Herochat

Biggest boost in power or skill from movie to movie

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest boost in power or skill from movie to movie
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2018, 02:22:59 AM »
Pretty much what would happen. Maybe Jack Jack could take him.
Dom's kid would be there, quick as a hiccup, and serve Jack Jack DA BIDNESS. You know goddamn well that kid has a Power Wheel that will drag the shit out of anybody ride. Even those goons from the 405.

Wyntyr

• +114/-83
  • Literally The Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 03:43:08 AM »
...but *I'm* from the 405
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 05:51:04 AM »
You’re the exception that proves the rule.

scourge broke first

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »
I'm taking the spirit of this thread as meaning a totally unrealistic or unexplained, even contradictory, boost in power or skill.

Luke Skywalker's progress was insanely quick; nevertheless, he was uniquely gifted with the Force, so it does make some sense.

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »
I'm taking the spirit of this thread as meaning a totally unrealistic or unexplained, even contradictory, boost in power or skill.

Luke Skywalker's progress was insanely quick; nevertheless, he was uniquely gifted with the Force, so it does make some sense.

It wasn't as quick as people think:

In the first movie, he continually has to be saved by other characters.  We don't see him even win a fight until he's on the Deathstar, shooting some Stormtroopers beside Han and Chewie.  Even at the end, Han has to save his life and is the one to ultimately defeat Vader in that movie.  Luke's entire arc was basically making a nearly impossible shot.  He never moved anything with his mind, used a mind trick, or got into a lightsaber duel (he barely even picked one up).

The next movie starts with him being nearly mauled to death within the first ten minutes or so.  He uses the Force to move a lightsaber, but struggles to do so.  Then eh needs Han to come back and save him ("Remember, kid, that's two you owe me.")  It firmly sets up his need for training.  Then he goes off and trains with Yoda and can move things a little bit better and presumably, learns how to fight with a lightsaber off screen.  Then he goes off to fight Vader... and gets utterly stomped, loses a hand, and once again needs other people to save his life.

The third movie starts with him as a Jedi and the build up is mostly the climax with Vader where he finally manages to beat the guy but starts off that fight on the losing end, hides in the shadows for a bit, then when Vader mentions his sister, he goes into a berserk rage to finally knock Vader down and chop off a hand.  Of course, Palpatine then starts to kill Luke and Vader saves his life and dumps Palpy down a shaft.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
^^^damn. That's really good. Yeah, i agree, thats realistic progression for a character, especially in sci fi.

scourge broke first

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 11:50:45 PM »
Nevertheless, based on the standards expressed for Jedi training, Luke has put in a truly small number of training hours, combined with starting at an age way beyond when Jedi's normally start. And yet he's hanging with Vader by RotJ. Luke's progress is much, much faster than Anakin's, whose progress was already way faster than that of any other Jedi in history.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 01:06:29 AM »
Seems more like he started, and  operated/operates, at an ungodly high level, so, not really a -boost- in power.

scourge broke first

AP

• +119/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
To me, Luke seemed like one of the least skilled Jedi/Sith onscreen.  He gets by on his family being uber-powerful and the fact that Vader was conflicted.  I generally think ROTJ Luke gets beaten by most named Jedi and Sith in the movies.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
It's hard to scale him since Vader is the benchmark, and there are conflicting ideas about how formidable Vader was.

Uhtceare

• +20/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
Darsksiders draw their power from anger and hate. Vader didn't have any of that towards Luke. It seems unlikely that he was anywhere near full power in that final fight.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
There's definitely a composite problem of (a) scaling ROTJ Luke to Vader, and then (b) scaling ROTJ Vader to other Jedi and Sith. Both are at least somewhat problematic, but I think the latter is more of an issue. I'm fairly comfortable treating Vader and Luke as at least comparable at that time, even if Vader has an edge, particularly when neither are channeling raw Dark side anger. Luke certainly has more potential power than Vader by that point.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +81/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 09:44:29 PM »
Vader should also be severely diminished as he's half-cybernetic at that point, once Midochlorians became a physical representation of Force potential, instead of an esoteric, spiritual connection to it.

Goddamn, the prequels fucked up so, so much.

MTL76

• +1137/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 03:16:39 PM »
Vader should also be severely diminished as he's half-cybernetic at that point, once Midochlorians became a physical representation of Force potential, instead of an esoteric, spiritual connection to it.

Goddamn, the prequels fucked up so, so much.

It’s a good excuse for why Vader never was able to surpass Palpatine.

I recently rewatched Revenge of the Sith and it’s grown in me.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium