• View Profile
Re: $15 Hero Builder
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 10:54:30 PM »
$3 Luke Cage
$3 Blur
$3 Starfire
$2 Punisher
$4 Telekinesis

Cage’s strength and durability is more than adequate, and TK gives me enhanced durability (as well as pseudo-flight). While TK has the abilith to attack from a distance, Starfire’s starbolts or whatever they’re called are a damn sight more potent. I’m not sure how fast Blur actually is, but faster than 3x peak (Triathalon) is pretty damn good. Punisher is a solid C+ to B level fighter, so that will work for me.

Definitely more of an “all-around” build.

Snake-eyes

• +13/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
I checked the OHOTMU Master Edition, and Forge's intelligence was rated as superhuman there, the second highest ranking on a ten point scale. The only other humans I've seen ranked that high were the High Evolutionary, MODOK, and Mr. Fantastic (the first two of whom have had their intelligence explicitly enhanced). The likes of Doom, Pym, Stark, etc were all ranked lower.

Don't have the OHOTMU so I just googled him and http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Forge_(Earth-616) has his intelligence listed as 4.

Either way, I'm treating "Forge level" to mean you can invent things on the same level as Forge.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:30 AM »
^^^you can treat it however strokes your ego best, guy. ;D

$3 Luke Cage
$3 Blur
$3 Starfire
$2 Punisher
$4 Telekinesis

Cage’s strength and durability is more than adequate, and TK gives me enhanced durability (as well as pseudo-flight). While TK has the abilith to attack from a distance, Starfire’s starbolts or whatever they’re called are a damn sight more potent. I’m not sure how fast Blur actually is, but faster than 3x peak (Triathalon) is pretty damn good. Punisher is a solid C+ to B level fighter, so that will work for me.

Definitely more of an “all-around” build.
Pretty close to mine, though i opted for a more powerful energy attack over greater speed.
In the Mystery Men universe i’m still gonna basically be Superman, and, i really like Havok’s energy efeects visually.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 02:01:13 AM »
Regarding your point on the currency of various powers in comicbook battles, I'm assuming that as an autonomous being, I wouldn't be bound by things like PIS and CIS. If I'm right about that, then my Thing/Flash/Forge combo may actually make me more formidable than you with your Superman/Speed Demon/Forge combo. But even if I'm wrong, I wouldn't be looking to fight you or anyone else anyway, and if you wanted to fight me for whatever reason, I'd probably just run off and leave you eating my dust. :)

Your other points make sense, and I'm essentially in agreement with them.

As for the degree of PIS/CIS in a comic book universe, well that is the key point. I don't like terms such as PIS or CIS, as I feel they don't accurately represent what is happening. That said, I get your point about them. However, if you get to turn of 'CIS' and 'PIS' in a comic book universe, then so will everyone else. And that means the comic book universe one would join would in fact look very different from the universe in the actual comics. Flash might be the #1 hero in the DCU, for example. Everything would be strange.

The Shuruku Demon

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »
Your other points make sense, and I'm essentially in agreement with them.

As for the degree of PIS/CIS in a comic book universe, well that is the key point. I don't like terms such as PIS or CIS, as I feel they don't accurately represent what is happening.

How do you see it then?

That said, I get your point about them. However, if you get to turn of 'CIS' and 'PIS' in a comic book universe, then so will everyone else. And that means the comic book universe one would join would in fact look very different from the universe in the actual comics. Flash might be the #1 hero in the DCU, for example. Everything would be strange.

I don't view it as turning off PIS and CIS, because for real people like you and I, they were never applicable in the first place. If we were to physically enter the Marvel or DC universe, we'd be anomalies there, able to think in ways that actual comicbook characters simply can't.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
we'd be anomalies there, able to think in ways that actual comicbook characters simply can't.
That level of genre savviness is something i’ve often thought about in threads where relocating to a fictional universe is an option.   
Honestly it’d be almost like another super power.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

The Shuruku Demon

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »
I imagine a real world comicbook fan entering the Marvel or DC universe would be a bit like that kid in Last Action Hero entering the world of Jack Slater. That kid went in armed with knowledge of all the action movie tropes and cliches which Slater himself was completely oblivious to.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
^^^exactly. And that would come in SO handy!

