therock

• +43/-65
    • View Profile
Is trump really a racist
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
Giving some of the stuff he said or did over the years

is he playing up to racist

or is this some liberal hooey

What takes me away from the playing up to racist...is he already got them..it really no point in still playing up to them

It nothing to gain from "Well there both good people". Think even racist would understand why he got to least PUBICLY..talk bad about nazis.  Let he doesnt

One thing that make me go away from racist..is some of his stuff may that he just bad at governing. Like what ever you think of the immigration thing..it hard to say..what he did was a well run operation. You could deport them...hell cage them and STILL write down the parents name.  Them not doing it...is just them rushing this thing to fast. That not racist that last part, that just being bad at your Job

because governing is an actull skill

Uhtceare

• +18/-8
    • View Profile
Re: Is trump really a racist
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »
He's old-man-racist. Which is to say, he's the kind of guy who will like, even admire, individual members of various races, but he makes ugly assumptions about non-whites in general, and his assumptions color his policies, but he doesn't actively believe in Neo-Nazi politics. Frankly I don't think he has a thought-out political philosophy at all. He just has some old-man assumptions and a reflex to demagogue to gain the favor of crowds. If anything, he's a textbook example of how an old-man-racist with real power and not much brain-power will eventually go down the road of policies that aren't much different in practice from Neo-Nazis.

XerxesTWD

• +92/-25
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
Yes, he's definitely racist and has spent decades proving it.

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »

Xerxes has now confirmed Trump is not racist.
Adult Swim handled this correctly.

Xerxes in regards to Dan Harmon NOT being fired when his baby raping parody video was exposed.

XerxesTWD

• +92/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »

Xerxes has now confirmed Trump is not racist.
I can see how you would think that by not reading the words or knowing what you're talking about.

Registered Sex Offender

• +6/-856
  • Arrested irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »
We all know that whatever you say, the opposite is true.
Adult Swim handled this correctly.

Xerxes in regards to Dan Harmon NOT being fired when his baby raping parody video was exposed.

XerxesTWD

• +92/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Good luck with that one.

NeoGreenLantern

• +88/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 08:59:08 PM »
seems like Letters is forgetting what forum he is in.

AP

• +100/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:54:28 PM »

If this wasn't Debate, that would be a great opening for Xerxes to add a few zingers.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 07:15:06 AM »
I don't even know what 'racist' means anymore.

80sBaby

• +31/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »
I don't even know what 'racist' means anymore.

The definition hasn't changed.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
To be honest, the term was probably always vague and borderline useless. So is sexist. Homophobe. Etc. They are just too broad.

Any term that seems to include an entire spectrum of activity, from midnight lynchings to preferring to date or not date a given race is just too all inclusive. There are levels to these things. Nuance.

We all have many flaws, from bigotry to dishonesty to anger issues, etc. We've somehow elevated any kind of bigotry against certain groups to somehow the worst of all human vices. I can understand why--we're prioritizing because we are trying to integrate multi-racial modern societies and empower groups that were disenfranchised. But we need to have a bit of perspective and nuance.

It's like if a guy is a serial killer, but also thinks a given racial group is somewhat dumber or has weird eyes or has ugly hair, then the worst thing about him is the racism, and not the fact that he's hiding corpses in his freezer.

Unfounded bigotry and prejudice is bad. It should be treated like all human failings, though.

Uhtceare

• +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
Eh, that's not the result of the words being inherently too broad, but rather the result of communal narcissism infecting the narrative. Communal narcissists lack any real empathy for serious problems, instead obsessing with minutia because minutia is more plentiful, and can be attacked via lazier means, thereby giving them to feeling of moral superiority they crave without the requirement of performing any real, strenuous acts of charity or activism.

therock

• +43/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
To be honest, the term was probably always vague and borderline useless. So is sexist. Homophobe. Etc. They are just too broad.

Any term that seems to include an entire spectrum of activity, from midnight lynchings to preferring to date or not date a given race is just too all inclusive. There are levels to these things. Nuance.

We all have many flaws, from bigotry to dishonesty to anger issues, etc. We've somehow elevated any kind of bigotry against certain groups to somehow the worst of all human vices. I can understand why--we're prioritizing because we are trying to integrate multi-racial modern societies and empower groups that were disenfranchised. But we need to have a bit of perspective and nuance.

It's like if a guy is a serial killer, but also thinks a given racial group is somewhat dumber or has weird eyes or has ugly hair, then the worst thing about him is the racism, and not the fact that he's hiding corpses in his freezer.

Unfounded bigotry and prejudice is bad. It should be treated like all human failings, though.

I wouldnt call the guy you describe a serial killer. That would be wrong

But it was also be wrong to pretend  he not Racist.

If people then want to treat him like a serial killer, that would be the fault of the people and not the term racist.

Yes. Equating someone lynching black..and someone who dont want colored to live his their aparements...are differnet levels of Racist. But their both racist

So is Trump full CALVIN CANDIE...so Django uncahin. Naaa probally not. But he may be pretty fucking bad regardless.

Pillow Biter

• +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
I'm just saying that if you tell me someone is 'racist', you ain't telling me much. Be more specific. Almost everyone is 'racist' in some respect--black people included. So what's the 'racism' threshold whereby you can be actively called 'racist'?

I'm not calling any of this good; I'm just saying nuance and specificity would be better than blanket terms like sexist, racist, or homophobe.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:39:58 AM by Pillow Biter »