Herochat

What are Spider-Man's best fight scenes?

ProjectCornDog

• +5/-14
    • View Profile
Re: What are Spider-Man's best fight scenes?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
Does Ben Reilly vs Venom count?

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »
Beating Firelord was a cool/ridiculous feather in the cap for Spidey, but was it actually good?

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
No I don't think so. I'm ok with Spidey figuring out how beat Firelord but he should never had just overpowered him.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
No I don't think so. I'm ok with Spidey figuring out how beat Firelord but he should never had just overpowered him.

I 'sort of' disagree. I had always thought the idea of the Spidey win was idiotic UNTIL someone pointed out Firelord was only listed as Class 50 in strength.

Under that classification this one fight actually makes sense (and its a great fight).

However, the one hiccup is that the Class 50 rating does not make sense when applied to MULTIPLE fights that Firelord has with Thor and also with Hercules. In those fights he appears more in the Class 95 category up there with the likes of Wonderman.

On its own merit though the Spidey-Firelord fight is great.

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
Firelord also fought the X-Men with Phoenix iirc. Spider-Man also should not have class 50 strength even with the symbiote.

But let's look at all the other problems with the fight.
1: the symbiotes weakness.
2: the attacks prior to the speed blitz should have had much more umph than Pete's attack.
3: Pete thinking it's a good idea to endanger the public by blowing up a gas station.
4: Pete thinking a gas station explosion would kill a Herald
5: Pete coming up with the idea that punching him a lot will work after dropping a building on him and blowing him up.

This fight is all about making him look strong which actually makes him look kinda dumb which is the opposite of what a good Spidey fight where he's punching up should be about.

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
Spidey was fighting with the black cloth costume, not the symbiote.

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
Oh shit you're right. But that makes it even worse IMHO since he doesn't have the strength boost or the symbiote messing with his head.

Also my auto-correct needs to stop thinking I mean I'm home when I right IMHO.

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree with everything else.

Not BAMF

• +20/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
It's a NEAT fight with Spidey just dancing all over Firelord with his speed and danger sense. It's interesting and historically significant so I gave it the Honorable Mention.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/09/18/show-9-18-18-study-hall/ (Is Marvel Munchkin any good? We play it and let you know. Then we discuss the best comics centered on kids and/or school)

NeoGreenLantern

• +89/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
Visually its a great fight. I just don't think it really does either character a service character-wise.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
Pretty good list. I'd toss in Spidey vs. the Hobgoblin from AMAZING 249-251, the series of three fights that wrapped up the original Hobby story arc.

This was the first one I thought of.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Firelord also fought the X-Men with Phoenix iirc. Spider-Man also should not have class 50 strength even with the symbiote.

2: the attacks prior to the speed blitz should have had much more umph than Pete's attack.
3: Pete thinking it's a good idea to endanger the public by blowing up a gas station.
5: Pete coming up with the idea that punching him a lot will work after dropping a building on him and blowing him up.

This fight is all about making him look strong which actually makes him look kinda dumb which is the opposite of what a good Spidey fight where he's punching up should be about.

I thought the fight was all about showing Spidey not giving up even when he's out of his depth.

You don't need equal strength to defeat an opponent - most of Spidey's foes are stronger than him of course. In the fight Firelord is arrogant while Spidey is clever (and uses the environment). That said, the fight is totally lopsided in that Firelord barely gets a hit in - I didn't agree with that aspect, but it doesn't ruin the fight because Firelord is a villain after all.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Beating Firelord was a cool/ridiculous feather in the cap for Spidey, but was it actually good?

Depends what you mean by 'good'. Was it enjoyable, exciting, dramatic? If you're a Spidey fan, I'd say it ticks all of those boxes.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »

You don't need to be equal to someone in strength to knock them out, especially not in comics.

AP has already corrected this, but I'll just add the page that establishes that the Black Cat made a cloth version of the suit for Peter prior to that fight.

You mean the gas station explosion, the collapsing building, and the city block Firelord went through head first? Maybe those did have a greater effect on Firelord than Peter's speedblitz. Perhaps Peter's speedblitz was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The gas station was apparently surrounded by abandoned buildings, and he carried the attendant to safety. Also, his reaction to the explosion suggests he didn't think it would be as large as it was. Was this somewhat irresponsible even despite that? Sure, but Peter was only a couple of years out of college at the time, and he was always more irresponsible than older heroes like Mr. Fantastic or Superman or whoever.

He wouldn't have known what Firelord was capable of surviving. He'd never even heard of Firelord before that fight, and hadn't spent that much time in the Surfer's (or any other Herald's) company prior to that. In fact, the Surfer was weakened the one time they'd met before then, but Peter didn't know that, so he could've gotten a false impression of Herald level power from that meeting. Also, Firelord played possum to give the impression that he was either dead or at least unconscious.

He didn't really have any other recourse, since he'd been lured out into the open, and likely would've been fried if he'd attempted to leap away. He was also getting tired, and couldn't keep avoiding Firelord in general for much longer.

You seem to have a misconception about why Peter won. He didn't win because he was stronger than Firelord, or equal to him in strength. He won by wearing down a stronger opponent with numerous blows, the same way rainfall can gradually wear down solid stone. DeFalco repeated this trope against a number of other opponents, and it was made clear in each instance that the opponents in question were far stronger than Peter.

Oh shit you're right. But that makes it even worse IMHO since he doesn't have the strength boost or the symbiote messing with his head.

It makes it better in the sense that it resolves the complaint about the symbiote being vulnerable to heat/flame. DeFalco did later suggest that Peter's strength was boosted by his desperate state of mind, the same way a desperate mother can supposedly lift a car to save her child.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:59:44 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

AP

• +109/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »
I love old comics where they can destroy entire city blocks and say, "Yep, I somehow know for a fact the economy is shitty enough that entire blocks are abandoned in New York... Also, no homeless people were squatting there, I'm sure."