Herochat

Weirdest retcons?

ProjectCornDog

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
Weirdest retcons?
« on: August 28, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
I'll start:

Gwen Stacy sleeping with Norman Osborn and having his kid.

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest retcons?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
The story that retcons Lockjaw talking is a bit weird.  There was no real reason to retcon a minor character like that since it could have just as easily been ignored but the explanation given was that it was the Inhuman royal family fucking with Ben Grimm the whole time which is out of character for them.

Not BAMF

• +22/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
The story that retcons Lockjaw talking is a bit weird.  There was no real reason to retcon a minor character like that since it could have just as easily been ignored but the explanation given was that it was the Inhuman royal family fucking with Ben Grimm the whole time which is out of character for them.

Haha what is this?

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »

Haha what is this?

If its what i’m thinking of, a pretty cool cautionary tale for Quicksiver, who wanted to expise hus kud to terrigin(sp) mist, cuz you know, its not enough he had a healthy kid, he wanted the kid to have powers.
From the old THING solo series, issue 3. That story always stuck w. me. Didnt know it had been retconned.   

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:33:53 PM by Riv1 »

breaking scourge...was no challenge

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
One of the most pointless and weirdest retcons I've ever seen was Kevin Smith revealing that Batman peed in his costume during the most iconic scene in Year One:

ProjectCornDog

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »
One of the most pointless and weirdest retcons I've ever seen was Kevin Smith revealing that Batman peed in his costume during the most iconic scene in Year One:

LMAO!! WHAT wow

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »

Haha what is this?

If its what i’m thinking of, a pretty cool cautionary tale for Quicksiver, who wanted to expise hus kud to terrigin(sp) mist, cuz you know, its not enough he had a healthy kid, he wanted the kid to have powers.
From the old THING solo series, issue 3. That story always stuck w. me. Didnt know it had been retconned.   

Yup and that tale was retconned into a practical joke.

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:13:12 AM »
^^^thats...pretty stupid.

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
I think it was either Mark Waid or Kurt Busiek who did the retcon.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
It was Peter David, at the behest of his X-Factor editor. Here's the reasoning behind the retcon as he describes it--I kind of agree with the "why" of what he did, but still thought he could've put a little more thought and care into the actual retcon:

"For what it's worth, I didn't give a damn about the Byrne story one way or the other. I thought it wasn't bad; not great, but not bad. It did, however, frost the flakes of several writers and the "X-Factor" editor, basically because Byrne's story made the Inhumans look like assholes. John Byrne, foremost advocate of adhering to creator intent, ignored not only sequences where Stan and Jack had the Inhumans referring to, and treating, Lockjaw as their pet or dog, but the subsequent decades worth of continuity that did the same.

"So, since Quicksilver was going to be in 'X-Factor,' the writers--and the editor in particular--asked me to take the opportunity to undo that development as quickly and simply as I could. I shrugged, said, 'Okay, boss,' and did so."

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
That makes a bit more sense but yeah, it could've been done better.  Like maybe Lockjaw hid the fact from them or something.

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
^^^yeah, and, in Byrne’s defense? The Inhumans ARE assholes. A bunch of elitist snobs.
 Its not just me saying it, i’ve read several articles across the net that point that out.
Its one reason them ‘replacing’ the X Men never worked/wouldnt work. Theyre about polar opposites, really.

XMinusOne

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
^^^yeah, and, in Byrne’s defense? The Inhumans ARE assholes. A bunch of elitist snobs.
 Its not just me saying it, i’ve read several articles across the net that point that out.
Its one reason them ‘replacing’ the X Men never worked/wouldnt work. Theyre about polar opposites, really.

That's part of the reason I disliked the Inhumans series they had last year (besides it being just bad overall). The Inhumans came across as pretty unlikeable.

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »

That's part of the reason I disliked the Inhumans series they had last year (besides it being just bad overall). The Inhumans came across as pretty unlikeable.

As far as I'm concerned, they've ALWAYS been unlikable.
Truten forever!

Tjackflash

• +4/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
   I always thought that the writers of the Inhumans series were trying to do "Game of Thrones with powers.  They didn't do that well, but that may have been what they were going for.
  As for retcons I've never liked the bring 'em back from the dead stories.  The X-men are especially big on this from the original one from the Neal Adams era of Prof. X having put an impostor in his own place (who gets killed)without telling the team, so he can prepare to fight some alien race who get whupped in one issue.  All the way to the umpty hundred times Jean Grey gets to come back, each time more silly than the last.
'cause justice is the one thing you should always find.