Herochat

What has Aaron done?

Gree

• +43/-6
    • View Profile
What has Aaron done?
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »
What happened to this guy man?

He annihilated Doctor Strange (Who are the eternals??), has ruined Thor.

Wtf.

Man I miss Hickman and good writers

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
Re: What has Aaron done?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:16:55 AM »
I actually started as an Aaron fan, from his Wolverine work. But since then and even during that run, He's lost me. His writing is all over the place in tone.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »

Wtf.

I suspect the ruination of such characters is on purpose either on a conscious or subconscious level. With many of the modern comic pros seemingly Political Agenda >> Story/Character Development.

Aaron started well with Thor (albeit in a ridiculously decompressed story) and that bought him a lot of good will allowing him to get away with his later character assassination of 'Odinson'.

Ultimately though the die was cast from the beginning when they put an Atheist + Feminist on a book about an Alpha Male God.

Gree

• +43/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »
He’s trying to mimic Ragnoraks tone in Avengers for Thor and it’s not working for comic Thor. It’s written for children

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
He’s trying to mimic Ragnoraks tone in Avengers for Thor and it’s not working for comic Thor. It’s written for children

Ragnarok had comedy but it balanced that against Thor being a handsome badass, great action scenes and the situation being extremely dire.

Aaron has kept the comedy but his Thor is an unworthy, unattractive, grimacing, goofy coward. Similarly the situation is also a joke and nothing is to be taken seriously (talking dog, 'bomb' hammers, stars circling around enemies heads, etc.).

As Gree notes; its written (and drawn/coloured) for children BUT this Thor is not an aspirational role model (especially not for boys). But as noted previously Aaron does not want people to see Thor Odinson as a hero.

Jane-Thor is the true hero according to Aaron - despite her actions (such as abandoning her husband and son; lifting the hammer for selfish reasons) she is worthy to lift Mjolnir (ostensibly because she has a vagina).

Thor, who has saved the world a hundred times over is unworthy (because he has a penis*).

*Though arguably Mjolnir could be construed as representative of a phallic symbol, and as such Jane first stealing it and subsequently destroying it forever is a powerful allegory.

'Fortunately' Aaron has taken it upon himself to emasculate Thor at every opportunity, so no doubt when he becomes enough of an effeminate cuck, purging the last trace of masculinity from his body he might become worthy again; albeit Aaron already destroyed Mjolnir.

Uhtceare

• +19/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »

Ragnarok had comedy but it balanced that against Thor being a handsome badass, great action scenes and the situation being extremely dire.

That and Disney Thor still has gravitas despite being a fundamentally comedic character. When Thor talks about how he's killed countless foes, and if Thanos turns out to be the one who kills Thor instead, well, "what more can I lose?", you feel for him. He's lost his father, mother, brother, best friends, and land in a very short time, and it's not played for laughs at all.

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »
Much of my Marvel love used to be tied around Thor and other Asgardian characters. But through misuse and inactivity they have have pretty much killed Thor and company for me.

95% of what feeling remains is tied to sheer nostalgia. For what once was. Read Walt. Now THAT was Thor.
Sig : Sydney Maler

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
That and Disney Thor still has gravitas despite being a fundamentally comedic character. When Thor talks about how he's killed countless foes, and if Thanos turns out to be the one who kills Thor instead, well, "what more can I lose?", you feel for him. He's lost his father, mother, brother, best friends, and land in a very short time, and it's not played for laughs at all.

Exactly, Thor (in Ragnarok*) has this contrast between comedy, action and tragedy, its a very well balanced movie.

*And that tone is carried forward in Infinity War

You could argue that the first Thor movie had comedy and tragedy but lacked in the action/spectacle department. While Dark World was a bit too dour and drab (locations for instance) in tone and again the action scenes weren't great.

Animalia

• +9/-7
  • Ca nisciun è fess!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
Such a shame this guy is able to write some good stuff.
I have read in the past "Scalped",aside some minor problem it was pretty solid.
Confused to see the kind of bullshit years later he's putting in comics he writes.

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:42:10 PM »
Scalped was a huge critical success. He was the first person to write a good Wolverine solo book in what felt like eons, first in the Weapon X book or whatever, then in the highly-enjoyable Wolverine/Spider-Man, all the way up through Wolverine & the X-Men. He got in two enjoyable Thor arc, maybe 3....and then he started just completely fucking everything he touched up. And yeah, he really butchered the entire Thor mythology - Mjornir, Thor the character, Odin, he writes a shit Beta Ray Bill, etc. Likewise, his Strange direction...awful. And he writes groups and events little different from Bendis in that everyone is the same Jason Aaron character, or whatever character Jason Aaron needs them to be in a given moment.

It always sucks watching someone you enjoyed fall into hackdom, and he's the hardest fall I've seen for a bit.

Gree

• +43/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »
Man the writing is so god damn bad

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 07:43:31 PM »
I thought he was decent up until around the time Galactus started puking. After that it just seemed like he started going downhill.

Visitor-Q

• +15/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »

Wtf.

I suspect the ruination of such characters is on purpose either on a conscious or subconscious level. With many of the modern comic pros seemingly Political Agenda >> Story/Character Development.

Aaron started well with Thor (albeit in a ridiculously decompressed story) and that bought him a lot of good will allowing him to get away with his later character assassination of 'Odinson'.

Ultimately though the die was cast from the beginning when they put an Atheist + Feminist on a book about an Alpha Male God.

Wow.

So how does the way Jason Aaron wrote alpha male Wolverine square with your psychological analysis of him? Or all of the competent, old school manly, Charlie Bronson style bad asses he fills his creator owned work with (Scalped, Southern Bastards)? Then there's the older Punisher in his Max run, who was always the smartest, toughest, most dangerous son of a bitch vs any man or woman set against him, despite having lost a step. Is all of that just a carefully constructed smoke screen to mask his real agenda, the emasculation of Thor?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:58:47 PM by Visitor-Q »

Mightily Oats

• +77/-582
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »
Oh good

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »

Wtf.

Wow.

So how does the way Jason Aaron wrote alpha male Wolverine square with your psychological analysis of him? Or all of the competent, old school manly, Charlie Bronson style bad asses he fills his creator owned work with (Scalped, Southern Bastards)? Then there's the older Punisher in his Max run, who was always the smartest, toughest, most dangerous son of a bitch vs any man or woman set against him, despite having lost a step. Is all of that just a carefully constructed smoke screen to mask his real agenda, the emasculation of Thor?

Haha yeah, seriously. I have my own well-established and serious issues with Aaron's last 4 or 5 years of work, but I think it's because he became a lazy hack or ran out of ideas, not because he's part of some kind of anti-male conspiracy. My loathing of his writing has nothing to do with foaming-at-the-mouth men's rights indignation.