Herochat

$15 Hero Builder

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
Re: $15 Hero Builder
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:34:40 AM »
The Forge level intuitive intelligence power is the only one needed, all the others are just for flavor. We are not hampered by comic pis/cis.

How so? His power isnt without limits.

Forge is a mutant with a superhuman intuitive talent for inventing mechanical devices, backed up by the ability to visually perceive mechanical energy in action. This power allows him to instinctively recognize the potential and functional uses of any machine or technological device in his visual range, a skill that combined with his natural intelligence gives him the ability to conceive, design and build highly advanced mechanical devices; and operate, modify and disassemble existing technology or create countermeasures for it. Forge's superhuman talent for invention does not mean that he is of a superhuman intellect.....even a genius at invention must for the most part consciously work out the theoretical principles behind the invention and then the design of the invention itself through a series of logical steps. In Forge's case, however, many of these logical steps are worked out by his subconscious mind. Hence, Forge himself might not be entirely aware of exactly how he figured out how to create an invention of his. Sometimes, he must disassemble a device he has made to even figure out how it works.

You’re still working w. your own intelligence here, so, hopefully you’re already pretty good at inventing shit, and designing machines.

Wealth & Fame he ignores, breaking scourge, is his reward. Look out!

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
So what level are you limiting our effectiveness compared to Forge if we choose his ability. 100%, 80%, 60%, 1% etc etc etc?

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 08:13:48 AM »

Went across the board for mine:

$3 Luke Cage strength
$2 Triathlon speed
$4 Havok plasma blast
$2 Punisher h2h
$4 Vance Astro TK
Cage gives me a nice strength to invulnerability ratio, leaving money for other things i want.
Triathlon speed is less than nothing compared to the rest of the speed list, but running (and reacting) at 100mph in itself is no joke, and very useful.
Havok’ plasma blast is powerful, and honestly just looks hella cool.
Punisher h2h is just to go by my own rules, as fighting skills arent a priority.
Astro’s TK i’d use mostly to fly (and who doesnt want to fly?). Its applications i’d keep under my hat, for emergencies.

RW applications werent really a concern, as i wouldnt want to be the only meta on earth.
I also opted not to ‘set up’ at DC, as their strict power heirarchy would pigeonhole me as a C lister off the bat, and even if given the chance, i wouldnt want to be anywhere near the JLA as its currently being written.
Marvel’s much more appealing right now, but i wouldnt be a huge player there either, and i have enough ego to -want- to be.
So, looking somewhere in between RW and The Big Two. Settled on the Mystery Men (film) reality, where i could be a huge fish in a small pond.
It was shown to actually have super powered individuals, but the levels were so low, my power set would be seen as off the charts.
There’s also an established, if dinky, superero community, which i could fall into easily.
I’d basically be on vacation w. super powers.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
So what level are you limiting our effectiveness compared to Forge if we choose his ability. 100%, 80%, 60%, 1% etc etc etc?
100% of what you can do w. it.
I hadnt made a point of it, but i forgot how his power is often misunderstood until i saw your post.
I mean, its a GOOD power, no matter your intelligence, but there’s a reason it only costs a dollar.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »
So eventually 100% of Forge's effectiveness, thank you.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
However you need to try and spin it so you can believe you’ll be at genius level, guy, despite not being one.

As long as i get your pretend money, up front. :D

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »
I had some trouble with my reading comprehension, SD. For both the comics and the real world universes respectively, what would be your specific goal(s) when assembling a power set, and then precisely which combination would you pick to best achieve that goal.

For the real world, I'm drawn to powers which enhance my health and wealth, allow me to travel the world quickly and easily, and powers which generally make life easier or more pleasurable in one way or another. I wouldn't want to reveal my powers publicly, so I'd favour inconspicuous powers over conspicuous ones. And I wouldn't be looking to get into fights, so powers that are primarily geared for offense don't hold much appeal for me, unless they come with other fringe benefits like an increased lifespan or healing.

