Herochat

Immortal Hulk

Immortal Hulk
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »
Anyone read the first two issues?

Solid start I think. Moody and atmospheric. Hitting some nice horror notes. I was a little worried from Ewing's interviews that this would end being too Bruce Jones-y, and whilst it does have *some* of the vibe from that run it's not got the stuff that made that so awful (no Hulk and completely shitting on established characters and continuity - Ewing has loads of Hulk and is an absolute continuity buff).

His Hulk is absolutely brutally violent. Ewing has said he wants readers to really question whether Hulk is the guy they should root for and he's doing a good job on that front so far.

Interesting tidbit from the second issue - Banner isn't a super genius anymore thanks to the arrow through the head. He's still smart but can't build Banner-tech force fields or any of that kind of super science stuff anymore. He suggests that this Hulk is actually smarter than he is now which makes his brutality all the more disturbing.

Art is really good for the most part but I'm not a fan of the Hulk's face in close-ups, he looks a bit retarded. I can see what he's going for but it doesn't quite work for me and removed some of Hulk's menace.

Definitely on-board with this for the foreseeable, nice to be excited about a Hulk book again. Aside from a brief spell under Duggan which was okay the Hulk book has been awful since Pak left and that was 7 years ago now.

Cheers.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
Re: Immortal Hulk
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
I tried it, but its not what i was looking for in a Hulk book.

Not saying its bad, the issues were really well written, just not for me.
Not right now.
I might revisit in a few months, see what’s going on.

scourge broke first

-K-M-

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
I wonder if they are setting Sasquatch to be a new Hulk villain. As he really doesn’t have a rogue gallery anymore

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
I read and loved the first issue. Need to check out the second.

I like everything I've read from Al Ewing, though. I think he's Marvel's best writer and they need to give him a Blue Marvel series (Spectrum can co-star)

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:58:10 AM »
^^^i’d check that out.

scourge broke first

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
I tried it, but its not what i was looking for in a Hulk book.

Not saying its bad, the issues were really well written, just not for me.
Not right now.
I might revisit in a few months, see what’s going on.

Basically this, although I am on a blanket ban of Marvel books until Jason Aaron stops writing Thor so I wasn't going to buy it anyway.

Read the first two issues. It seemed an interesting (and very well illustrated*) story BUT it just wan't any kind of Hulk story I wanted to read.

*especially for a current marvel book

I can understand what the writer is going for, its an edgier take on Hulk and playing up Banner's mental issues - that could be cool BUT the big problem is going to be the absence of smashing things and in this decompressed era its difficult to advocate buying individual issues you just know are written for the trade.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
As a fan of the Bill Bixby series, I do like the Del Frye references in there.

Dlbiininja

• +117/-13215
  • Destroyer of father of socks self-esteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 01:00:03 AM »

Lol!  You would catch that. Can't lie I grinned when I saw it also.

I like the way their going with this as well.  It's not your standard oh shit it's the hulk.  Let's get the hulk busters/Avengers/blah blah blah.  It's like Hulk running the scooby do mysteries.  Just a bit grimmer. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

The Captain

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »

I'm guessing you also saw the reference "A reporter named McGee put me on the front page of the Arizona Herald.."

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »
^^^The McGee reference was my favorite.

Like Upper_Krust said, though, the lack of smashing is just a deal breaker for me at this time.

scourge broke first

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »
Not too worried about a lack of smashing. It's only two issues and we've had plenty of Hulk screen time, I don't need a rampage or a big fight every issue.

Based on the Hulk smashing Ewing wrote in No Surrender and the solicits for upcoming issues (a fight with the Avengers and some big fights promised) I'm happy to give Ewing plenty of time to build.

Cheers.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
^^^as i said, i’ll revisit the book, when i have several issues to judge by. I’m not willing to go month to month and then realize i’m not interested.

scourge broke first

-K-M-

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
He will be smashing again in Hulk #4-5

Sasquatch in #4 and then Alpha Flight (Space) and the Avengers in #5

80sBaby

• +35/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
I like what Ewing is doing. There's not the smash feats but we've seem those. The past 2 issues have been very character driven, and that's what sets it apart imo. It also helps that each issue had been a relatively self-contained story. That helps with the decompression issue. Ewing also respects continuity and folds it into his stories (hence Banner explaining his loss of skills.)

I dig the horror vibe and Hulk's personality. I like Banner's inner monologue and realizations about his relationship to the Hulk. Love how sadistic, yet justified, Jill's actions have been. He's a monster but a righteous one. That's Hulk.

HalloweenJack

• +39/-9
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »

I'm guessing you also saw the reference "A reporter named McGee put me on the front page of the Arizona Herald.."

I must have missed that one. I was a bit distracted when I was reading that issue.