The only thing we’d need to be careful of would be our own genre -blindness-.
There was a part in the movie, for example, where the kid’s rushing headlong into danger when he exclaims “wait, i’m not the hero, i’m the comedy relief!”

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +77/-16
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »
Another build...going for more of a top-tier character...

Strength: $5 Hercules
Speed: $2 Triathalon
Blast: $2 Bio-Electric Blast
Skill: $5 Shang-Chi
Misc: $1 Intuitive Inventiveness

My thought is that top-tier strength and A-list skill, coupled w/ 3x peak human speed is a very potent combo. Reminiscent of old-school Wonder Woman IMO. Bio blasts are a good offensive option/distraction, and I figure I can enhance them, my speed or give myself some method of travel with an invention.

The Shuruku Demon

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
As far as an across-the-board power set goes, I'd probably take this if I were to live in a comicbook universe and be an actual superhero type. I was tempted to go with Quicksilver level speed and Spider-Woman level blasts, but I don't think I'd have much use for the blast power at anything less than Havok's level, hence the compromise on speed which would still be useful at Blur's level:

$5 Hercules level strength/durability
$3 Blur level speed
$4 Havok level blasts
$2 Punisher level fighting skill
$1 Forge level engineering

And if I had total freedom to spend the $15 any way I wanted, I'd go with this:

$5 Hercules level strength/durability
$5 Quicksilver level speed
$4 Justice level telekinesis
$1 Forge level engineering

The Shuruku Demon

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2018, 08:04:55 PM »
You know, Riv, I think you actually have the Havok and Cyclops level blast powers priced the wrong way round. Havok's blasts have generally looked more powerful to me over the years.

Also, I don't think Luke Cage level strength/durability is the best midway point between Spider-Man and Thing level strength/durability, considering that Luke is knocking on the Thing's door in strength these days, and was always closer to the Thing in durability than Spidey. A better pick for that slot would be someone like Valkyrie or Sabra IMO, who at 45 and 50 tons level respectively are more of a genuine midway point between Spidey and the Thing in strength and durability.

Finally, I think the Nightcrawler level teleportation is probably a little overpriced, which may be partly why nobody's picked it. You could lower it to the $2 level and put something else in the $3 slot, or alternatively, I'd suggest putting more powerful teleportation at that level. Jumper level teleportation, say, that'd allow a person to easily 'port around the globe. Or you could use Azazel or Vanisher's teleportation, if you want to stick to Marvel/DC characters. I believe they're both somewhat superior to Kurt in that respect.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:28:29 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »
I agree w. a lot of what you pointed, but when filling out the categories, i went with characters that are generally accepted as being at a certain level, seen a certain way, to hopefully not have the thread turn into a pissing contest on who’s character was better, who should be where, jobber this and that.

I really just wanted ppl to pick some power sets, at least initially, before discussions broke out, if any happened to!

I mean, you wouldnt believe how these things can segue.
From Snake-eyes rating himself a RL genius just below Forge, to over at KMC, a guy overthinking the hell out of super speed, wanting me to guarantee he wouldnt splat himself running into things, because i cut IMP/speed force tricks from the Flash’s power set.

That same guy actually picked teleportation, BTW, going at it w. another poster, basicslly assuring us its an instant-win ability.

I can only imagine if i’d added any type of TP as a choice... :o

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Snake-eyes

• +13/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 01:42:01 AM »
I never rated myself a real life genius, you either have a reading comprehension problem or you're a liar.

Riv1

• +55/-1042
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 01:49:06 AM »
Or you're just WAY too anal about this entire subject:

However you need to try and spin it so you can believe you’ll be at genius level, guy, despite not being one.

As long as i get your pretend money, up front. :D

Forge isn't a genius either, even with his ability his intelligence is only listed at a 4(gifted).

And what are YOU listed at? Cuz thats what you’ve got to work with.

Based on their rankings; 3 and that is without intuitive intelligence, so with it I should be at least a 4, maybe a 5.

Its amazing what’ll get ppl wound up on a fucking comic book message board.

Look, guy, you said some stupid shit, and if i wanna bring it up in conversation w. someone else, suck it the fuck up, ‘genius’.

SCOURGEBREAKING
SINCE JULY 2017

Snake-eyes

• +13/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 01:56:31 AM »
Thank you for proving my point; I rated myself at a 3 which is only above-average, genius on their scale is a 5.