Herochat

Human Superman vs Green Goblin

Uhtceare

• +17/-8
    • View Profile
Human Superman vs Green Goblin
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
Superman gets turned human, and gets into a month-long prep-war with Goblin. Who wins?

Pillow Biter

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Human Superman vs Green Goblin
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
Superman has done pretty well when powerless. I'd bet on him. Gobbie seems like a jobber.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
Superman has done pretty well when powerless. I'd bet on him. Gobbie seems like a jobber.

Any examples of a powerless Superman bringing down a genius with super powers and political pull?

Pillow Biter

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
Maybe I'm too quick to pull the jobber trigger with Goblin. He's probably not a Crusher Creel or the Rhino.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »
Maybe I'm too quick to pull the jobber trigger with Goblin. He's probably not a Crusher Creel or the Rhino.

When have you seen Green Goblin act like a jobber?  Especially considering he has one of the best track records in comics when it comes to villain prep.

The Shuruku Demon

• +25/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
Norman certainly isn't a jobber. He's roughly tied with Doc Ock as Spidey's premiere mastermind villain, and both have been pushed pretty heavily within the last 10-15 years, to the point where they've each operated as Avengers level threats (whilst heading teams) rather than just Spidey level threats. Absorbing Man and Rhino are henchmen for guys like this. Sentry acted as Norman's personal bodyguard.

That said, it's hard to peg how a powerless Superman would fare against an experienced prepper with both having a month to work with. He has been known to prep, but mostly with the aid of his powers, and often receiving assistance from people like Professor Hamilton, Steel or Zatara. There have been occasions where Superman was depowered and made use of Kryptonian exo-suits and things like that, so we can anticipate that much at least. But I can't recall Superman in a scenario where he had to plan weeks ahead for multiple possible contingencies. Another unknown variable is whether or not Kryptonian tech is immune to EMPs, which Norman used to disable Spider-Man's armour quite recently.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:36:23 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

Abhilegend

• +23/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »

Any examples of a powerless Superman bringing down a genius with super powers and political pull?
He infiltrated and destroyed a Kobra base without any prep.

He has tricked Lex one or two times without any powers but not in a fight.

Panthergod

• +44/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
Pretty sure Superman has faced mastermind villains enough to make an accurate assessment: He wins.

The Shuruku Demon

• +25/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Superman beats evil masterminds with his top-tier (or above top-tier, as I'm sure you'd argue) power set to lean on. Villains who are usually beneath him in innate power, mind you; the reverse of this scenario. We've nothing to go on in terms of whether Superman could counter the prep of someone like Luthor without his powers. And any forward-thinking Superman scribe wouldn't show him to be capable of that without help or luck, because a powerless Supes straight up outprepping Luthor would destroy Luthor's cred as a worthy arch nemesis for standard Supes.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:19:49 PM »
Without powers?

He didn't use his powers directly, but I'm sure he had to use his powers at some point in the process of defeating Lex.

Abhilegend

• +23/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
Without powers?

Yes.

He didn't use his powers directly, but I'm sure he had to use his powers at some point in the process of defeating Lex.
No, when Mxy turned Superman powerless by red kryptonite, Clark tricked Lex into revealing the same to him and got his power back.

AP

• +92/-52
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
Supes is good at the riddles and stuff Mxy throws at him, that's true.  I'm not sure that translates into out-prepping someone like Lex or Osborn.

Do you have scans of the powerless Superman fighting Kobra?

Panthergod

• +44/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 11:48:47 AM »
Superman outsmart Luthor all the time, powers or not. He's a supergenius as well. He conquered Apokolips via Prep.

XerxesTWD

• +82/-23
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
Superman's super-intelligence is one of his powers. Why would he still have super-intelligence if he's turned into a human and not simply a powerless kryptonian?

Panthergod

• +44/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Superman's super-intelligence is one of his powers. Why would he still have super-intelligence if he's turned into a human and not simply a powerless kryptonian?

No it isn't.