss the best comics centered on kids and/or school)

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
I’ve never heard monkey it up either. That being said, there are a few possibilities:

1. It’s a known expression, America is a huge country with a lot of local linguistic flavor

2. The guy was thinking to say “muck it up” or “monkey around” and mashed the two together by mistake

3. He hates black people and doesn’t care who knows it

4. He hates black people and will say it was just a saying or mistake (see 1 or 2), but is winking to other people who hate black people

I don’t know a thing about the guy but in the absence of anything else in his past that would support the story that this is a deliberate slight, I’d probably chalk it up to a case of foot-in-mouth disease. If he tells his opponent that he’ll smoke him like Harambe in the general election, I’d have to revise that opinion.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I've never understood why it's derogatory to call a snitch a "dog".

Or to refer to something malicious as a "dog act".

I mean dogs are a symbol of loyalty (man's best friend) so how does it get misconstrued to mean the extreme opposite?

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 08:45:19 AM »
Googled it and found this
https://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/monkey%20up

Dictionary of Computing:
monkey up - To hack together hardware for a particular task, especially a one-shot job. Connotes an extremely crufty and consciously temporary solution. Compare hack up, kluge up.

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
That guy doesn't know how to use a computer. Computers are a Chinese hoax.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
Don't know if the guy is racist, but he's obviously a moron.

therock

• +45/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
never heard that phrase

Sound like he really want to call him a monkey...but do it in a wink Wink way
This way when people call him out on it, he could scream about PC culture running amuck and he want to focus on the REAL issue and not indenity poltics..while at the same time contradictory he can talk about we losing our culture if its no wall

A stragedy that could work

80sBaby

• +32/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
The typical phrase is "muck it up." Like Neo said, EVERYONE knows using ape/monkey when discussi g a black person is a no-no...I think this is a dogwhistle but, if it was a mistake, it should be followed by an immediate apology. Has that happened yet?

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
I honestly don't get it. I have zero problems with not saying certain words in front of or referring to certain people. I don't even say fuck and shit in front of some people I know don't like it.

And this isn't a kid who can be too young to know the racial correlation. I find it hard to believe an adult in the US would be unaware and since he's a politician it makes it more unbelievable.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
The typical phrase is "muck it up." I think this is a dogwhistle

You're right about "muck it up" being a typical  phrase...but what the hell does the "dog whistle" reference mean?

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
Working with and marrying into native English speakers from different states/countries has made me realize the language contains all kinds of weird regional phrases and words.  It's really monkeyed up.

Not BAMF

• +20/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
I'll monkey YOU up!

And by that, I mean that I will paint you in blackface.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/09/18/show-9-18-18-study-hall/ (Is Marvel Munchkin any good? We play it and let you know. Then we discuss the best comics centered on kids and/or school)

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile

80sBaby

• +32/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »

You're right about "muck it up" being a typical  phrase...but what the hell does the "dog whistle" reference mean?

As in coded language. It sounds innocent but others know what it really means and appeals to them.

I honestly don't get it. I have zero problems with not saying certain words in front of or referring to certain people. I don't even say fuck and shit in front of some people I know don't like it.

And this isn't a kid who can be too young to know the racial correlation. I find it hard to believe an adult in the US would be unaware and since he's a politician it makes it more unbelievable.

This is how I feel. Like I was explaining to simeone the other day about certain people can/can Not say the N-word. She was complaining about it and I questioned why she'd want to? I know I can't call a woman a bitch, despite them saying it to each other. And I'm perfectly fine with that. It doesn't make me shout about inequality or unfairness. I don't WANT to say that so being unable to doesn't bother me.

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 05:13:30 PM »

A "dog whistle" means a term meant to signal a group of people. Since you're Australian I got a good more direct example for you. Australian politician Fraser Anning recently used the phrase "final solution" when speaking about how to handle immigrant. Final solution is a Nazi term and is used as a way to signal white supremacists.