Herochat

Can Spiderman tank a nuke?

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
Re: Can Spiderman tank a nuke?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »
I can understand where Upper Krust is coming from, comparing Spidey's toughness to the minimum range of Stainless steel's compressive, impact, tensile, and yield would exceed all of it collectively making him funxtionally bulley proof.

That's what should happen, but unfortunately that's not how comics works or portrays it in Spidey's case who's flesh seems no more durable to tear and wear than a normal human when it comes to slice/pierce damage.
That doesn't make any sense and isn't supported by 50 years of appearances. He doesn't have an exoskeleton or the kind of skin you're describing.

His endoskeletal structure is capable of withstanding large amounts of blunt force trauma, but can still be pierced. Marvel editorial actually went over this a couple of times in letters pages. I think Stan himself did in Stan's Soapbox, also.

Uhtceare

• +20/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2018, 02:05:05 PM »
In comics, being able to take a punch is a function of strength, but being able to take piercing/cutting damage requires having the hard-skin power. We often think of durability going hand in hand with strength because most massively super-strong characters also have the hard-skin power. But it is not, in the minds of writers, an automatic thing. If a character hasn't been specifically stated as having skin as hard as steel or diamond or whathaveyou, you can't assume they have it, even if they have massive superstrength.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »
Taking a punch does not have to be related to strength. I can name multiple characters who's damage soak is unrelated to their strength.

Negashen

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
That doesn't make any sense and isn't supported by 50 years of appearances. He doesn't have an exoskeleton or the kind of skin you're describing.

It makes perfect sense, you're just not keeping up :P

I'm fully aware the way Spidey is portrayed in the comics doesn't match what he would actually be capable of, I'm not contesting that, what I am saying is that his toughness is realistically inconsistent or paradoxical to what it shoild actually be.

Like him technically being capable of jumping over 1/7th of a mile, but no writer actually protrays him anywhere near that level.

A 9mm caliber bullet is 1/10th the surface area of a human fist per square inch, yet Spidey is pierced through these same bullets no different than any normal human being which suggests his skin, muscles, and tendons are identical across his entire body to normals humans which makes zero sense.

That suggests the same force spreaded out in a human fist would do serious damage to him which is only 1,387.071 lbs in force, yet Spiderman has endured forceds10-20 times (many levels passed the threshold zone) that with minor to no injuries.

In order for Spidey to punch through, shatter or bend sturdy material like iron/steel with his bare hands his flesh would have to have similar yield, tensile, yield, and Young's modulus to it or higher, otherwise he would end up completely rupturing his flesh on contact.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »

It makes perfect sense, you're just not keeping up :P

I'm fully aware the way Spidey is portrayed in the comics doesn't match what he would actually be capable of, I'm not contesting that, what I am saying is that his toughness is realistically inconsistent or paradoxical to what it shoild actually be.

Like him technically being capable of jumping over 1/7th of a mile, but no writer actually protrays him anywhere near that level.

A 9mm caliber bullet is 1/10th the surface area of a human fist per square inch, yet Spidey is pierced through these same bullets no different than any normal human being which suggests his skin, muscles, and tendons are identical across his entire body to normals humans which makes zero sense.

That suggests the same force spreaded out in a human fist would do serious damage to him which is only 1,387.071 lbs in force, yet Spiderman has endured forceds10-20 times (many levels passed the threshold zone) that with minor to no injuries.

In order for Spidey to punch through, shatter or bend sturdy material like iron/steel with his bare hands his flesh would have to have similar yield, tensile, yield, and Young's modulus to it or higher, otherwise he would end up completely rupturing his flesh on contact.
So it's more that you're overanalyzing comics vs reality than anything that has actually taken place in the books?

Negashen

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
So it's more that you're overanalyzing comics vs reality than anything that has actually taken place in the books?

No, what I'm stating is that his durability does not accurately match his actual shown and stated super strength because "comics yo", that's different.

XerxesTWD

• +101/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »

No, what I'm stating is that his durability does not accurately match his actual shown and stated super strength because "comics yo", that's different.
DIGUSTING

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
Grenades don't harm you by the impact. It harms you by shrapnel and piercing damage is not the same as blunt damage.

I'm talking about overall power and damage.

Or can we not (under the Neo, Xerx, Wyntyr alliance of buffoons) compare Superman's Heat Vision to his punches in overall capability!? Can we not compare Thor's lightning to a blow from his hammer!? Can we not compare Hulk's Thunderclap to one of his punches, etc.

Obviously we can so feel free to stop talking rubbish while patting each other on the back.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »
I can understand where Upper Krust is coming from, comparing Spidey's toughness to the minimum range of Stainless steel's compressive, impact, tensile, and yield would exceed all of it collectively making him funxtionally bulley proof.

Good to know sensible people still exist on these forums.

That's what should happen, but unfortunately that's not how comics works or portrays it in Spidey's case who's flesh seems no more durable to tear and wear than a normal human when it comes to slice/pierce damage.

I agree with you here. They usually treat Spidey as more or less human from some forms of damage.

However, his amazing strength would almost certainly require far tougher skin, tendons, muscles and bones to withstand the rigors of his activities, lifting feats and fights.

By my (love em or hate em) calculations Spidey should almost be bullet-proof (for typical hand guns). Such gunshots may well break his skin but I doubt they would penetrate areas of muscle.

Just as Superheroes can battle foes vastly stronger and survive their attacks, by a similar capacity Spidey should be able to survive large explosions we otherwise THINK would kill him.

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
Yes, a person who can press 10-15 tons should be bullet proof theoretically but Spidey has shown that he is not bullet proof.  Comics can be like that.  Hell, there was a debate as to whether or not Thor was bulletproof and AFAIK, it's never been 100% settled.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
Why would they need to be bullet proof? They would just need an interior frame (bones, muscles, tendons) to support the weight. Their skin really isn't doing much.

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »
Why would they need to be bullet proof? They would just need an interior frame (bones, muscles, tendons) to support the weight. Their skin really isn't doing much.

Well, bullet resistant is probably a better word.  A bullet will break the skin but I doubt it would go through the body and cause any major harm.  Ultimately, my point is that comics is comics and we shouldn't worry about it.

Animalia

• +10/-7
  • Ca nisciun รจ fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
Yes, a person who can press 10-15 tons should be bullet proof theoretically but Spidey has shown that he is not bullet proof.  Comics can be like that.  Hell, there was a debate as to whether or not Thor was bulletproof and AFAIK, it's never been 100% settled.
Problem with someone like Thor is that even going by bios he weights 3X  the weight a human being of the same height\build would.
That's because of his increased density.

That said, these are comics and I wouldnt be happy to see Spidey or Cap soaking bullets.

Negashen

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
That said, these are comics and I wouldnt be happy to see Spidey or Cap soaking bullets.

Would that make Spidey in your eyes too powerful if he was shrugging off bullets and jumping 1/3rd a mile above skyscrapers?

INDRA THUNDERER

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »

Would that make Spidey in your eyes too powerful if he was shrugging off bullets and jumping 1/3rd a mile above skyscrapers?
that would make him the Grey Hulk