In the case of this thread, I assumed you didn't get such fringe benefits with the super-strength, just strength & durability. I may've assumed incorrectly, and if I have, that'd greatly increase the appeal of the Superman level strength, and perhaps the Hercules level strength even moreso, if it comes with his immortality. (Come to think of it, I didn't consider whether I'd get Flash level accelerated healing along with Flash level speed.)

As for my priorities in a comicbook universe, I'd still ideally want all the same enhancements I'd choose for the real world, but I'd have to balance that with the potential need to defend myself against superpowered beings, hence the increased appeal of innate super-strength & durability. I wouldn't necessarily make maximum formidability my absolute top priority though, since my preferred lifestyle would be one where I'm out of the action as much as possible, rather than in the thick of it and having to endure it.

Regarding your point on the currency of various powers in comicbook battles, I'm assuming that as an autonomous being, I wouldn't be bound by things like PIS and CIS. If I'm right about that, then my Thing/Flash/Forge combo may actually make me more formidable than you with your Superman/Speed Demon/Forge combo. But even if I'm wrong, I wouldn't be looking to fight you or anyone else anyway, and if you wanted to fight me for whatever reason, I'd probably just run off and leave you eating my dust. :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:51:07 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »
However you need to try and spin it so you can believe you’ll be at genius level, guy, despite not being one.

As long as i get your pretend money, up front. :D

Forge isn't a genius either, even with his ability his intelligence is only listed at a 4(gifted).

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
And what are YOU listed at? Cuz thats what you’ve got to work with.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
And what are YOU listed at? Cuz thats what you’ve got to work with.

Based on their rankings; 3 and that is without intuitive intelligence, so with it I should be at least a 4, maybe a 5.

Riv1

• +64/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
hahaha whatever guy, you are a mad genius and will rock w. your $1 pick.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
My understanding of Forge's power is that it doesn't really have much to do with his general intelligence. So if you get that power, you should probably be able to build anything he could with it, regardless of whether your general intelligence is as high as his or not.

There was a Marvel UK character called Killpower who possessed a similar affinity for technology, allowing him to rebuild the Death's Head II cyborg after it was blown to bits, but his general intelligence was that of an average 10-year-old.

Few more questions for you, Riv:

1) Does Superman level strength come with other fringe benefits of his physiology, like his enhanced healing and possible extended lifespan?

2) Does Hercules level strength come with his immortality?

3) Does the Flash level speed come with their ability to heal at an accelerated rate?

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »
hahaha whatever guy, you are a mad genius and will rock w. your $1 pick.

Marvel's scale was 1.Slow/Impaired  2.Normal 3.Learned 4.Gifted. 5.Genius 6.Super-genius 7.Omniscient even with his ability Forge was only at a 4, which means without it he's at best a 3, maybe even a 2.

Snake-eyes

• +14/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 09:00:06 PM »
My understanding of Forge's power is that it doesn't really have much to do with his general intelligence. So if you get that power, you should probably be able to build anything he could with it, regardless of whether your general intelligence is as high as his or not.

There was a Marvel UK character called Killpower who possessed a similar affinity for technology, allowing him to rebuild the Death's Head II cyborg after it was blown to bits, but his general intelligence was that of an average 10-year-old.

That was my thought as well, as I imagine the whole point of offering it as a choice was to give people access to comic book level super-science. Riv just didn't appreciate how broken that would be in practice, so he's trying to gimp it.

The Shuruku Demon

• +32/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
I checked the OHOTMU Master Edition, and Forge's intelligence was rated as superhuman there, the second highest ranking on a ten point scale. The only other humans I've seen ranked that high were the High Evolutionary, MODOK, and Mr. Fantastic (the first two of whom have had their intelligence explicitly enhanced). The likes of Doom, Pym, Stark, etc were all ranked lower.