Herochat

What are Spider-Man's best fight scenes?

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
Re: What are Spider-Man's best fight scenes?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
I love old comics where they can destroy entire city blocks and say, "Yep, I somehow know for a fact the economy is shitty enough that entire blocks are abandoned in New York... Also, no homeless people were squatting there, I'm sure."

Who said that was the thought process? Perhaps the thought process was more along the lines of: "I pray to God no one's in any of those abandoned buildings, because I can't keep dodging Firelord much longer, and if I don't stop him quickly, I'm dead for sure."

AP

• +116/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
You missed the point.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Which was...?

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »
If that was supposed to be the writer's thought process, that may not have been what went through his head either. Perhaps what went through his head was more along the lines of: "Those buildings were definitely unoccupied, because that's what works best for the story, and since I'm the writer, I get to dictate things like that."

AP

• +116/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
You're over thinking things.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
I would've said you and Neo were putting more thought into the story and DeFalco's supposed intentions than I was, at least until I was responding to you guys. Me, I just took it as a dumb, fun comicbook story all these years, and didn't attempt to dissect all the potential problems with it, or the thought process, if any, behind them.

NeoGreenLantern

• +92/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
Yeah but we are talking about the best Spider-Man fights. He has so many great fights why bother putting a fight on the list that's only superficially cool?

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 06:36:43 PM »
Because it's legitimately one of Spidey's greatest battles in my opinion. It's certainly his ultimate David vs Goliath moment, not solely because of the power level differential involved, but because of the epic presentation of the fight. That Maximum Spider thing he pulled at the end was fucking awesome, and unprecedented at the time.

AP

• +116/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
I would've said you and Neo were putting more thought into the story and DeFalco's supposed intentions than I was, at least until I was responding to you guys. Me, I just took it as a dumb, fun comicbook story all these years, and didn't attempt to dissect all the potential problems with it, or the thought process, if any, behind them.

I'm not even talking exclusively about that particular fight anymore.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
Is that a recurring thing in comics? Abandoned city blocks getting destroyed? I don't think I've seen that happen too often. I can't actually recall another instance of that happening off the top of my head.

AP

• +116/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »
You can't think of a single instance in which one or more buildings get knocked down during a comics fight with someone remarking that the buildings are empty in some way or form?  Okay, then.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Single buildings, sure. Not entire blocks, not off the top of my head. And you did say entire blocks, twice in the same post.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
I just thought of the Thing/She-Hulk fight in FF #299, where they leveled multiple condemned buildings, with the demolition crew cheering them on for saving them alot of time and effort. Although in the case of buildings that were scheduled for demolition anyway, you'd think they'd be inspected on a daily basis to ensure no one was squatting there.

Same thing could apply in the Spider-Man issue, since we saw one of the empty buildings actively being demolished. It may be that there was a regeneration project underway, rather than these buildings simply being left to rot.

AP

• +116/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
Do you get off on being pedantic?

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Ooh, here's another one:

From the prose novel Revenge Of The Sinister Six, by Adam-Troy Castro, Spidey vs. the Sinister Six.

Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Mysterio, Electro (who still has his 90s DeFalco power-up), and Pity (an original villain; more on her later). The sixth, Chameleon, is off doing other stuff, and it's not like he'd make much difference in a fight anyway.

The fight takes place inside the Daily Bugle building. And it's pitch black.

But only for Spidey. The darkness is being generated by Pity, who's prevented herself and her teammates from being affected by it.

Oh, and Pity is also as strong and agile as Spidey. No spider-sense or webbing, but she does have martial arts training that he didn't at the time.

To recap: Spider-Man versus four of his oldest, deadliest villains, plus a new one who's roughly his physical equal. They can see. He can't.

He still wins. And it's written completely believably.
Truten forever!