Herochat

Immortal Hulk

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
Re: Immortal Hulk
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 05:29:37 AM »

I must have missed that one. I was a bit distracted when I was reading that issue.

breaking scourge...was no challenge

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
Not too worried about a lack of smashing. It's only two issues and we've had plenty of Hulk screen time, I don't need a rampage or a big fight every issue.

Based on the Hulk smashing Ewing wrote in No Surrender and the solicits for upcoming issues (a fight with the Avengers and some big fights promised) I'm happy to give Ewing plenty of time to build.

I can (just about) forgive a lack of smashing if the story is building towards some clear smashing (although modern comics rarely use slow builds any longer) but K M raised an interesting point when he noted Hulk will be taking on Sasquatch and the Avengers.

What I always loved about the (classic? ) Hulk (and this is sort of nostalgia tinged of course) was him taking on a new threat (or a threat imported from another comic he hadn't faced yet) and those were some of the most fun issues for me. So its less exciting to see Sasquatch and the Avengers on the horizon - but at least that will hopefully have some sort of smashing component.

But I can see why Hulk fans will overall be happy at the moment because the Hulk is BACK. Unlike Thor whose limp return is just a joke.

-K-M-

• +12/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
SPOILERS....

IMMORTAL HULK #4
AL EWING (W) • JOE BENNETT (A)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
RETURN OF THE FANTASTIC FOUR VARIANT COVER BY ARTHUR ADAMS
• Walter Langkowski is an ex-football star, a space diplomat and a beloved super hero. Walter Langkowski is charming, healthy and outgoing. Walter Langkowski is the opposite of Bruce Banner.
• And Walter Langkowski is going to die today, because he went looking for Banner...
• ...and found the IMMORTAL HULK.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

IMMORTAL HULK #5
AL EWING (W) • JOE BENNETT (A)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
Cosmic Ghost Rider Vs. variant cover by Rahzzah
• Guest-starring Alpha Flight’s Sasquatch!
• The monster inside Bruce Banner is fully unleashed — in a brutal, bloody battle with the monster who made him.
• Blood will flow. The truth will come out. There can only be one winner...
• ...and it won’t be the IMMORTAL HULK.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

IMMORTAL HULK #6
AL EWING (W) • Lee Garbett (A)
Cover by ALEX ROSS
Cosmic Ghost Rider Vs. variant cover by Brent Schoonover
“THE GREEN DOOR” STARTS HERE!
• Bruce Banner is alive — and everyone knows it. Now he’s hunted by the government, Alpha Flight, the mysterious Shadow Base...and the Avengers. And someone’s going to find him first.
• But Bruce has bigger problems. Something terrible has infected him. Something with unspeakable plans for humanity. And the only one who knows about it...
• ...is the IMMORTAL HULK.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

https://static2.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/HULK2018005-cov.jpg

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
But I can see why Hulk fans will overall be happy at the moment because the Hulk is BACK. Unlike Thor whose limp return is just a joke.
^^^so true. Its great when Marvel’s core (non mutant) books get revamped.
I’ve enjoyed Thor’s first 2 issues so far, enough to keep getting it at least. Same w. Iron Man’s debut issue which was hella fun.
Not so much Captain America, which i found way too grim/depressing.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
^^^so true. Its great when Marvel’s core (non mutant) books get revamped.

Marvel sure love those #1 issues.  ::)

I’ve enjoyed Thor’s first 2 issues so far, enough to keep getting it at least.

Been a terrible relaunch for me (was in the LCBS yesterday and 'anecdotally' never seen a book so thick on the shelves as that Thor, they must have massively over-ordered) but glad you are enjoying it - this isn't the time or place for a dissection.

Same w. Iron Man’s debut issue which was hella fun.

Wasn't paying attention to that book I'll have to investigate.

Not so much Captain America, which i found way too grim/depressing.

I suspect this is going to be another polarising Marvel run.

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »
Marvel sure love those #1 issues.
Hey, at least they dont reboot their continuity each time!

Been a terrible relaunch for me (was in the LCBS yesterday and 'anecdotally' never seen a book so thick on the shelves as that Thor, they must have massively over-ordered) but glad you are enjoying it - this isn't the time or place for a dissection.
I’ve never judged quality by sales. If i like it i’ll get it, till its cancelled or that quality goes down /story direction doesnt interest me.

