Herochat

Going by "average showings" Thor is barely a mid-tier

gokenadams

• +10/-19
  • I don't really know or care what an outlier is
    • View Profile
Going by "average showings" Thor is barely a mid-tier
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
with this "average feats" policy that alot of morons like to use  neither Bill nor Thor nor anyone is a planet buster. How many times has Bill busted a planet? Twice? I am willing to bet he got his ass handed to him by mid-tiers more often than that. So much for consistency. Hell, I'm pretty sure there are way more times when Thor or Hulk got their assess kicked by mid-tiers than they had a planetary feats as well.

So yeah, let's do some extreme low-balling, shall we?

Thor was: one-shot by Thing once (or twice), couldn't one-shot aformentioned mid-tier super-skrull while weilding both Mjolnir and Stormbreaker at the same time, got hit by She-Hulk so hard he got a migraine, couldn't one-shot Super-Skrull with a sneak attack while being mind-controlled, got hurt by Tiger Shark throwing a car at him, got owned by Moondragon, struggled with Namor while mind-controlled and ordered to beat Namor, gets hurt when punched by Iron Man, got hurt by blast from Cyclops and Havok, struggled with Goliath (you know, the same guy who got owned by Thundra and Bill Foster on separate occasions)... And that's the guy who BRB is supposedly equal to (inferior by feats more like, and that's even more funny).

One-shot by Thing, FF #27:

One-shot by Thing again, New Avengers #33 (notice how Thor isn't shown in a shot where literally everyone else is shown):

And of course, that mid-tier super skrull that owned BRB and gave plenty of trouble to Thor [Secret Invasion Thor #2-3]. Some scans with no fighting (between scans 11 and 12) are left out.

And that, kids, is why you don't seriously use low-ends to gauge what characters are capable of.

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Going by "average showings" Thor is barely a mid-tier
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
So you have exactly two low showings for Thor and you're presenting that as average.  I'm not sure you know what average means.

gokenadams

• +10/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
So you have exactly two low showings for Thor and you're presenting that as average.  I'm not sure you know what average means.

i couldnt post more because disk is full.

but Thor #465, fails to one-shot Super-Skrull with a sneak attack and almost gets beaten afterward

Tiger Shark throws a car and it hurts

Iron Man in some old armour harmed him

vs Namor, can't one-shot him with a sneak attack and struggles with him in h2h (Fantastic Four Atlantis Rising #1):

Hurt by Cyclops and Havok, no idea about the issue, but probably something Axis-related:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11122/111224497/6577135-0025422241-maxre.jpg

then there's his fight vs Goliath (Avengers #276-277)

How Goliath  is handled by Bill Foster (Marvel Comics Presents #118)

Or by Thundra [Thunderbolts #4]:

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
Thor getting hurt by Tiger Shark, Thundra, Goliath, Namor, Cyclops, Havok, etc are not mid-tier showings as those characters regularly hurt top-tiers.  Havok, Namor, and Iron Man have all KOed Hulk at different times for instance.  Meanwhile, Super Skrull has taken shots from the likes of Surfer and kept going, so Thor not one-shotting him isn't a low showing.

Aside from that, you're failing math here.  Thor has been around for 50 years and has had several thousand appearances.  If you come up with a small handful of low showings, that's not the average.  That's the whole point of going by averages.  We ignore the flukes and focus on what is more typical for the characters.

gokenadams

• +10/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
Thor getting hurt by Tiger Shark, Thundra, Goliath, Namor, Cyclops, Havok, etc are not mid-tier showings as those characters regularly hurt top-tiers.  Havok, Namor, and Iron Man have all KOed Hulk at different times for instance.  Meanwhile, Super Skrull has taken shots from the likes of Surfer and kept going, so Thor not one-shotting him isn't a low showing.

Aside from that, you're failing math here.  Thor has been around for 50 years and has had several thousand appearances.  If you come up with a small handful of low showings, that's not the average.  That's the whole point of going by averages.  We ignore the flukes and focus on what is more typical for the characters.

NONE OF THEM are high tiers consistently wtf are you talking about.  bruh even Spidey has hurt high tiers, DOESN'T mean anything. i feel like you just wanna argue just because, wtf are you even talking about

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »

NONE OF THEM are high tiers consistently wtf are you talking about.  bruh even Spidey has hurt high tiers, DOESN'T mean anything. i feel like you just wanna argue just because, wtf are you even talking about

I never said any of them were top-tiers.  I said they have the power to hurt top-tiers.  And they do.  Consistently.

As for the rest of my post, I'm talking about the law of averages.  If a character like Thor who has had thousands of appearances over the course of 50 years has consistently high showings, a handful of low showings changes nothing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:01:43 AM by AP »

gokenadams

• +10/-19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »

I never said any of them were top-tiers.  I said they have the power to hurt top-tiers.  And they do.  Consistently.

As for the rest of my post, I'm talking about the law of averages.  If a character like Thor who has had thousands of appearances over the course of 50 years has consistently high showings, a handful of low showings changes nothing.

no one but you ever heard of the law of averages idiot

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
law of av·er·ag·es
noun
the principle that supposes most future events are likely to balance any past deviation from a presumed average.

I promise you, I did not make it up, nor did I make up the rules for these boards.  Just because you don't understand averages, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Negashen

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
with this "average feats" policy that alot of morons like to use 

no one but you ever heard of the law of averages idiot

Clearly this is someone worth responding to.

XerxesTWD

• +99/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »
This is one of the absolute dumbest threads I've ever seen posted on a comic message board.

Definitely nominating for HoF. Do we have a second?

HalloweenJack

• +36/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
seconded.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
Law of averages not being a thing is probably best dumb thing someone has said in a while.

AP

• +117/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
Yeah, this one is gold.