Herochat

Immortal Hulk

Panthergod

• +49/-85
    • View Profile
Re: Immortal Hulk
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »
damn. might have to start reading this. seems like Priest level combo of fanboy level continuity respect along with genuine craft.

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »
Yeah it was great. Loving it.

Also loved the Best Defense Immortal Hulk one-shot that came out today. Some really great moments in that. It's mostly a Banner story and Ewing uses a cool technique where he drops in panels from the earliest Hulk stories that mirrors Banner's actions in this book.

I love how much of a continuity buff he is. Even the little things... there's a moment in this one where the villain of the piece justifies himself by saying "I just wanted to make them pay." To which Hulk responds: "never stop making them pay... we're real understanding about that." Brilliantly subtle little nod to Planet/World War Hulk.

Finally, it's a great time to be a Hulk fan again.

Cheers.

Just caught up on everything as of last night. Co-Signed in blood.

Also the feel of the book - Genuine Promethean tale and the visuals set the mood that the dialogue/story only solidify. I also appreciate we got a mention of Skaar, considering most Hulk writers have been content to sweep Planet Hulk and the Warbound under the rug.

Hulk's having a personality again is refreshing! No longer a mute colossus or just a deus ex machina for Banner. He's the long-suffering, selfaware monster and he know it. I love the little dialogue bits.

"See I was everything Banner wanted to hide. Everything he pretended he wasn't. You were everything Walters wnted to show the world she was. Only now the line between us is harder to see, ain't it? What do you think... Hulk?" "Cute. What is this, Rocky IV? Lemme help you with that. If he dies... He dies!" *Punch*

Banner also saying Hulk's smarter than he is, but in the subconscious realm of"... hunches and gut feelings. "Srange synchronicities and intuitive connections." - Great way to explain away the non-killable math.

I also love that Banner mentions that he and Hulk used to have dreamscape they could speak to each other in, like in David and Jenkin's run. And How this Hulk mentions that he existed before the bomb, "...maybe I was always there", the gamma radiation was just a conduit to surface. "But this is where I first took a breath. Where I made my mark. Where I got a name." There's a shade a of malice to everything this Hulk does, even in the mic-drop power displays, the since of awe is balanced with horror. I've never read a Hulk book that way - But I love it.

As far as what's infected him. In Defenders: Best Defense - Mephisto mentioned the entity was far more powerful than he. And I'm interested to see what challenges arise after the current arc. Does God have HUlk is an incredible thought and I hope the writing continues on this level of provocation, mystery and holy balls!

Also the art, - I love the kirby-esque stylings of Joe Bennet. But Bennet has more energy to his drawing, something kinetic like Sal Buscema. And the quotes that open each issue set the right tone like hammers to a nail.

Read this.

HalloweenJack

• +41/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
there was also the line about how Ross could have been like a father to him/them.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2019, 12:53:01 AM »
Well, after watching you guys talk this book up for several months i binged 1-11 today.
This is something different, especially in a mainstream title. If this were DC it’d fit into the VERTIGO line.

Glad i tried it.

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge

Bandido

• +10/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:40 AM »
Right?! - Never quite joyful, but edgy fun.

Riv1

• +73/-1062
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2019, 05:51:55 AM »
^^^edgy. Thats putting it lightly!

SPOILER (not really but just in case)

The last panel of issue 12 is one of the most menacing Hulk pics i’ve ever seen really. And not because of overwhelming muscles, just the face.
It wouldnt have been AS effective though, without the story that led up to it.
SO glad i stopped bitching long enough to read this book.

the Awesome Truth is...i broke scourge