Marvel’s turned me off for YEARS by having every book tie in to seemingly monthly company crossovers. Havent noticed that recently, but if the books i’m getting (Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Marvel Two in One) start going that way, i’m sure i’ll drop them.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »
Marvel sure love those #1 issues.
Hey, at least they dont reboot their continuity each time!

That's because they don't care about continuity though...or death...or stories.

I’ve never judged quality by sales. If i like it i’ll get it, till its cancelled or that quality goes down /story direction doesnt interest me.

I agree with this approach.

...of course I've seen the new Thor book and (IMO) its terrible.

Marvel’s turned me off for YEARS by having every book tie in to seemingly monthly company crossovers. Havent noticed that recently, but if the books i’m getting (Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Marvel Two in One) start going that way, i’m sure i’ll drop them.

I think they got burned by Civil War 2 and Secret Empire so the Event Books have been a lot more low key since.

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »
That's because they don't care about continuity though...or death...or stories
I agree. Thats DC in a nutshell, yeah. :P

...of course I've seen the new Thor book and (IMO) its terrible
Works for me. As long ad you actually gave it a shot!

I think they got burned by Civil War 2 and Secret Empire so the Event Books have been a lot more low key since
For which i am extremely glad.
I cant STAND a book where the writer seems made to put his own plans aside every 1-2 months to accommodate a crossover.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »
This was actually a great read...except for people not recognizing Bruce Banner immediately,or the Hulk!the bikers,& the shooter all said he was "big,& green!??" there's should be no way they don't know what the Hulk looks like at this point in Marvel history!

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »
So is Hulk speaking, does he remember the events of Sakaar through Doc Green? Or is this the Brooding - "Rarghhh" monster?

80sBaby

• +33/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 06:34:37 AM »
Hulk can talk and is intelligent. This had nothing to do with Sakaar or Doc Green, so neither have been mentioned.

80sBaby

• +33/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:21 AM »
This was actually a great read...except for people not recognizing Bruce Banner immediately,or the Hulk!the bikers,& the shooter all said he was "big,& green!??" there's should be no way they don't know what the Hulk looks like at this point in Marvel history!

In the MU, "big and green coyld be the Abomination, Skar, She-Hulk, Super Skrull, etc. There's no reason to assume its THE Hulk. Especially since everyone thinks he's dead.

Upper_Krust

• +22/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
That's because they don't care about continuity though...or death...or stories
I agree. Thats DC in a nutshell, yeah. :P

I'd actually say its BOTH of the Big Two.

The recent Batman and (Bendis) Man of Steel stories highlight this.

...of course I've seen the new Thor book and (IMO) its terrible
Works for me.

I'm happy for you, different people like different books, I got no problem with that.

If you want to read a sitcom Big Bang Thor-ry style Thor with a cowardly, cuckolded Thor then Aaron's most recent relaunch is the ticket.

As long ad you actually gave it a shot!

I've read every issue he has done. Also bought his first 25 issues (before the politics kicked into gear).

The current direction (from Aaron's 5th relaunch last month) makes Thor out to be a joke. But then again in Aaron's eyes Jane-Thor is a real hero, Thor Odinson isn't.

I think they got burned by Civil War 2 and Secret Empire so the Event Books have been a lot more low key since
For which i am extremely glad.
I cant STAND a book where the writer seems made to put his own plans aside every 1-2 months to accommodate a crossover.

I agree with you here. I vaguely remember 'back in the day' that crossover impacts on main titles were handled a bit more organically or even not at all.

Riv1

• +67/-1059
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
I'm happy for you, different people like different books, I got no problem with that.

If you want to read a sitcom Big Bang Thor-ry style Thor with a cowardly, cuckolded Thor then Aaron's most recent relaunch is the ticket.
Patronizing me -and- the product, -and- TBBT, -and- the writer. Nicely done!

I vaguely remember 'back in the day' that crossover impacts on main titles were handled a bit more organically or even not at all.
It was a lot easier to do that when the events werent so pervasive.

INDRA THUNDERER

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

In the MU, "big and green coyld be the Abomination, Skar, She-Hulk, Super Skrull, etc. There's no reason to assume its THE Hulk. Especially since everyone thinks he's dead.
Except there's a big difference between all of those green folk,and THE HULK!...who everyone should immediately recognize,regardless of his having "died"..imo