Herochat

Interesting bit from Ta-Nehisi Coates on writing comic characters

Kallor

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
I saw this in an interview on io9 and I very much agreed with his words.

Quote from: Ta-Nehisi Coates
I can’t write this book as Ta-Nehisi the essayist. I don’t think that would make for a very good Captain America. I have to accept Steve Rogers. It’s like acting; I try to write as an actor. I’m not really in the interpretive place where I ask how true the things Steve believes really are.

That’s the place of the essayist or the critic, but as a writer, I have to believe this dude. It’s the same way that I have to believe T’Challa, you know? I have my own thoughts about kings and queens, but I have to believe that T’Challa believes in Wakanda and the importance of royalty even as he struggles with it. I have to accept that in order to convincingly write the character.

It’s very, very easy to take a character and just filter your own thoughts through them, but that’s not what I wanna do.

- https://io9.gizmodo.com/ta-nehisi-coates-captain-america-is-a-timely-story-abou-1827366981

So many modern writers want to work out their issues at the expense of the character they're writing, often undermining the foundations of the franchise/mythos.  Coates also seems to understand that a good story idea does not necessarily make a good *insert character* story.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting bit from Ta-Nehisi Coates on writing comic characters
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
He's learning from Priest..

80sBaby

• +32/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
Reading the 1st issue, I did get the feeling that he had Steve's "voice" down.

But I've read complaints about Coates Black Panther run and him injecting his own politics into it. I don't think that's the case but it's interesting that it is something he's thought about.

Panthergod

• +45/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
..he clearly shittted on Wakandan culture to inject Western degeneracy into the mythos.

Jabroniville

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
..he clearly shittted on Wakandan culture to inject Western degeneracy into the mythos.
But... but I've heard MRAs whine that he's a black supremacist who carries on an anti-white story! WHICH MORALLY-ABHORRENT CRACKPOT DO I BELIEVE, NOW!?!?!?

Thanos6

• +19/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:03:19 AM »
I saw this in an interview on io9 and I very much agreed with his words.

Quote from: Ta-Nehisi Coates
I can’t write this book as Ta-Nehisi the essayist. I don’t think that would make for a very good Captain America. I have to accept Steve Rogers. It’s like acting; I try to write as an actor. I’m not really in the interpretive place where I ask how true the things Steve believes really are.

That’s the place of the essayist or the critic, but as a writer, I have to believe this dude. It’s the same way that I have to believe T’Challa, you know? I have my own thoughts about kings and queens, but I have to believe that T’Challa believes in Wakanda and the importance of royalty even as he struggles with it. I have to accept that in order to convincingly write the character.

It’s very, very easy to take a character and just filter your own thoughts through them, but that’s not what I wanna do.

- https://io9.gizmodo.com/ta-nehisi-coates-captain-america-is-a-timely-story-abou-1827366981

So many modern writers want to work out their issues at the expense of the character they're writing, often undermining the foundations of the franchise/mythos.  Coates also seems to understand that a good story idea does not necessarily make a good *insert character* story.

That's why if you have a story you want to tell but you're not sure it fits the character/s you're currently writing, you file it away and save it for later.

And if it's a story intended to promote your own beliefs/viewpoints, it's probably best to just invent your own character to be the protagonist, so no one can say you're "hijacking" someone else's character.
Truten forever!

NeoGreenLantern

• +90/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
Sometimes you can make a story work even for a character it might not innitially fit if you take your time setting it up. Like Peter Parker leading a successful tech company.

Not BAMF

• +21/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
Sometimes you can make a story work even for a character it might not innitially fit if you take your time setting it up. Like Peter Parker leading a successful tech company.

Still waiting for you to give an example of such a story working.
https://gotstratosphere.com/2018/09/25/show-9-25-18-mad-sweets/ An Avengers team-building exercise, drinking games, and a review of the Batman/Joker/Harley Quinn classic, Mad Love)

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »

The Professor Hulk run, specifically Hulk leading the Pantheon.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

XerxesTWD

• +96/-26
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »

Wildcats v2 into Wildcats 3.0 did a great job as well.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 05:06:02 PM »

Wildcats v2 into Wildcats 3.0 did a great job as well.

Agreed. It was really cool how Wildcats reinvented itself multiple times, first in Moore’s run where he ended the Daemonite War - off panel! - and remade the team, and then with Wildcats 3.0, which went in another completely different direction.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• +43/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
Killed it