Herochat

Family vacation part 50: here we go again

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
Re: Family vacation part 50: here we go again
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:13 AM »
Your in-laws are idiots, and deserve what theyre getting.
Any parents that let that shit slide, and have let it go on for years, deserve every indignity heaped on them.

Looking forward to your next update.

Yeah, that kid will end up robbing a liqour store in the future and the parents will be left wondering how they screwed up.

Master

• +42/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Brother-in-law leans too heavily in religion for answers IMO. He’s heavily conservative and fairly heavy into Christianity (pray for every meal, kids study different Bible verses each week, etc).

Now hey, I know conservatives with kids who turned out just fine. And I go to church with plenty of people who have nice normal kids.

But I think brother-in-law thinks that if his kids believe in Jesus and know Bible verses by heart, they MUST turn out alright. This seems to disregard that this system failed his brother (on wife #3 which is maybe the most miserable marriage of his 3 so far) and his mother (heavy into prescription anti-depressant drugs and just seems zoned out a bit every time I’ve met her). And really it’s just lazy parenting to say knowledge of Bible verses will result in a well-mannered adult when he isn’t being active enough in the parenting process.

He loves his kids in all seriousness. But he just wants sunshine and smiles 24/7, so he constantly spoiled his kids to avoid tantrums/complaining. And he partly lets them get away with unsafe shit because if he sad “NO”, the kids might complain.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Riv1

• +63/-1053
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
^^^this is why characters like Ned Flanders are only funny in cartoons.
In RL, this is sad, and not good for the kids OR the parents.

Two men walk into a bar. I broke scourge! HAHAHAHAHA

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
Brother-in-law leans too heavily in religion for answers IMO. He’s heavily conservative and fairly heavy into Christianity (pray for every meal, kids study different Bible verses each week, etc).

Now hey, I know conservatives with kids who turned out just fine. And I go to church with plenty of people who have nice normal kids.

But I think brother-in-law thinks that if his kids believe in Jesus and know Bible verses by heart, they MUST turn out alright. This seems to disregard that this system failed his brother (on wife #3 which is maybe the most miserable marriage of his 3 so far) and his mother (heavy into prescription anti-depressant drugs and just seems zoned out a bit every time I’ve met her). And really it’s just lazy parenting to say knowledge of Bible verses will result in a well-mannered adult when he isn’t being active enough in the parenting process.

He loves his kids in all seriousness. But he just wants sunshine and smiles 24/7, so he constantly spoiled his kids to avoid tantrums/complaining. And he partly lets them get away with unsafe shit because if he sad “NO”, the kids might complain.

spare the rod and hate the child.

but yeah, he needs to whole ass this parenting thing because when those kids are teenagers, oooohooo shit is he in for a rude awakening.

Riv1

• +63/-1053
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
^^^I have SEEN it. Its not pretty.

HalloweenJack

• +32/-8
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
Same. My stepson tried to get out of control last summer. I tried to reason with with him for a while, and things would get better, then he'd start up with ALOT of bullshit again so I kicked him out. Two months later he comes crawling back and his attitude changed dramatically. Haven't had a problem since,

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Good job, HJ. Kids crave reasonable boundaries. They want to test their parents to see where the limits are, and if no limits can be found, they don’t become happy... they become spoiled to the point that nothing will satisfy them.

Riv1

• +63/-1053
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Its amazing how many of those kids grow up to post on MBs.

80sBaby

• +32/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »

Or society. What do you think happens if/when these kids become teens or adults? Not gonna be good for anyone.

AP

• +110/-55
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »

Typically conservative folks see value in discipline and spanking kids when they mess up.

Riv1

• +63/-1053
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 12:12:29 AM »
^^^maybe he’s just a pussy.

Or society. What do you think happens if/when these kids become teens or adults? Not gonna be good for anyone.
So true.
Other ppl routinely have to deal w. The results of crap parenting, sometimes to dangerous degrees.
I’m not saying good parenting is a guarantee your kid wont grow up bad, but i’d rather err on that side of the equation than the ‘lets pray for your soul sorry i raised my voice to you’ side. 

Gree

• +43/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
Spare the rod

Master

• +42/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »

Typically conservative folks see value in discipline and spanking kids when they mess up.

Yeah, he talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk.