Herochat

Is trump really a racist

MTL76

• +1126/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Re: Is trump really a racist
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
Everyone has prejudices, to some extent. That’s part of human nature. If you persist in applying your prejudices to someone who has demonstrated that they don’t conform to them, that crosses over into racism/sexism/xenophobia/what have you.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »
Sure. At least we are getting more specific. If you kept saying that women didn't have enough intelligence to be doctors, even to a top-rated female neuroscientist, that's pretty fucking stupid. I'd prefer, at this point, to go without the potentially confusing and ambiguous term 'sexist', but I can see why one would use it as such a shorthand, to save time. Nevertheless, given how widely used 'sexist' is today, the term probably causes more confusion than it saves time. Particularly given that if one was to say that one believes that there are statistical group differences in female and male temperaments, one would also likely be accused of being sexist.

therock

• +43/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Sure. At least we are getting more specific. If you kept saying that women didn't have enough intelligence to be doctors, even to a top-rated female neuroscientist, that's pretty fucking stupid. I'd prefer, at this point, to go without the potentially confusing and ambiguous term 'sexist', but I can see why one would use it as such a shorthand, to save time. Nevertheless, given how widely used 'sexist' is today, the term probably causes more confusion than it saves time. Particularly given that if one was to say that one believes that there are statistical group differences in female and male temperaments, one would also likely be accused of being sexist.

don't see why that wouldn't be sexist since your putting a gender all in one box even when reality it may not fit. it just a sexist assumption

like saying polish people not smart enough to be lightbulb changers

I'm just saying that if you tell me someone is 'racist', you ain't telling me much. Be more specific. Almost everyone is 'racist' in some respect--black people included. So what's the 'racism' threshold whereby you can be actively called 'racist'?

I'm not calling any of this good; I'm just saying nuance and specificity would be better than blanket terms like sexist, racist, or homophobe.

would it help if I called trump an asshole as well

to me the threshold when you have a bias against certain races and treat them differently or more harshly

which by the way with in your right. but if your in a position of power then that's an issue

the higher the power the bigger the issue

like the doctor thing. if that guy just a blogger or writing a book I don't give a shot

but if he had of hiring at a hospital that going to be an issue

like if trump was a celebrity only he could run around in a Klan robe and wouldn't give as much a shot

but if he president that a problem

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 12:19:10 PM »
I'm off on a tangent. I don't really know how Trump feels about Blacks and Mexicans. I'm just saying the words 'racist' and 'sexist' are too widely used and it's a problem.

As for Trump, I'd say let's just try to ignore his possible motivations and judge his policies, understanding that doing so is tough. It's also very human to try to gauge underlying motives and feelings. I'm just not sure it is helpful here.

At this point, it's probably most helpful to just tell me where you think Trump is wrong, specifically, without trying to brand his motives in a more general sense.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:23:40 PM by Pillow Biter »

therock

• +43/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
well why wouldn't you question the motives

take trump or racism out if it. say Hillary past a bill which side effect helps a company that directly donated to hillary. you would rightly question the motive even if your not a 100 percent sure what it does and in a long run. the motive already in question

same thing if trumps talks about terrorism at the same times cuts funding domestic terrorism makes me wonder if racial bias has something to do with it

or would his reaction to Charlotte if it was Muhammad weirdmuslinname thay ran over people

or if he would of pardon that rancher if he was black

is his Puerto Rico response might be effect if he doesn't give a shot about those people

is his immigration or war policy influencr

these things effect policy, pardons, laws, maybe the supreme court and voting laws and the general decide in our country

this the same guy who said of your of Mexican decent you cant be unbias in charge

you cant let that be the only factor in judging him but you shouldn't ignore it either

80sBaby

• +31/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »
Yes. Yes he is.

Propeus The Fallen

• +30/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
Yeah. He's racist. Just the birther thing alone.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:09 AM »
Again, because it's difficult to know exactly what one means by 'racist', even speculating about Trump's inherent racism is difficult.

There's no doubt that Trump has appealed, likely intentionally, to "racist" attitudes in some voters. However, Trump may also just be very amoral--he'd do what it takes to win. I think that Trump probably has some general attitudes and feelings about different races, and many might be just wrong. On the other hand, he does seem like the kind of guy who would in some ways see past gender and race in a particular person if that person were really helpful to Trump. His own ego, narcissism and self-interest 'trump' all!

But yeah, no doubt that by the very broad definition of racism most here seem to subscribe to, Trump is a racist. But it's more interesting, to me, to be more specific about his attitudes--granting that this requires a lot of speculation.

therock

• +43/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Well he deffintly plays it up to get his base. So for instance dont know if he really thinks Obama an illegal immigrant with fake college transcripts. But he knows..calling Obama a filithy immigrant who never actully went to college makes his base happy

But stuff like charlote maybe not. Because he got nothing to lose by speaking against that. Since even racist..would understand how he cant OPENLY be  soft of hate groups. Let he seem to hate saying anything against them. Politcally it doesnt make a lot of sense.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
Trump seems to really truly hate a lot of successful black people. Just look at Obama and Labron James.

XerxesTWD

• +92/-25
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
Trump seems to really truly hate a lot of successful black people. Just look at Obama and Labron James.
The LeBron stuff is funny because he used to BEG LeBron for attention the way he did/does Putin. Now he's his usual pouty bitch self because LeBron made him objectively look like the trashy old whiteish-orange guy he is.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
The fact that LeBron strategically side stepped out right criticizing Trump and Trump still reacted the way he did show how things skinned he is.

Trump is obviously willing to work with non-white people if it benefits him but if they don't fall in line he has no problem going after them racially. Again look at the whole birther thing. That might not be white nationalist level racist but it's still racist. It's basically the mildest version of the "nice" slave owner.

Propeus The Fallen

• +30/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Mild? No way. Just look at his words and actions against Hispanics.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
Well I was mostly talking about how he reacts to black people. The way he treats Mexicans is a lot worst and I think it's because he thinks they have nothing to offer him. He's harsh on Muslims too but is willing to make exceptions for the rich and powerful ones if they play ball.

In the end his racism goes as far as he can exploit a person.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:48 PM »
Hes not